Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been some posts recently about shipping a puppy long distances. The best way to transport a fluff any distance is in the cabin with you in an approved crate or carrier. You can make certain it's not too hot or cold and monitor how the fluff is doing, but even then, it's a stressful experience.

Shipping the fluff in the cargo hold can be extremely risky. While the airlines are quick to point out that while thousands of dogs are shipped in cargo each year, "only" a handful of deaths and injuries are reported, that's too many, especially if one of those babies is yours.

Anyone who is considering shipping a puppy should understand that unless a human (either ticket-paying or off-duty airline employee traveling free) accompanies the dog, the fluff will go in cargo as baggage. The airlines have regulations that are intended to lessen the risk, but it is not a 100% safe journey, as the links below describe.

Is Taking Your Pet on an Airplane Worth the Risk? | Off the Road

Second dog death prompts concerns about safety of pets on planes - NBC News.com

Fewer pet deaths on planes but more injuries in 2012 | The Jet Set Pets

Travel Safely with Your Pet by Car, Airplane, Ship, or Train : The Humane Society of the United States

·
Premium Member
24,010 Posts
Thanks, Maggie. I would never ship a dog,especially a small one, in cargo. To me it's like saying put my child in cargo. That ain't gonna happen!!! I've heard too many nightmares of parents who lost their dogs to it, either too hot or too cold. I must way even when Tyler went in the cabin with me, the floors are really cold so I put a snuggly blanket in for take off and landing when his carrier wasn't on my lap or the snack table:)

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
I have lived abroad since 1974 and I have traveled the world w/my pups---even Africa---but I have NEVER had a pup in cargo---never. I guess I just know too many true stories.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, I think it's great that you are all trying to pass on information you have read, and I know that this is referred to those of us who are having our puppies shipped from Shinemore in Korea.

Truth is that Narae Lee is a very reputable breeder for a reason. She has never lost a puppy and she wouldn't risk her good reputation. Korean Airlines has a cargo hold special for live animals. It is well lit, air conditioned, and heated. She uses a special service called "First Class Pets" to ship the dogs for the past 15 years. Also, the puppies fly during their night time and they sleep through it all. Dogs have to travel world wide to able to compete in dog shows, and most of them have to go in the cargo anyways. Just thought I'd point that out... :)

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Great post. Completely Agree. I think, that a good bit of Reputable breeders, do have a "nanny" service. If you are unable to go to the breeder and vice versa.

I can't tell, but if this isn't a "sticky post", it sure should be, will I am sure help many.

Oh, just wanted to add, I don't get on here often, and my thoughts that I shared are general, as it relates to this topic.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Great post. Completely Agree. I think, that a good bit of Reputable breeders, do have a "nanny" service. If you are unable to go to the breeder and vice versa.

I can't tell, but if this isn't a "sticky post", it sure should be, will I am sure help many.

Oh, just wanted to add, I don't get on here often, and my thoughts that I shared are general, as it relates to this topic.

Glad to see your posting again. I love all the pics you have shared of your fluffs in the past. Hope you are here to stay!

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
I did communicate w/your Korean breeder before discovering that there was an export in Europe from this line who had been bred & I could get one of those puppies w/out shipping. I found the breeder in Korea to be easy to work with, but the distance was prohibitive for ME. When Kitzel developed issues w/walking I tried to find out if other puppies from this line had issues & suddenly the breeder's English was not good enough to communicate w/me. I speak from first-hand personal experience.

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts
I wanted to add that small dogs who compete in dogs shows can fly in the cabin--not cargo. Large dog breeds fly cargo---it is "safer" for large dogs, but things still happen.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
As I understand it, the problems occur if the plane is on the ground for too long due to delays and it gets too hot (I read that most cargo areas are heated, but not air conditioned). But puppies are shipped all the time domestically and internationally with great success. However, I have no doubt it is quite a stressful experience for them! I've never had a dog shipped but I assume most of them come out of it unscathed.

Marisol, I think you said there will be a layover at some point in your puppy's trip so someone will attend to her? I think that is going to be the longest day of your life!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
As I understand it, the problems occur if the plane is on the ground for too long due to delays and it gets too hot (I read that most cargo areas are heated, but not air conditioned). But puppies are shipped all the time domestically and internationally with great success. However, I have no doubt it is quite a stressful experience for them! I've never had a dog shipped but I assume most of them come out of it unscathed.

Marisol, I think you said there will be a layover at some point in your puppy's trip so someone will attend to her? I think that is going to be the longest day of your life!
Yes, Celeta. There will a stop at an airport with pet hotel and a vet who tends to the animals that come in, so she can eat, and relieve herself. It does worry me a bit that she will be flying all by herself... but like you said it's done all the time with success. She will be placed in a special area for pets that is actually air-conditioned, so the heat doesn't worry me like it would on a regular plane. Her stressing is what worries me the most, I just hope she sleeps through most of it!

Well, I am trying to remain positive and I have my faith in God. I leave this in His hands, and I know He will watch over Kimmy... :)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Ireland has the rule that no dog(except assistance dogs, I believe) can fly into the country in the cabin :(
I really think it is an awful rule and means Milo can go no where with me :(

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Climate controls are not as well regulated as we are led to believe.

A puppy will not sleep for 15+ hours.

Toy breed show dogs are most often flown in cabin with the handler or breeder. If they are flown in cargo, they are adults or old enough to not worry about hypoglycemia. 15+ hours is too long for a toy breed puppy to go without food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ireland has the rule that no dog(except assistance dogs, I believe) can fly into the country in the cabin :(
I really think it is an awful rule and means Milo can go no where with me :(
Many countries here in Latin America have that same rule. So, yes, many small show dogs have been forced to fly in the cargo...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Climate controls are not as well regulated as we are led to believe.

A puppy will not sleep for 15+ hours.

Toy breed show dogs are most often flown in cabin with the handler or breeder. If they are flown in cargo, they are adults or old enough to not worry about hypoglycemia. 15+ hours is too long for a toy breed puppy to go without food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
She won't go 15+ hours without food... I already mentioned she is making a stop where a vet will feed her.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts