Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question about puppies being shipped from breeders. All the breeders I spoke with say they do this and had experienced no problems. Has anyone here had their puppy shipped from your breeder? I just wondered how does the puppy handle this especially when they are 12 weeks old? How about if they have to go to the bathroom, etc? This is something I might consider..., just because all of the breeders I have spoke with are not in or near my area.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Dec 13 2004, 12:40 AM
I had a question about puppies being shipped from breeders. All the breeders I spoke with say they do this and had experienced no problems. Has anyone here had their puppy shipped from your breeder? I just wondered how does the puppy handle this especially when they are 12 weeks old? How about if they have to go to the bathroom, etc? This is something I might consider..., just because all of the breeders I have spoke with are not in or near my area. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22513
[/QUOTE]

Most breeders will ship but I get worried. I drove to pick up Cookie, Nibbler and Sparkle and they lived far away. Waffle was much too far and there was no way we could drive there. I had no choice but to ship him. However, we did drive across to the US so that his flight will be direct and shorter.

I would recommend that you try and drive to the breeder. This way you can meet them in person and see the puppy in real life and make an educated decision. If you can't drive, try to get the shortest and most direct flight.

By the way, Waffle did not have any problems flying. He was happy to see me and they took excellent care of him. Then again, he was 8 months when he flew so he was no baby.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Charmypo for your reply!

I don't want to get anyone worked up about his topic but I never thought of shipping until I spoke with some well known breeders and they said they ship without problems. I don't mind driving but not too far if I had someone to come with me. And the last time I flew (it was only a 1 1/2 flt.) I got really air sick. (I never have before and flew alot!). Its not an excuse, just saying my situation. Its just that the breeders I have spoke with are not near me. I just wanted to hear more experiences from other people if they have done this.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True! I didn't think about that! But I rather find a way to drive because no offense, i've passed by the Greyhound station here and its not a place I would like to be waiting by myself! Plus its in not the greastest area (downtown area and along w/the tourist theres homeless people and people on drugs..., you get the picture!
).
I'm so sad!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I personally would never buy a puppy(who will be with you for a LONG time) without meeting the breeder and the puppy's parents. You never know if the puppy is coming from a puppy mill or breeder is just doing it for the money.
I also heard about loosing a puppy at the airport.
Too much to worry about, it's just not worse it. I agree with mee, you can take a bus.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a good recommendation to a breeder closer to me!
So I will be contacting her... Actually, the breeder I was considering was from a member who got her pup from her plus I have talked to another breeder who she got a foundation puppy from too (Marcris) who also bought a pup from her as well; so I know shes legitimate but its the distance and you guys are right too...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Snoopychan,

I know most people will recommend not shipping and of course if there is another way - it is better. With that said, if a reputable, ethical and caring breeder finds no problem with shipping, we should not worry as much. Many people had great success shipping without any problems. There are cases where bad things happen but the percentage is not as high as we think. We have to remember that people only write when there is a problem.

I have only 1 breeder near me that I would buy from but she rarely breeds. I like a specific look and I have to go afar to get that. There is nothing wrong. If you don't find anyone near you with a Maltese you like, then by all means, go farther. Why should you settle? Yes, you will grow to love them no matter what but get what you want. This is a life time commitment.

Just do your homework when you ship. Different airlines work differently.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I picked up Quincy from his breeder, it was a 4 hour drive from me. It was great--met his breeder, who I knew by reputation was an ethical, responsible breeder, and I highly recommend doing it that way if you can. I wanted another pup with a different look and went to a breeder all the way across the country. Another ethical, responsible breeder who I spoke with many times over the phone. She shipped Jonas to me via Delta airlines and they took wonderful care of him! I was a nervous wreck, felt so bad for the little pup and was so worried something could happen to him, but out of the kennel he came, none the worse for the experience. He held his bowels and bladder for the entire flight, and his food and water wasn't even spilled! I was really worried because he had to transfer planes and had a 1 1/2 hour layover, but Delta said he was hand carried off the flight and waited inside the terminal office. And again, he was hand carried off the flight and brought into the terminal office where I had to show ID and they went through his shipping papers before they handed him to me. I would do it again if I had to, but I would prefer not to.
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Just curious - did your baby fly inside the plane or in the cargo hold? I don't think I'd be too nervous if they were in the plane with the passengers. I'm not sure about the cargo.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just beware of WHEN they ship. If they don't have a problem shipping in the winter or summer I wouldn't buy from them. These dogs are down with the cargo and it isn't climate controlled down there. It can get really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. I wouldn't reccomend shipping at all because I don't think it's humane unless the pup gets to fly with the passengers. After all we treat these guys like our children, a part of the family, why shouldn't they get the same treatment as us when flying? I wouldn't want to fly in cargo so I would never put my dog down there. This is one of the reasons why my husband and I always drive the 10-12 hour drive to NC every Christmas. Fantasia is always our reason for driving everywhere we go. We never leave her home and we never board her so we always take her with us wherever we go. Not that there's anything wrong with flying with your pup or even boarding them, I just don't do it for my own reasons. Anyway that's my opinion. I would also like to meet the breeder, pup, and pup's parents so I would want to go there in person if I was the one buying the pup. But again that's just me. I wouldn't like thinking that maybe they were a puppy mill like where my Fantasia came from. I made my mistake and would never do it again. I would have to see with my own eyes before I was satisfied.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 13 2004, 12:12 PM
Just beware of WHEN they ship.  If they don't have a problem shipping in the winter or summer I wouldn't buy from them.  These dogs are down with the cargo and it isn't climate controlled down there.  It can get really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22633
[/QUOTE]

Hi FannyMay.... in the past, there indeed was no climate control on airplanes but now there is. There is a special place where animals are placed and this is climate controlled. There is a limit to the number of animals it can accommodate.... sometimes it is only one animal and I guess on large planes it could be a few. Animals can fly as cargo rather than as luggage and more care is taken to see that they have a safe flight. Even with climate control, animals can't fly if the outside temperature at either end of the flight is 85 degrees.... I believe there is a lower limit also, but I don't recall what it is....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
WOW thanks for sharing that with me. I learn something new everyday on this forum. It's nice to know that they take better care of the animals being shipped now. I am happy now

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, Like Kallies and Catchers mom said, there is a special section that they place the animals that is climate controlled. On the shipping papers the vet filled out, it even specifies the temperature, and size of crate the animal has to be in to be shipped. I was even thinking about maybe shipping both my boys in separate crates when I fly back home to visit next spring. I took Quincy with me on board the last time and it was uncomfortable for him to be squashed in a Sherpa bag under the seat the whole time. He was hot in there and couldn't be let out. I took him out in the terminal while waiting for a connecting flight for him to stretch his legs and was told he had to remain inside the bag. I am thinking they would be more comfortable in a roomy kennel with food and water and cozy bedding. It is dark down there, and I am sure they would sleep the whole flight. But I am a worrier so probably won't do it and leave them home instead.
Quincymom

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Charmypoo and Fannymay had good advice: not all airlines are the same and not all airplanes are the same. Do your homework first to reassure yourself that you made the right choice in shipping.

Ask your breeder what airline they use for shipping, call that airline and ask a lot of questions about the climate controlled cargo section, do all their models have it, how the animals are handled, is there a specific person who does it, etc. I think Continental has a whole job title for animal handling, for instance. They transfer the animals in a climate controlled (heated and air conditioned) vehicle from plane to plane and the person who does the animal care is specially trained.

I say that I would never ship a puppy myself but then, I already HAVE my furbaby and who knows what I would do if desperate? :new_Eyecrazy: At least make sure the puppy is at least 12 weeks old before he his shipped.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I was choosing between Continental and Delta Airlines. I ended up going with Continental and I was so happy with my choice. I found out that Delta treats your babies like luggage. They come down from the conveyor belt!!!

For me, I went to the airport super early to make sure the flight didn't arrive early. I went straight to the woman in charge and told her I had a dog coming. She already knew and she went to pick him up from the plane. She carried him back to the room for me. There was also another dog there in the room with her and she monitored him.

The bad thing was that Waffle's bottle had a leak so his crate was wet but not terribly wet. His breeder packed a lot of food in a bag and taped it to the crate in case anything went wrong.

When I got him, I took him out to play and he was so happy to see me. I took him to potty and gave him water when I let him out.

Make sure you get a tube of nutrical in case your baby looks a little drowsy. This will give him or her nutrients and help with low blood sugar or anything bad.

·
Registered
493 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Do you have a family member/good friend who lives nearby a breeder?? If so, I'd consider even buying the family member/good friend a ticket to bring the pup with them! You get your pup knowing that she/he is safe ... your family member/good friend gets a holiday "on the house" ... and the added bonus of seeing that family member/good friend for a while!!
I say win-win situation for everyone involved!!! :D

·
Registered
493 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Just in addition to my last post.... it may work out cheaper too. For instance, it cost me $69 to fly to my town from the nearest capital city - that's a pretty cheap flight!!! And for an additional $17 my puppy would be allowed to travel with the person on that flight! So $86 all up. But if I fly her on her own, it would cost me $123!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts