Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love dressing my little Ralphie in clothing and he loves it as well. I received an order today and I am a little upset and would like to get some feedback from everyone regarding this matter.

I purchased a shirt for Ralphie, from a well known dog boutique, and was charged $5 for shipping. Today, when I received the package, the actual mailing cost was $1. I am upset, I feel that the company made extra money off of me. Am I over-reacting? Is this common practice for companies to overcharge for shipping? I guess I have never really paid attention to costs when shipping before.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jul 13 2005, 02:38 PM
Shipping & Handling is common practice. Sometimes shipping is free but they will still charge you handling charges.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80992
[/QUOTE]
I'm okay with paying the actual shipping price, however, no mention was made of a handling fee. I think the price should be included in the actual cost of the item, this way I wouldn't feel like I was taken advantage of.

Does anyone else feel like this?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I guess that they factor in the cost of shipping supplies and the hourly rate of the person who does all of the packaging and shipping and add that to the the actual shipping price. I've been buying some stuff off of Ebay for my daughter's new condo and the shipping prices vary widely for the same item. I think that this is something that we have to live with if we are going to mail order. Not saying its fair, but it sure seems to be here to stay.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm not sure about this, but I think many online companies charge the same amount for many weights, in order to simplify the ordering process. This way they don't have to change the amount everytime someone orders, but I really don't know. If that's what they do, I guess its bad when we just order one bow, or one shirt, but could benefit us later if we make a large order. I wish I knew

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i've come to accept this as normal practice but anytime I sell online I try to always state "shipping and handling" because it takes time to package and ship

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
There is a lot more involved in getting your package to you than the $1 postage such as:

Boxes, tissue paper, bubble wrap, tape, etc.
Employees who pull the items for the packers.
Employees who package the order and process it for pick up.

Companies who don't charge shipping have to make up that $ somewhere. Some add a couple bucks to each item in their assortment. With all that money going out to pay for the items mentioned above, a company can soon be out of business if they don't bury the amount in the price of the product or charge for shipping and handling.

Companies are no longer legally allowed to use S&H as a profit center. The fees charged have to be legitimate costs associated with getting the product to the customer.

Shipping charges are usually based on the dollar amount of your order since that is the easiest way for the company and customer. Therefore, sometimes an expensive but lightweight item can be shipped and the company will maybe come out a little ahead. Then a heavy inexpensive item is shipped and the company loses money on it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I charge around $3 to send something that I only put $1.50 worth of stamps on. The reason is the materials I use to mail the item, envelope and the sealed plastic bag,cost money. If I sell a bow for $3 I can't lose money on the materials to ship it, or I won't have made any money in the end.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
S&H charges vary widely between retailers. I can say that you always have the option of not purchasing an item because of excessive S&H charges. This is definitely a personal thing though...how much are you willing to spend beyond the item's price? That's the question you have to ask yourself. For me, the convienence of online shopping most often exceeds the cost of shipping and handling.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Joe@Jul 13 2005, 03:32 PM
i've come to accept this as normal practice but anytime I sell online I try to always state "shipping and handling" because it takes time to package and ship
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81003
[/QUOTE]
...and I certainly don't have a problem paying for someone's time of wrapping!

Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 13 2005, 03:42 PM
There is a lot more involved in getting your package to you than the $1 postage such as:

Boxes, tissue paper, bubble wrap, tape, etc.
Employees who pull the items for the packers.
Employees who package the order and process it for pick up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81006
[/QUOTE]
I wish you could have seen the package it came in, there was no tissue paper or anything, it was just stuffed into a mailer and dropped in the mail.

Originally posted by saltymalty@Jul 13 2005, 04:18 PM
S&H charges vary widely between retailers.  I can say that you always have the option of not purchasing an item because of excessive S&H charges.  This is definitely a personal thing though...how much are you willing to spend beyond the item's price?  That's the question you have to ask yourself.  For me, the convienence of online shopping most often exceeds the cost of shipping and handling.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81015
[/QUOTE]
I agree, I always think if it is worth it to shop online or go to the store and usually for me it is a 50/50 decision.

Originally posted by Msloke@Jul 13 2005, 04:31 PM
What I usually do is add the shipping/handling cost to price of the item as if that was the price of the item then decide if I'm willing to pay that or look elsewhere.  Sometimes an item is unique enough or I want it badly enough (more likely scenario 
), that the total cost doesn't deter me from buying.  Other times I find I can buy it for less locally than item cost + shipping.  Lot of words to not say much, huh. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81019
[/QUOTE]
I do the same thing!
Usually I end up buying the item because I will regret it later.

I guess in this instance I am most upset because of the condition the package came in could not have cost $5 to mail. I know it is only $5, but it is the principle, certainly not the money.

I have never even bothered to look on other packages to see if shipping charges came out to be what I was charged, but in this instance, the mailer (which can be bought in bulk at a store like Costco) could not have cost that much to deem it necessary to charge. Everything was just shoved in the mailer and that is what upsets me. It is $5 and I will certainly get over it, I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion on this was. Thanks! And I will probably end up ordering from them again, because the clothing is unique and comes from overseas. (I guess maybe that is where part of the "shipping" cost incurred--I always thought that should be a hidden cost in the price of the product though).

In any event, I am glad I got my product and Ralphie looks adorable in it!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I thought I would throw in a bit of our past experiences regarding this.

I think in some cases, companies are billing for "handling" but in many other cases it is just a limitation of their shipping calculations methods.

Alot of companies will charge shipping by the dollar amount. (we do it) it is highly inaccurate though, but easier than entering in weights for over 6800 items and setting up the real time calculations to figure out the different options, as well as setting up real time inventory levels to list which shipping methods are available based on current stock. (although we are almost there)

When companies charge by the dollar amount, there are many cases where customers get overcharged, most lightweight items (bows, t-shirts, necklaces, treats) and many cases where companies lose out alot on shipping, like shipping inexpensive, but heavy shampoos (I.E. petsilk, bowls, picture frames) our company at the very least is certainly trying to improve our methods.

I know for us, if you just ask, we will always adjust shipping charges accordingly after, or before. This is especially the case with international shipping, alot of stores (like us) are not given many options when setting up there shipping charges.

Shipping to Canada can be done for a few dollars, but shipping to Italy has to be done by Express, which is going to be $28+ usually. we are only given one option for international, (international) which means, canada is being charged the same as Italy, it's very frustrating for us. I can only speak for us, but we are working on it.

I would say above all else though, if you ever feel you are being cheated by a store, you should definately call or write the company and ask them about it, if they are a good company, and you are an honest customer, they should absolutely take care of you, they will most likely appreciate the call and the satisfaction of knowing they have a happy customer at the end of the day who is going to tell their friends about them.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I just know that all the shipping supplies (boxes, tissue paper, etc.) need to be paid for as well as the actual shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would say too that it all depends on the method of shipping. Anything that is sent through the mail is often cheaper than something that requires the use of surface courier. Nowadays the cost of fuel is also considered and added to the cost of sending parcels along with the cost of packaging etc. and staff costs for the process.
I have sent numerous large boxes of items to my kids back in Australia and the cost is awful, like it costs over double the cost of the contents, but at least it gets there in a short time. I recently sent a small package to Australia via express post and I have to say that method was much much cheaper and it got there in very quick time, so I am now considering sending items to my family with the very same method, even if I divide the items sent in a group of parcels it will still work out much cheaper than sending one big box.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I agree that shipping is soo much money so some things... mostly for overseas... i bought 18 items from over seas and had it air mailed to me and the shipping was more than the actual value of the items i was shipping!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.