Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm finally fed up with my seemingly rock hard mattress and I want a new one that is much softer. I haven't bought one in so long I don't know whats good and what isn't. Does anyone have a favorite brand? Maybe if I get some suggestions I won't have to test every brand in the store, thanks!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
My girlfriend's mom has the Sleep Number bed and loves it. I know they are expensive, but she swears by it. We are in need of a new mattress as well. I think the pillow tops are great, but ours is now 8 years old. The Westin Hotel chain sells their "Heavenly Bed" Westin Heavenly Bed and it is heavenly!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Sep 3 2005, 12:16 PM
Hi! I'm finally fed up with my seemingly rock hard mattress and I want a new one that is much softer.  I haven't bought one in so long I don't know whats good and what isn't.  Does anyone have a favorite brand?  Maybe if I get some suggestions I won't have to test every brand in the store, thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96717
[/QUOTE]
We are also looking for a new mattress. Last fall we went on a cruise and I have never been so comfortable in a bed before-well through research we found out that they are Sealy mattresses-so that is what we are going to buy...they are the Euro pillow top. I'm researching for the best price now. I never thought buying a mattress could be so confusing

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+Sep 3 2005, 02:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Sep 3 2005, 03:19 PM
I never thought buying a mattress could be so confusing

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96725
No kidding, Pillow Top, Tempr-Pedic, it goes on and on. I wish I could afford one of those foam ones, they look comfortable.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96727
[/B][/QUOTE]

A friend of a friend had the Tepur-Pedic and hated it. She said it sort of swallows you up, she returned it after a month.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have the tempurpedic. I dont feel like it swallows me up. It is very comfortable to me. I guess it's a preference thing, but I love it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can already tell I'm going to have to test them all out before I buy, do you think they would care if I brought a blanket and pillow? They never have pillows on the display beds, and without one I just can't compare or tell what it will feel like for "real". Ha Ha, I'm going to look like such a dork, I'll have to remember to go in the early morning when most eople are at work. Do most mattress stores have financing? I'm thinking to get something worth sleeping on I'm going to have to spend a little more than i thought :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
My husband and I have what is called a "King's Down" mattress. If you want a queen size mattress it is called a "Queen's Down" and so forth. Let me tell you that you will never sleep on such a comfortable mattress. It is an incredibly pricey mattress; I think we paid $3,000 five years ago and that was on sale too! However, this mattress comes with a lifetime warranty. If it ever sags, they will replace it for free, basically everything is covered. It is all hand tufted and the box spring is a true box spring. By that, I mean all the coils inside are hand tied.

We have had company come over and want to crawl into our bed. LOL It must just look comfortable. Anyway, my brother fell in love with our mattress and a few months after we were married he went out and bought the Queen's Down. To this day, I can still say that mattress was money well spent.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats awesome that you're thinking about it now....matress stores around here have sales during labor day weekend.
AND... this might make you sick (some people think its sick anyway) but ask if you can have the floor model. we bought a queen matress that was worth $1500...but bought it for $200. itstill felt great. it had only been a floor model for like 3 months or something.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Sep 4 2005, 11:46 AM
thats awesome that you're thinking about it now....matress stores around here have sales during labor day weekend. 
  AND... this might make you sick (some people think its sick anyway) but ask if you can have the floor model.  we bought a queen matress that was worth $1500...but bought it for $200.  itstill felt great.  it had only been a floor model for like 3 months or something.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96831
[/QUOTE]

200 for a $1500 mattress, thats awesome! I don't think I'll be able to afford one this weekend, but if I found a deal like that I would consider breaking out the "emergency" credit card

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Oh, one other thing I forgot to add...be careful when purchasing a mattress. I saw a special on 20/20 sometime ago where mattress companies would take the old mattresses, recover them and resell them as new! Some woman became so ill after buying a "new" mattress and she couldn't figure out why; after many months of doctor visits, she finally realized it was her mattress. She took a knife, slit the matress open, only to find, bugs, urine and blood under the cover!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Sep 3 2005, 04:31 PM
I have the tempurpedic.  I dont feel like it swallows me up.  It is very comfortable to me.  I guess it's a preference thing, but I love it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96729
[/QUOTE]

We have a Tempur-Pedic too and it doesn't swallow us up either, it is the best thing we ever invested in, no more pressure points, yippeeeeeee
One thing is though, they do get a bit warm, at least for me anyway, but for comfort you can't beat the space foam.
I tried to sleep down in the basement one night because of bad weather, and we have an inflatable queen size down there, at first it was comfy, but after a while it get hard compared to our king size upstairs and when I came up and hopped into it I thought it was heaven, so lovely and soft and comfy.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
GROSS!!!!

Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 5 2005, 05:58 PM
Oh, one other thing I forgot to add...be careful when purchasing a mattress.  I saw a special on 20/20 sometime ago where mattress companies would take the old mattresses, recover them and resell them as new!  Some woman became so ill after buying a "new" mattress and she couldn't figure out why; after many months of doctor visits, she finally realized it was her mattress.  She took a knife, slit the matress open, only to find, bugs, urine and blood under the cover!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97062
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Sep 5 2005, 08:00 PM
GROSS!!!!

Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 5 2005, 05:58 PM
Oh, one other thing I forgot to add...be careful when purchasing a mattress.  I saw a special on 20/20 sometime ago where mattress companies would take the old mattresses, recover them and resell them as new!  Some woman became so ill after buying a "new" mattress and she couldn't figure out why; after many months of doctor visits, she finally realized it was her mattress.  She took a knife, slit the matress open, only to find, bugs, urine and blood under the cover!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97062

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97072
[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone! Today I found the perfect mattress. It's made by Serta, but it's foam. I tested the real Tempur-Pedic ones, but they were a bit too squishy for me.
I guess I'll be paying for this for the next two years, but I know I'll sleep better now, maybe it will give me the endurance to finish graduate school
Thanks for the advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts