Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,100 Posts
I would definitely consider my relationship with the doctor to be my primary focus--a good gyn is hard to find.

Having said that, I can't believe that HIPAA won't allow them to state something like: we notice that you are due for your regular check-up or something to that effect. Our dentist and the chiro always do--doesn't HIPAA apply equally to all?

I think the staff handled your situation without any consideration of your feelings. That alone would make me switch. I can't stand being treated like a thing or a number. So many medical clinics do that to patients. However, if, like me, you are well insured and have an array of choices, I'd say take your business and your money somewhere you'll be treated with kindness and respect.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Here's a reference with some guidelines. I usually prefer to check primary sources rather than secondary ones, but can't because I am in the process of completing a difficult philosophical translation right now :D

From: HIPAA Privacy; Oral Disclosures; Vanderbuilt Medical Center
HIPPAA PRIVACY - Oral Disclosure

LEAVING PHONE MESSAGES - Description:

Phone calls to patients are made to follow up after a visit, to remind them of upcoming appointments, to let them know the result of a test is in, to let them know the prescription order has been filled, or for a variety of other reasons. When the patient is not available to answer the phone call, messages are sometimes left.

Messages are left with someone other than the patient or on an answering machine present the risk that unauthorized individuals are receiving information related to the patient's healthcare directly or by hearing it on the answering machine.

Recommended Safeguards:

§ Appointment reminder messages should be limited to a confirmation of the patient's name, the physician's name, and the date/time of the appointment. No information that may be related to the patient's condition should be left (clinic name, type of procedure, etc.).

§ When attempting to contact the patient to discuss clinical information (i.e. test results, instructions, etc.) the message should only confirm it is from VUMC and leave a name and a callback number.

§ If the clinical communication is urgent, and staff are having difficulty contacting the patient, professional judgment can be used to leave more detailed messages on machines or with family members.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.