Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. My mom had planned on driving Sophie from South Carolina to me in Michigan next month. Well, My grandmother became ill and will be moving in with her. She is not sure when she would be able to make the trip, so she offered to ship Sophie. I'm really not sure about that idea. I dont know anything about how the airline handle puppies. Years ago my bother in-law worked for an airline and said to never ship a pet, he said it was terrible. I dont know if things have changed or what. If anyone has shipped or been shipped a puppy please let me know how it went. I just dont know what to do.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Louise,

I know there are some on here that ship their pets....but I would never in a million years ship Teddy. He and I went on a plane trip together and he needed me to comfort him...the engine and the noise is just in my opinion too much for them. he was able to ride with me in the cabin and that was fine....but in the belly of the plane with no tempature control...no way.

I have heard horror stories also....and I know there are many people on the airport staff that may like little animals and try and help them...and then there are those who do not care.

My advise would be buy a round trip ticket..they are pretty cheep right now and bring your little one home with you on the plane.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I am against shipping. I have seen/heard too many bad things. I just couldn't do it.

I book almost all of my flights through either Hotwire.com and Site59.com they have great deals on last minute flights. The closer to the day you want to travel, the cheaper they are.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Could you maybe look around and see if you can get a cheap ticket for you to fly down and back with Sophie? Is there a big airport near you and one near your mom? That would be cheaper then going to and from small airports.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Where in South Carolina is Sophie coming from? Columbia has a big airport with many direct flights to major cities.

I'd opt for picking her up, too, so you can carry her in the cabin. It will be much, much safer, especially for a puppy.

Besides, most reputable breeders will not ship their puppies so your breeder may not even allow it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I am looking into all options. I have looked into flights for me to go down and get her. I just might enjoy getting away for a day or two
. I have a lot of family down there. Just not sure if hubby and the kids could make it without me.
I'm sure it will all work out.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've taken Peanut on a couple of plane trips with me in cabin and all the commotion really gets to him. I would hate to see him if he were all alone in cargo. I'm glad you're looking to take a mini vacation to go get her. Good luck, I can't wait to hear more about her!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many People do ship and have received very good babies through shipping.
I am a breeder who does refuse to ship at any price. I have been yelled at and talked badly to due to that at sometimes, but I will not put one of my babies on a plane alone. I suggest that a owner come to me. I like to meet them and it is a good idea to see where the baby is raised.
You can change your mind if you go and see and meet also.
I have never had anyone that came to see me say anything execpt, thanks in the end.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Originally posted by clmaltese@Oct 8 2005, 10:09 PM
Many People do ship and have received very good babies through shipping.
I am a breeder who does refuse to ship at any price.  I have been yelled  at and talked badly to due to that at sometimes, but I will not put one of my babies on a plane alone.  I suggest that a owner come to me.  I like to meet them and it is a good idea to see where the baby is raised. 
You can change your mind if you go and see and meet also. 
  I have never had anyone that came to see me say anything execpt, thanks in the end.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=107826
[/QUOTE]

I completely aggree. My neighbor had one shipped to her a couple of months ago. That poor little thing was so shaken it broke my heart. My Henry was shipped to LAX from Hawaii. This was a last resort for us. It was either ship him to the states within a matter of days, or he would have been dropped off to live his life in someones backyard. Henry was also pretty shaken up, and he's a 12-pound, 3-year-old.

As Susan said, I look at my own little ones, and would not think of shipping them.
Also, Ladysmom made a good point. Your breeder may not allow it.

Maybe you could meet someone halfway? Good luck to you and the little one

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Sometimes I think the thought of shipping is worse than actually shipping... if that makes sense! Catcher was shipped to me and it was an hour flight in early morning. He bounced out of his crate with no problems at all. I think a couple things made it work. One was that he was used to his crate and felt secure in it. The compartment he was in was pressurized and only one animal was allowed in it, so he didn't have to deal with being afraid of another animal. He was not tiny at 11 weeks, at 2.8 pounds.

The ideal situation is to pick up a puppy in person but sometimes that just is impossible and sometimes shipping should be considered as a viable option.

However, that being said, I still would not feel comfortable for a puppy to have to change planes.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If you can drive or fly down, it is always better but shipping isn't so bad too. Waffle was shipped to me from Texas to Buffalo. I wanted a direct flight so we both drove a bit. I used Continental which is known to be one of the best for shipping. I was waiting at the counter and I saw a woman bring Waffle there and everything was very safe.

The two puppies were shipped to me via Delta Airlines. They didn't have Continental flying out of the breeder's area. I was really nervous having the puppies shipped since they were small and young. When I went up to the counter, I asked for my puppies and they said what puppies .. we don't have any puppies. I totally freaked out but he went back and found out there was puppies there. I went to the other area where they held the pups and they were very happy wagging their tails. The guy in charge of the other area had the pups right beside him and he totally adored them and started telling me about his dogs.

They arrived safe and sound both times

1 - 12 of 12 Posts