Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In considering getting a playmate for Brinkley...I am tentavely considering possible getting another breed that is SUPPOSEDLY good for allergy sufferers. I have several people who own both Yorkies and Shih-Tzus in my town that I could visit and try out the allergy part like I did with the Maltese before I purchased.

What I am wondering is if anyone has these with their malts, how they get along temperament wise, difference good and bad in temperaments etc. I know most people on here prefer the malts, and I am sure that I probably will too...but just wondering some opinions.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Feb 7 2005, 02:03 PM
Hi there!
I have had two Shih-tzu's and I love them! Muffin was a tiny little thing, and quite the princess... Louie on the other had is a man...
Tini and Louie get a long GREAT! They play, and take naps together... very cute!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34008
[/QUOTE]

How tiny is tiny? How big is Louie?
Brinkley is around 8 pounds...so he is not so fragile. I know Shih-Tzu's get bigger than Maltese.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Feb 7 2005, 02:15 PM
Lexi's bestfriend is a yorkie.  They get along great.  Ellie is a really good dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34011
[/QUOTE]

I have an "ex-friend" who had a mini-yorkie. That dog was SO timid it was pitiful! I don't think I want a mini one...she looks so tiny and fragile...I don't think she was going to get over 3 pounds.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker's aunt is a yorkie they get along great.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Feb 7 2005, 01:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Feb 7 2005, 02:15 PM
Lexi's bestfriend is a yorkie.  They get along great.  Ellie is a really good dog.
I have an "ex-friend" who had a mini-yorkie. That dog was SO timid it was pitiful! I don't think I want a mini one...she looks so tiny and fragile...I don't think she was going to get over 3 pounds.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34013
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ellie is about 6lbs. She is not timid at all. Her and Lexi can get playing pretty rough. They like to pretend they are big dogs that are fighting eat other. Very funny to watch them play!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Feb 7 2005, 02:29 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2005, 01:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Feb 7 2005, 02:15 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34013

[/QUOTE]

Ellie is about 6lbs. She is not timid at all. Her and Lexi can get playing pretty rough. They like to pretend they are big dogs that are fighting eat other. Very funny to watch them play!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34018
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think my older cat needs a reprieve...poor thing. He is the only one without claws...so although Brink chases and plays with the others....Spencer is the one that gets the "rough" play and get "beat up on!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just remember that Yorkies are terriers and have a totally different personality than Maltese. Terriers are super high energy, can be stubborn and are usually yappier than Maltese. Not that they aren't great dogs, but I think people tend to forget that they are in the terrier group, not the toy group and have that "bounce off the walls" personality!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate. Lady may have a litany of health problems, but she has a classic Maltese personality. She's a perfect little companion dog who would love to be carried 24/7 and never makes a peep.

Before I discovered the Maltese breed, I considered getting a Yorkie, but my sister warned me about the terrier personality. She has 2 terriers (Jack Russells) herself, plus manages a vet office so she sees tons of them. She also pet sits for a friend's Yorkie.

I have neighbors with a Shih Tsu and Chanel is just a doll. I think they are more similiar to the Maltese in personality.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Feb 7 2005, 02:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-nataliecmu
@Feb 7 2005, 02:03 PM
Hi there!
I have had two Shih-tzu's and I love them! Muffin was a tiny little thing, and quite the princess... Louie on the other had is a man...
Tini and Louie get a long GREAT! They play, and take naps together... very cute!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34008
How tiny is tiny? How big is Louie?
Brinkley is around 8 pounds...so he is not so fragile. I know Shih-Tzu's get bigger than Maltese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34012
[/B][/QUOTE]

Muffin was only 6 lbs so she was small for a shih-tzu. Louie is about 12 pounds, yet Tini (at 6lbs) is the boss. I want to get another Shih-tzu one day, they have great personalities!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Sorry Marj but I don't agree that shi tzu are similar in character as the maltese. And there are shi tzu and shi tzu. My daughter had a female shi tzu (she had to have her euthanized a week ago, she was almost 12). This was a nice shi tzu, lovely and sweet character but still definately not the Maltese. She was ok with Alex but they did not play together. Mistie loved balls, Alex loves toys. He does not play with balls. By contrast, my daughter's mother in law had 3 shi ztu. She had to give one away because he did not get along with the 2 other ones. My son in law never liked his mother's shi tzu but he liked Mistie. He said Mistie was different. I don't know about the yorkie's. I don't know if this helps. Also the coat of a shi tzu is ticker but like Maltese they don't shed. I had a lhasa apso before Alex. They don't shed either. But he was not as affectionate as the Maltese. And the one I had was plagued with allergies all year around.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We have a yorkie and maltese they get a long great and hate to be seporated.
Just keep in mind yorkies are completly different from maltese.
but they really do get a long great.
I find that yorkies are a lot more head strong but they are very cute and loving.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Are you thinking about getting another dog other than a MALTESE!?!?!

My friend has this baby shihtzu (6 lbs for now) and I LOVE her spunky attitude! Cloud and Noriko are stuck up so they bark and growl at her. Poor baby! She was so scared she was shaking. But then she, all of a sudden, got the courage to bark back! SOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUTE. I wish she said that small forever. But she'll probably be a few lbs bigger than Cloud (11lbs).

I don't think shih-tzu's are hypoallergenic. Don't they shed???

As far as personality--I think it partly depends on just them and how they want to act, and partly on how you raise them. I think saying one breed is more whatever than another breed may just be stereotyping them. But, I could be wrong. Cloud and Noriko are the only dogs I ever had.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
As you can see from my signature, I am a proud owner of a Shih Tzu. I love my Waffle very much. He is extremely affectionate and sweet. He loves to play fetch. He doesn't know a stranger in the world. My Maltese are a little more picky and they are more human like. Waffle is like a super happy kid that will gladly greet a theif at the door. Waffle is very small for a Shih Tzu at around 6 lbs. He is the size of my 4.5 lb Maltese (Cookie).

I would say that they are very different breeds but both are affectionate and sweet. Both breeds are known to have wonderful temparments. One thing to watch for with Shih Tzu are their eyes and flat faces. They are prone to many eye issues and breathing problems if their face is too flat.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 7 2005, 06:52 PM
Are you thinking about getting another dog other than a MALTESE!?!?! 

My friend has this baby shihtzu (6 lbs for now) and I LOVE her spunky attitude!  Cloud and Noriko are stuck up so they bark and growl at her.  Poor baby!  She was so scared she was shaking.  But then she, all of a sudden, got the courage to bark back!  SOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUTE.  I wish she said that small forever.  But she'll probably be a few lbs bigger than Cloud (11lbs). 

I don't think shih-tzu's are hypoallergenic.  Don't they shed???

As far as personality--I think it partly depends on just them and how they want to act, and partly on how you raise them.  I think saying one breed is more whatever than another breed may just be stereotyping them.  But, I could be wrong.  Cloud and Noriko are the only dogs I ever had. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34087
[/QUOTE]

I am just considering other options. My vet's daughter has a yorkie pup that is REALLY cute...and I have always thought Shih-tzu were cute too...
I read that they don't shed, and they are on the list of supposedly hypo-allergenic dogs that I found when searching before I got Brinkley.

Charmypoo...thanks for the information. Waffle is adorable...although you know I would dog-nap all your babies in a half a heart-beat!

Can you puppy trim a Shih-tzu? Or are they usually kept longer? I didn't know that you could puppy cut a maltese until I delved into my research. I know Shi's hair is more coarse and thick than maltese, right? I would like a "smaller" one if I got one...but not necessarily in the dangerously small range. Brink is around 8 pounds...so even up to ten or eleven would be ok really.

Anyway, it is probably something I am going to do WAY down the road...just trying to get some info now.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You could definetly keep a Shih Tzu in a short coat. Several months ago, I broke down and cut Waffle into a puppy cut. He looked like a little puppy. His coat is very fast growing so it is getting pretty long again. He does not shed although Shih Tzu have a double coat. They do smell more "doggie" than the Maltese some times.

With the Shih Tzu breed, if you are interested in smaller, you have to be very careful about finding one that is reputable. They use the term "imperial" and many are claimed to be not so great. If you are looking for a smaller Shih Tzu, I can recommend a few breeders that occasionaly has smaller ones.

As you may have noticed, I am picky about upbrining and pedigrees. I was looking for a small shih tzu with a nice pedigree. That was almost unheard of. I lucked out and got Waffle who is champion sired and has a long line of champions. His father was at the Eukanuba show (didn't win though).

In terms of price, Shih Tzu are a lot cheaper than Maltese. Most top breeders will sell for under $1000 still. That is unheard of in the Maltese breed. With Yorkies, I believe their prices are more compareable to Maltese but maybe a little lower. We have a lot of great Yorkie breeders in Ontario and Shih Tzu as well but not Maltese!

I have never owned a Yorkie but from what I see, they are different. Shih Tzu are probably a little closer in temperment. I woulod stay away from Poms though. I owned a pom and recently fostered a pom. They are really different and as a Maltese person ... I do not recommend the Pom.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
My daughter kept her shi tzu in a short coat and I think they look cute. As CharmyPoo said they have a double coat but they don't shed. And unlike Maltese, they have the "doggie" smell. Her shi tzu was on the bigger side: 12 lbs. She was very healthy until this last year. Oh another thing, they don't bark like Maltese or Yorkies. At least she didn't. Alex teached her to bark. Lol. She was not very well housebroken, but that was not her fault. It was her mommy's fault.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts