Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maid is alive. My daughter was sitting in a boring dental school class and randomly did a google search and found this article in the Washington Post. I'd been checking google, but I've been on the coast cleaning up and haven't had computer access. I even called the county coroner this morning. I had given up that she could possibly be alive. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...336.html?sub=AR

So she made it! I got the call from MK when I was on the way back to Jackson and called my friend who went down to the decimated area that she is living. I got to talk to Pat on the phone! We both cried like babies. I'm so relieved and exhilerated. She asked me to call her sister in Pittsburgh and we had a fantastic joyful conversation. The most immediate concern is finding her some shelter. My friend left her some money but there isn't much to spend it on. She is living in a tent with no running water, no potty, nothing! And her two dogs made it and she's added some strays along the way. This brightens my whole year. It also makes me feel very grateful for what I have.

We've been spending the past few days salvaging stuff from our house. It is nasty smelly business because the water is gross and the mold is taking over everything. The house is now empty except for the attics and the downstairs storage building. Our whole life is piled up on the street. The neighborhood now looks like a slum. I'll be so happy when it looks nice again....whenever that is. No amount of whining and feeling sorry for myself can compare with what my maid has been through. I am a lucky person and today has been a very good day.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
OMG!
What an amazingly written story too! I had chills and tears all at the same time.
Only prayer and God could have gotten that story to you like that! Some things are just NOT coincidence!!!
I am glad that you can at least find some peace now in knowing that she is alive.
It sounds like she and her husband have a special relationship.
You seem to me like an amazing person yourself. I am sure you will do all you can to help them get back on their feet again!
Praise the Lord for answered prayers!!!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Isn't it good to hear good stories come from bad experiences? I'm so glad that you have made contact and now know that all is well with her. Try to keep your chin up.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
what AWESOME news, how AMAZING!!! thanks for the update, i'm sure you're incredibly relieved to her she's fine.

continued happy thoughts for you and your maid at this time, i hope all of your friends/family/etc are found alive and well. i just got in touch with a friend who lived in sorrento, she'd been "unheard from" since the storm til yesterday. happy days for everyone

ann marie and the buttercup

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
What great news!!
I'm so happy she's alive and found!!

I can only imagine the mess that lies ahead for you to clean up.
We had a terrible flood here last year in Sept. and there are still things being cleaned up from the floods. I pray for strength, endurance, and patience for you!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm so glad that you have found Pat. She sounds like a survivor, from the story.

I know it has been heartbreaking going through your house. I hope you were able to save things like family pictures.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OMG!!! Isn't that great that your daughter's class was boring!!
What an incredible article and so very sad. Just heatbreaking. But thank goodness she is alive. The scenes from New Orleans are on TV all the time but Biloxi and Gulfport are not and it is sometimes hard to fathom what has happened there. I just remember the posts here when the storm started and that the worst ended up happening.

I am glad you got important items out of your house but know that this cannot be easy for you and yor family. I swear, this morning I was thinking of you and wondering about your maid and then turned on SM and saw your post!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We woke up this morning to this headline and huge picture on the front page of the Clarion Ledger (Jackson paper)

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../509100366/1260

When my friend went down yesterday to give her money there were people from various news sources interviewing her. I hope that the attention will get her some much needed help.

Certainly New Orleans needs the help. There is no doubt about it. The fact that this problem with their levees has been an accident waiting to happen for years is beside the point. The Mississippi Gulf Coast was a thriving, picturesque community prior to Katrina. We need all the attention and help that we can get to recover. I hope that the media will not abandon us.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Omg, Susan you must be so relieved and I am so thankful you have found Pat safe. What an inspiring story of survival and love. I pray that Pat and her hubby and pets and friend can somehow rebuild their lives and I also pray that they get all the help they need. I too had tears in my eyes while reading their amazing story of love and committment to one another and I am sure that is what kept them alive, God bless them all.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Susan,

I am glad that your maid is alive (and that her dogs survived too). What a great story!! I wandered about your daughter and if the dental school continued on with the classes. We received e-mails from the Dean of our school about how New Orleans medical students (from Tulane and SLU) will be placed in other schools. I hope you are doing okay. I am sorry about the loss of your things but I am glad that you and your family are safe.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by okw@Sep 10 2005, 08:50 AM
Susan,

I am glad that your maid is alive (and that her dogs survived too).  What a great story!!  I wandered about your daughter and if the dental school continued on with the classes.  We received e-mails from the Dean of our school about how New Orleans medical students (from Tulane and SLU) will be placed in other schools.  I hope you are doing okay.  I am sorry about the loss of your things but I am glad that you and your family are safe.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98275
[/QUOTE]

Because of power, water, and gas problems in Jackson, the dental school was out for a week. They resumed on Tuesday. It was a well timed outage because it would have been really hard for MK to concentrate. Now, she needs the familiar routine and has been thankful to have the school work to keep her busy. Megan's college has been out for 2 weeks, but they start back on Monday. I think it'll be better for the girls to be occupied with things unrelated to the hurricane. MK has a college friend who is in med school at Tulane and she was being sent somewhere else. I haven't heard where, but she was waiting to find out when MK last spoke with her. What a mess for so many students!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm so glad things are looking well. Please take care of yourself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts