Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was not referring to Korean Air. I was talking about the facts of specific airlines in the US ... the names of the airlines, with injuries and deaths that have occurred on an annual basis ... the names of the airlines and details for each airline are listed in one of the links Maggie provided in her initial post.

I totally agree with you that not all airlines are the same. In fact ... and I hate to say this ... but, I think there are foreign airlines that are putting most of our US airlines to shame right now.

Please know that in no way am I judging you, nor anyone else ... I only wish you the best. :tender:

And, just in case you don't know it ... I love Lynn. (she knows that) And, although I haven't met Stacy in person yet, I know she is a wonderful breeder of Maltese.

For myself though, Snowball will never travel in cargo. I understand why Sue, Sandi, and others won't allow their fluffs in cargo either. We can all have a difference of opinions ... and, that is okay. Again, no judgments.
Thank you for this! I completely understand and I don't have a problem with the discussion of this topic. :) Its the rude comments that I didn't like...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
No matter how anyone of us may feel, I think we will all be hoping that your puppy arrives safe and secure. I think that being in Panama limits your choices more than if you lived in, say Texas. I also understand that Korean Air has a very good reputation with shipping puppies. I, for one, am looking forward to hearing your happy report when your lovely puppy arrives. :wub:
Thank you Sylvia! It's nice to feel yours and other member's love and support. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Marisol, please understand that no one here wishes you anything but the very, very best. This, I thought, was a discussion about shipping dogs---and you happened to be in the road & got hit by the truck. I spoke only from my own personal experience (which isn't small) and others have spoken from theirs---you included. As Sue said this is a forum where we can voice pro & con---that is how all subjects here are handled. Whoever the other person is, I would say the very same to them.

We will all celebrate your new baby! I, for one, will be praying for her trip too---as I am sure so many of us will. Please don't feel a personal attack against you.
Thank you Sandi! I didn't feel attacked by you at all :) I know you're intentions are kind and you weren't referrering your experiences as a personal attack against me, lol.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Marisol didn't start this thread. Maggie started it specifically to discuss shipping dogs in cargo. So from what I can tell, this thread has discussed exactly as the thread is titled, "Shipping your fluff?" :thumbsup:
You were specifically discussing how ethical these Korean breeders are, if anyone has visited them, they are high quantity etc. I don't know how that's exactly about "Shipping your fluff?"

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Oh Marisol, I am so sorry. I truly am. I've been a member, I think for 4 or 5 years, not sure. But I haven't been on much. I just saw the topic, thought it was a great one, so I decided to share my thoughts.

Also Marisol, I promise you, please please, don't have your feelings hurt, or feel you are being judged, or breeders are, no. It may feel that way to you, but I promise you, from the heart, when you have your darling baby in your arms, every member, will be jumping for joy, and on the edge of their seats to see pictures.

There are topics, that hit all our hearts. I guess they call them "hot" topics.

Perhaps, I had no right in posting, since I have been away, but I promise you, no one is judging anyone.

I still feel the same, but it's the topic, it's not you, any breeder. I hope that makes sense.

It's almost like when are babies are spayed and neutered, I know myself, my heart is in my mouth, we all can't help but be nervous, we don't breath, till we get the call, that our babies are all done and doing fine. Even though, there have been success after success, we can't help, but be nervous. Oh, maybe it's not the same thing, but maybe how some of us feel inside about different topics, maybe even stronger, but honestly, I have read all the post, and it comes from everyone's heart, those that are okay with it, and those, that are not. So, read them again maybe, oh not to change your mind, not at all, but it may help you to see, that no, no one is judging anyone.

I apologize, as I have been away from SM, but not long enough to know, that it's the topic, that people feel strongly about one way or another and from the heart.

There are several topics that come up, and people feel strongly, out of love, one way or another.

I too love Lynn dearly, and she probably knew how I felt, even before I posted. (Love you Lynn).

So Marisol, please take it with the mindset, that it's the topic, that people feel strong about, again, one way or another.

I think the bottom line and the common denominator is always, love of the furbabies.

No, sweetheart, as I posted earlier, I could not do it, and don't think I could live through it. Truly. I don't have any links to post, never experienced it, but for me, on this topic, there is no way in the world I could. Even if it were a 15 minute flight.

When my baby Ana was spayed, the tech had to walk me to the door, as the tears were just flowing down my face.

I don't think that makes me an over reactive Mommy.

I'm not sure I am helping at all. The one thing I did want to get across to you, is please, don't think you are being judged, or anyone else is.

Now, I can guarantee you this, when it's time, for your baby to be spayed, every member, who has posted on this topic, will be there for you, and post prayers, and well wishes for you, and will be there for you the entire day, even after.

I hope this helps to understand where the members are coming from.
Thank you for your kind and comforting words. :heart: :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Marisol, I'm sorry for the way this thread has gone down.

Sounds like you've weighed all your options and done all your research. We all know you're a great fluff mom.

Hoping the flight is easy on your little one and she sleeps through most of it.
Oh Aastha, thank you so much. :wub: I will keep you posted on everything!

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
I'm the one who said it was cruel and inhuman, imo, to ship a puppy who is approx. 2 lbs give or take, 15 plus hours in another thread. Especially when there are so many other options that would require a shorter flight. (And I'm speaking for pet purposes here. I understand there are times when a show breeder needs to expand their gene pool and may need to get a dog from another country.) And I still feel that way. I don't see how my feeling this or stating this is personally attacking someone. And I do apologize if it was taken as a personal attack. I treat my fluffs as I would skin children, had God blessed me with skin-children. And I would never ship a 8-12 month old human baby in cargo. And that's how I feel about shipping a tiny puppy who does run a higher risk then larger puppies for going hypoglycemic and has no protective undercoat to protect them from hot or cold temperatures if the environmental controls are not regulated properly.

That being said, the only reason I'm even taking the time to post is because I do care and I don't want to see that puppy be traumatized and have behavioral issues or worse. I don't want someone to arrive at the airport to pick up their baby to be met with devastating news. And I will be praying for that baby in hopes they arrive safely without issue. And I will also be there to help support any future questions or concerns, as well as celebrate any milestone or achievement once that baby is part of the SM family.

Lynn I understand what you are saying. But times have changed. And sadly, so have people. People as a general rule are less responsible, less caring and less dependable in their jobs then they were 10 years ago. And even less then 15 and 20 years ago. It just keeps getting worse. Look at bullying. We've had bullies forever. But not to the extremes we see today. And sadly, there are certain people who like to bully and traumatize tiny, helpless creatures. When I have friends who work in the airline industry that aren't even real animal lovers say they would never ship a dog in cargo, then I feel it's pretty important to listen. Maybe I should drop a line to 20/20 or one of those news shows who likes to go in with hidden cameras and ask them to film what it's actually like to fly in cargo as well as what it's like for the animal during layovers and getting off and onto the plane. We may all be very surprised at what we see. Myself included. It may be better then what I've been told.

Just wanted to add, that with family and good friends there are times when you can not support a decision you feel is a bad decision. You can't support it because you do care. But it doesn't mean you don't or won't support and love and care for that friend or even the results of that decision. Friends and family are always there.
Crystal, we simply don't have an emoticon to express how I feel about your post ... it is much better than just a good post.

You have expressed so much of what has been on my mind. In general, airlines and their employees are not like they were years ago. (and, that goes for many other busineses, too). I used to love flying. But, I hate it now. The last several times I had to fly it was with First Class tickets ... (which I guess now are Business Class tickets) ... but, even First Class is not first class anymore. And, something is wrong when passengers pay ahead of time to reserve seats ... and, then when arriving at the gate, are told the airline is overbooked. The passenger is then informed that they must wait for another flight! Just another example of how unethical a business can be today.

I like your idea of dropping 20/20 a line. I would love to see them go in with hidden cameras and do an investigation regarding cargo on planes. And, I too, listen to my friend who has worked for a major airline, for years, and shared that one should never have their beloved fluffs placed in cargo ... because a lot of horrible things are happening with so many innocent fluffs.

I also agree with you that bullying has gotten worse, too. I just made a comment on FB ... after beng instructed to copy and paste and NOT share ... (if one cared about praying and caring for their friends). I posted that I cannot copy and paste on my i-Pad ... and, asked what is wrong with sharing. I also commented that I felt it was like bullying ... to tell me that I cannot share, but, must copy and paste if I care and love my friends! Geez.

Crystal, I personally think your post is thoughtful, caring, and honest. Good for you, girlfriend.

·
Premium Member
17,397 Posts
Crystal, we, esp. those of us who have been here awhile, know you, your heart & your concerns. . . they are thoroughly legit. It is fair to ask the "what" questions you addressed.
I am not a vegetarian because I can't look at the info out there (both daughters are w. one being vegan). I think if I looked closely I would not eat meat (which would greatly complicate life at my house!). I prefer, at least for today, to keep myself protected, but I may not be doing the best thing---I really don't know since I haven't looked. I am not saying others have not looked into everything as thoroughly as possible, just speaking of myself.
Again, you bring up some very valid points---each person will choose differently, but it is good to see things from your side as well. Thank you for taking time to share your heart.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
You were specifically discussing how ethical these Korean breeders are, if anyone has visited them, they are high quantity etc. I don't know how that's exactly about "Shipping your fluff?"
I was asking questions and voicing my concerns, yes. If you look at any of my past posts on these particular Korean breeders, you will see my concerns have not changed. Nor has anyone been able to answer or address my concerns. But I do agree that was not on topic and do apologize for it. My comment was because I thought you were thinking Marisol started the thread and it had completely gone off course from what her initial subject had been. And it really hasn't. Most long threads do get a bit off course and then brought back around to topic again. As did this one.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I'm the one who said it was cruel and inhuman, imo, to ship a puppy who is approx. 2 lbs give or take, 15 plus hours in another thread. Especially when there are so many other options that would require a shorter flight. (And I'm speaking for pet purposes here. I understand there are times when a show breeder needs to expand their gene pool and may need to get a dog from another country.) And I still feel that way. I don't see how my feeling this or stating this is personally attacking someone. And I do apologize if it was taken as a personal attack. I treat my fluffs as I would skin children, had God blessed me with skin-children. And I would never ship a 8-12 month old human baby in cargo. And that's how I feel about shipping a tiny puppy who does run a higher risk then larger puppies for going hypoglycemic and has no protective undercoat to protect them from hot or cold temperatures if the environmental controls are not regulated properly.

That being said, the only reason I'm even taking the time to post is because I do care and I don't want to see that puppy be traumatized and have behavioral issues or worse. I don't want someone to arrive at the airport to pick up their baby to be met with devastating news. And I will be praying for that baby in hopes they arrive safely without issue. And I will also be there to help support any future questions or concerns, as well as celebrate any milestone or achievement once that baby is part of the SM family.

Lynn I understand what you are saying. But times have changed. And sadly, so have people. People as a general rule are less responsible, less caring and less dependable in their jobs then they were 10 years ago. And even less then 15 and 20 years ago. It just keeps getting worse. Look at bullying. We've had bullies forever. But not to the extremes we see today. And sadly, there are certain people who like to bully and traumatize tiny, helpless creatures. When I have friends who work in the airline industry that aren't even real animal lovers say they would never ship a dog in cargo, then I feel it's pretty important to listen. Maybe I should drop a line to 20/20 or one of those news shows who likes to go in with hidden cameras and ask them to film what it's actually like to fly in cargo as well as what it's like for the animal during layovers and getting off and onto the plane. We may all be very surprised at what we see. Myself included. It may be better then what I've been told.

Just wanted to add, that with family and good friends there are times when you can not support a decision you feel is a bad decision. You can't support it because you do care. But it doesn't mean you don't or won't support and love and care for that friend or even the results of that decision. Friends and family are always there.
I respect you very much Crystal. But I think this may be worded a bit too strongly. I see where you are coming from that your dogs are like your children. Many peopel feel that way. But truth be told, our precious babies (even though we call them babies) are not humans. They are dogs, and have completely different needs and abilities then human babies and cannot really be compared.

I also disagree with your statement that people are less responsible today than 10 years ago. I completely disagree with this statement. Lazy mean people have always exsisted. We may be more aware of some of them due to the easy access to information. But I actually believe the opposite to be true. I think that for some jobs we are doing better than ever. I think when given the opportunity, people step up and want to do a good job. And I don't know what bullying has to do with this situation at all.

And as to this situation of shipping in cargo, I don't think anyone would chose it as a #1 choice, but it is done all the time. How do you think dogs with multi-national championships are made? They travel. And they travel a lot. I think as others have metioned here, much of how well they tolerate travel has to do with the personality of the dog.

It sounds to me like this particular breeder takes extra measure to minimize the risk to her puppies. To generalize and call her (and other forign breeders) reputation to question is not needed. Heck, we have high volume breeders right here in the US that are lauded here on SM and no one bats an eye.

I can see why Marisol feels a bit like she is being ganged up on here. It isn't quite an accident that we have two members getting dogs from Korea. I think Maggie started this is an educational thread after this discussion popped up on another thread. And I whole heartedly agree that we should all be able to debate and participte in the discussion. But some of these comments are going too far maybe?

Let's all pull back as I think we have presented all sides here. These puppies are coming and that is a done deal. Let's see how it goes, and be happy and hopeful for our members and their new puppies for now.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I respect you very much Crystal. But I think this may be worded a bit too strongly. I see where you are coming from that your dogs are like your children. Many peopel feel that way. But truth be told, our precious babies (even though we call them babies) are not humans. They are dogs, and have completely different needs and abilities then human babies and cannot really be compared.

I also disagree with your statement that people are less responsible today than 10 years ago. I completely disagree with this statement. Lazy mean people have always exsisted. We may be more aware of some of them due to the easy access to information. But I actually believe the opposite to be true. I think that for some jobs we are doing better than ever. I think when given the opportunity, people step up and want to do a good job. And I don't know what bullying has to do with this situation at all.

And as to this situation of shipping in cargo, I don't think anyone would chose it as a #1 choice, but it is done all the time. How do you think dogs with multi-national championships are made? They travel. And they travel a lot. I think as others have metioned here, much of how well they tolerate travel has to do with the personality of the dog.

It sounds to me like this particular breeder takes extra measure to minimize the risk to her puppies. To generalize and call her (and other forign breeders) reputation to question is not needed. Heck, we have high volume breeders right here in the US that are lauded here on SM and no one bats an eye.

I can see why Marisol feels a bit like she is being ganged up on here. It isn't quite an accident that we have two members getting dogs from Korea. I think Maggie started this is an educational thread after this discussion popped up on another thread. And I whole heartedly agree that we should all be able to debate and participte in the discussion. But some of these comments are going too far maybe?

Let's all pull back as I think we have presented all sides here. These puppies are coming and that is a done deal. Let's see how it goes, and be happy and hopeful for our members and their new puppies for now.
:amen:
:goodpost: :aktion033:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes on my puppy that is being shipped from Korea! For those of you who have said some really harsh things, well you are entitled to your opinion but for calling me cruel these is no excuse for this. You don't know me or the beautiful family of 3 kids that I am raising. I have a son that just accepted into Harvard another son that is a star athlete in his school and a beautiful 5 year old daughter. If I felt this puppy was in danger I wouldn't do it. But I feel very comfortable with my breeder and the health of my puppy. With that being said lets just pray for her safe arrival and as soon as she gets here I will post pics!

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Well said, Pam.

Yes, this was started as educational and by no means is an indictment of anyone. I think we all wish our members and their new puppies well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
On the shipping issue....before I began my Nursing career, I worked for 23 years at Northwest Air. I began as a flight attendant eventually ending my life at NWA as the Priority Pet/animal coordinator. I developed and managed the program in 3 hubs from MSP until Delta took over and eliminated myself and the Priority Pet Program.

I could add all sorts of horror stories here but I will spare you all the details. Aside from mis-handling problems many issues can arise that many do not consider. Delays are always going to be an issue no matter who or how your animals are checked/shipped. Whether it is mechanical, traffic congestion, or weather delays.....there are so many things out of ones control. Aircraft are changed that may not be able to accommodate live animals and pups are loaded anyway, ramp delays with no fresh/cool/warm air on 110 degrees or subzero tarmacs. Animals left/lost in tail carts when gates change during snowstroms. The utter disaster of 9/11.....I was trying to find the 300 or so animals (most pets) in the system of all the grounded/diverted flights. It was a double nightmare. We lost some precious pets that day. Also consider trauma is a huge issue. Everyone on the ramp has ear protection but your pets/animals do not. The noise is deafening. The exhaust from the aircraft alone is nauseating not to mention all the other vehicles. Also know that the mills all ship cargo. Many very ill puppies may be in the hold with your dog. Many pups were personally delivered by me to the vet for euthanasia due to parvo. I hated Tuesdays and Thursdays! The list just goes on and on.

While I was in this position, we worked diligently to personally meet and transfer each and every live animal ourselves through the hubs, in a heated/air conditioned van, set up for animals, but there is no such program at any airline that I know of. Even then we were there we had no control over what happened at downline stations.

My point is: Do Not Ever!!! check your pet or reconsider buying from a breeder who will ship your new baby to you as checked into a cargo hold on an airline. If you cannot make the trip by driving or carrying on your new pup, use a courier service that many offer.

Many of you know me to pretty laid back and non-confrontational.....but on this issue due to what I have personally witnessed, I stand by my strong stance. I know many ship for breeding purposes. If I have offended any breeder who ships cargo or as checked baggage you may PM me and I will offer evidence of what happens to your babies while in the baggage/cargo system. I think if you really knew what the animals go through you would want to protect your investment of your champion dog and consider some other shipping option.

So please carry-on your pup or drive!

Thank you for listening.....

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
On the shipping issue....before I began my Nursing career, I worked for 23 years at Northwest Air. I began as a flight attendant eventually ending my life at NWA as the Priority Pet/animal coordinator. I developed and managed the program in 3 hubs from MSP until Delta took over and eliminated myself and the Priority Pet Program.

I could add all sorts of horror stories here but I will spare you all the details. Aside from mis-handling problems many issues can arise that many do not consider. Delays are always going to be an issue no matter who or how your animals are checked/shipped. Whether it is mechanical, traffic congestion, or weather delays.....there are so many things out of ones control. Aircraft are changed that may not be able to accommodate live animals and pups are loaded anyway, ramp delays with no fresh/cool/warm air on 110 degrees or subzero tarmacs. Animals left/lost in tail carts when gates change during snowstroms. The utter disaster of 9/11.....I was trying to find the 300 or so animals (most pets) in the system of all the grounded/diverted flights. It was a double nightmare. We lost some precious pets that day. Also consider trauma is a huge issue. Everyone on the ramp has ear protection but your pets/animals do not. The noise is deafening. The exhaust from the aircraft alone is nauseating not to mention all the other vehicles. Also know that the mills all ship cargo. Many very ill puppies may be in the hold with your dog. Many pups were personally delivered by me to the vet for euthanasia due to parvo. I hated Tuesdays and Thursdays! The list just goes on and on.

While I was in this position, we worked diligently to personally meet and transfer each and every live animal ourselves through the hubs, in a heated/air conditioned van, set up for animals, but there is no such program at any airline that I know of. Even then we were there we had no control over what happened at downline stations.

My point is: Do Not Ever!!! check your pet or reconsider buying from a breeder who will ship your new baby to you as checked into a cargo hold on an airline. If you cannot make the trip by driving or carrying on your new pup, use a courier service that many offer.

Many of you know me to pretty laid back and non-confrontational.....but on this issue due to what I have personally witnessed, I stand by my strong stance. I know many ship for breeding purposes. If I have offended any breeder who ships cargo or as checked baggage you may PM me and I will offer evidence of what happens to your babies while in the baggage/cargo system. I think if you really knew what the animals go through you would want to protect your investment of your champion dog and consider some other shipping option.

Thank you Leanne. I know you don't like getting involved in these types of threads that can get confrontational. I appreciate your willingness to do this.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts

Thank you, Leanne, for sharing your first hand experience with what, sadly ...
really happens to precious and innocent fluffs when they are shipped cargo.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Thank you for your post. It contains very valuable information that can help many animals. Hopefully, many people will read it and hear what you say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There have been some posts recently about shipping a puppy long distances. The best way to transport a fluff any distance is in the cabin with you in an approved crate or carrier. You can make certain it's not too hot or cold and monitor how the fluff is doing, but even then, it's a stressful experience.

Shipping the fluff in the cargo hold can be extremely risky. While the airlines are quick to point out that while thousands of dogs are shipped in cargo each year, "only" a handful of deaths and injuries are reported, that's too many, especially if one of those babies is yours.

Anyone who is considering shipping a puppy should understand that unless a human (either ticket-paying or off-duty airline employee traveling free) accompanies the dog, the fluff will go in cargo as baggage. The airlines have regulations that are intended to lessen the risk, but it is not a 100% safe journey, as the links below describe.

Is Taking Your Pet on an Airplane Worth the Risk? | Off the Road

Second dog death prompts concerns about safety of pets on planes - NBC News.com

Fewer pet deaths on planes but more injuries in 2012 | The Jet Set Pets

Travel Safely with Your Pet by Car, Airplane, Ship, or Train : The Humane Society of the United States
100% agree with you buddy. I am also hearing a lot of negative news related to pet shipping by planes and also pet scams are also increasing. Read that article too
here-is-how-to-beware-of-pet-scams | Forbesz

I am also afraid of these scams. And there are also lots of factors we need to take care of like - Is our pet getting Suffocated, We also need to manage their documents.
I must recommend to Use kennels for you pet shipping.
I always chose trusted pet shipping company for my pet. They might take some extra penny but that doesn't matter in front of my pet safety.
So hope you all and your pet stay safe from scammers.
As it will be so painful to read and watch the daily news coming related to pet scams and death.

Best regards,
Jack

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Wow, very old post full of some negative people of the past! Sad that the people with the opposing viewpoint were seen as being out of line when in reality they were expressing their opinion thoughtfully and with good intentions.

I do miss Stacy--she was always very reasonable!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts