Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last week or so, I've been getting woken up by Abby (up to 5 times a night), who seems to be 'licking' really loudly. It's very irritating.

So, last night I tried to listen to see what it really was that was making her do it (ie was she just licking the air or licking her feet or what). She seems to be doing like a burp, I guess you could say.... to me it's like when you sort of burp/hiccup and it makes you bring up a little bile.... then she swallows it and that's what the noise is...

Could she be doing this?? And what should I do?? Is it something that I am feeding her? She eats plain cooked chicken mostly (mixed with baby veges).... she has eaten that her whole life and never had a complaint.... In the last few weeks I have given her a new type of dry dog food, which she seems to like... it's a cheaper brand (My Dog Selection, a chicken and vege one). I actually got it at the corner store as a fill-in until I located another brand of dog food for her (thinking at the time "well, it'll have to do until I get the new stuff". I tried other expensive brands and she turned her nose up to all of them), but then it turned out to be the only one I have found in my entire time of having her that she hasn't turned her nose up to... she seems to like it. Could it be something in it??

Should I take her to the vet? Should I stop giving her the dry food immediately? Do you think it is the dry food? I don't know what's wrong! And I feel bad cos I'm getting frustrated at being woken up so much and I get cranky and tell her to be quiet and stop it, but now I realise she's probably feeling sick from something....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
does it sound like the beginning sounds of a hiccup...sucking air and getting clogged in their throat??

because then that means that she's not eating enough...and she could be throwing up from not eating. did you stop feeding chicken all together?

ellie wouldnt eat, and she would throw up from not eating. and a few times she would swallow it....but most of the time it was clear or yellow.

im not a fan of dog food though. lol. i hope someone can help.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 15 2005, 10:08 PM
does it sound like the beginning sounds of a hiccup...sucking air and getting clogged in their throat??

because then that means that she's not eating enough...and she could be throwing up from not eating.  did you stop feeding chicken all together?

ellie wouldnt eat, and she would throw up from not eating.  and a few times she would swallow it....but most of the time it was clear or yellow. 

im not a fan of dog food though.  lol.  i hope someone can help. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62514
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kind of :new_Eyecrazy: It's such a hard thing to explain!

I haven't stopped feeding her the chicken - she gets chicken once a day and dry food morning and available during the day. She seems to be eating though... maybe I'm not feeding her quite enough?? Do you know the recommendations on the amounts of food? She's 10 months old.

I think I'm going to first try the chicken meal morning and night and dry food available during the day. If that doesn't work, then I'll try eliminating the dry food all together... do you think that sounds ok?

I'm not the hugest fan of dog food either - I just haven't had much time to cook bulk meals lately, so had to resort to dry aswell...

Maybe I can get another recipe for dog food and make some Thursday night... If I make a double batch then it'll take care of it for a while...

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
My Abbey will do this, too - once in a while. She has been doing it since we got her at 12 wks. Not everyday but once in a while. She will almost act like she has a furball in her throat. She has brought up her food a couple of times. I've checked with the vet and she wasn't concerned about it since she wasn't doing it every day. The vet says she's healthy and not to be alarmed by it! Maybe you could check with your vet at your next appt. just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hello, Im sorry about your problem, I know you've got to be losing lots of sleep over it. Bellla used to do this too (I think...it is a hard thing to explain) until I switched her food. I wish I could tell you for sure that Bella and your dog had the same problem, but I can't. I've been giving Bella FLint River Ranch and she loves it, and has had no tummy problems, but just switching their food can give them stomach aches, so Im hestitant to tell you to try that. Also, the kibble is rather large for a maltese, and I don't know what I think about that (Bellas a really agressive chewer so I probably worry for no reason). Well, I dont feel I have helped at all
but I have a question for you. I think Bella would really like to eat chicken, but I am afraid I would give her way too much. How do you prepare it? Do you cut it up really small and let her eat it when she wants to? Bella really really loves to eat and I think I would have to feed it to her by hand so she doesn't choke or eat it all in two big bites. She has no self control :D I hope you figure out what is causing you and baby to lose sleep, I wish our Maltese could talk because I know they're smarter than us

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i wouldnt know an exact amount of food to feed your baby...i dont follow the books.
lol. i feed like 3 times the amount.

i think (buti have no clue if your baby is doing the same thing as ellie used to...because ellie would throw up 99% of the time she would make that noise) but that maybe to try to feed her more chicken and rice---and see if its because she wasnt eating enough. definitely talk to your vet if it keeps happening though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doctorcathy & bellasmommy - thanks for all the advice. Last night I gave her an extra big helping of dinner, she didn't eat it all, but she went back to it a few times during the course of the evening and by the time we went to bed there was only a small amount left in the bowl.

Well voila! No noises to wake me up lastnight. And she seemed so much more settled too! This morning I gave her chicken and baby veges. She cleaned the entire bowl out, so I thought I mustn't have given her enough... so I put some of the dry food down for her to have a nibble on if she was still hungry, and for during the day.......... and there she goes doing that 'burping' noise again :eek:

I think from that I can safely assume that it is the dry food - because I gave her none yesterday and she was fine, and now I've given it to her this morning it has started all over again!

bellasmommy - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has come across this... but as I said above... I think I've put it down to the food now. I'm going to stop it completely and see what happens...

For Abby's chicken meals, i just cut up a chicken breast into small cubes.... sometimes I cook it in a fry pan and other times I cook it in the microwave. Then I mix it with a few tablespoons of baby veges. Abby is a chicken maniac and loves it! I give it to her twice a day (morning and night) and leave it down for an hour or so, so that she can take a bit as she likes - but she normally eats it all in one sitting! LOL

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
bellasmommy - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has come across this... but as I said above... I think I've put it down to the food now. I'm going to stop it completely and see what happens...

For Abby's chicken meals, i just cut up a chicken breast into small cubes.... sometimes I cook it in a fry pan and other times I cook it in the microwave. Then I mix it with a few tablespoons of baby veges. Abby is a chicken maniac and loves it! I give it to her twice a day (morning and night) and leave it down for an hour or so, so that she can take a bit as she likes - but she normally eats it all in one sitting! LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62666
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! I might try feeding Bella chicken because she is also a chicken freak
I have been giving her a meat stick out of a baby food for toddlers jar, mixed in with her dog food. She loves that, but I think real chicken might be better. Im so glad your baby is eating well and not making funny noises anymore

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I think sometimes just giving a little snack before bedtime helps with the 'empty-tummy syndrome" which this sounds like it could be.
Missysmom

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,

I will definitely ask the vet when we are next in. She seems to be doing a lot better now...

I feel a bit bad because even though I've left her food out, I feel like it's my fault she isn't eating enough.... so I snuck home at lunch time and gave her a little extra of her meat

Originally posted by Abbey@May 16 2005, 09:23 AM
My Abbey will do this, too - once in a while.  She has been doing it since we got her at 12 wks.  Not everyday but once in a while.  She will almost act like she has a furball in her throat.  She has brought up her food a couple of times.  I've checked with the vet and she wasn't concerned about it since she wasn't doing it every day. The vet says she's healthy and not to be alarmed by it!  Maybe you could check with your vet at your next appt. just to be sure.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62561
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@May 17 2005, 01:41 PM
I think sometimes just giving a little snack before bedtime helps with the 'empty-tummy syndrome" which this sounds like it could be.
Missysmom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62908
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of it, but when you mentioned it I was like "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?!"

Can you tell me though, what sort of snack do you suggest? More of her main meal? Or should I buy some bikkies for her or something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts