Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I would like to know what the benefits are of neutering,my elmo is 18 months old and i don't have a good reason to neuter,why do you neuter.It may seem strange but i want him to experience sex with all his bits in tact.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
NEUTER NEUTER NEUTER NEUTER!

I can't say it enough. First off, if you neuter he's more likely to not do that disgusting marking thing that SMELLS. It reduces his risk for cancer I think and honestly? If you don't neuter him he'll be extremely.. horny. :lol: He'll chase after females in heat, etc etc. If he is bred once he'll never be the same - and animals aren't like us with the whole sex thing.

Anyways, I'm sure one of my more experienced fellows can explain this all to you. But NEUTER HIM!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
1. Prostate cancer.

2. Prostatic cysts which can rupture into the abdomen and lead to severe infection and death.

3. Testicular cancer.

4. Benign prostatic hypertrophy which can be quite uncomfortable for the dog and cause frequent urination and bloody urine.

5. Increased chance of wandering, marking, and other undesirable behaviors.

There is a huge pet overpopulation problem in the US. If your dog is not prove in the conformation ring, health tested, has a great temperament, has superb structure, etc., it should not be bred. MOST dogs should not be bred.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 12 2005, 07:41 PM
1. Prostate cancer.

2. Prostatic cysts which can rupture into the abdomen and lead to severe infection and death.

3. Testicular cancer.

4. Benign prostatic hypertrophy which can be quite uncomfortable for the dog and cause frequent urination and bloody urine.

5. Increased chance of wandering, marking, and other undesirable behaviors.

There is a huge pet overpopulation problem in the US. If your dog is not prove in the conformation ring, health tested, has a great temperament, has superb structure, etc., it should not be bred. MOST dogs should not be bred.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42666
[/QUOTE]

Fantastic Response JMM!

There are so many unwanted Maltese in rescue--every spay/neutered pet is one that isn't contributing to the sad numbers of unwanted, neglected, unhealthy, and mistreated furbabies in the world! Plus, neutering your little fellow will make him happier and healthier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi,i did not know there was so many risks in not neutering.I think i will visit the vet and get him done,thanks...........nat and elmo. :D

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You might check with your vet too to see if he expects Elmo to need a dental in the next year. If so, you could do everything at once so he would only need anesthesia once. If his teeth look great, I would go ahead and schedule the neuter any time. Don't forget to have bloodwork done before hand and be sure they use only Isoflurance gas (you have to request that they be masked down and not receive an IV induction drug other than Propofol).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 14 2005, 09:50 AM
You might check with your vet too to see if he expects Elmo to need a dental in the next year. If so, you could do everything at once so he would only need anesthesia once. If his teeth look great, I would go ahead and schedule the neuter any time. Don't forget to have bloodwork done before hand and be sure they use only Isoflurance gas (you have to request that they be masked down and not receive an IV induction drug other than Propofol).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42930
[/QUOTE]
thank you so much for that information.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Kodie@Mar 15 2005, 12:39 AM
all I have to say is... "MARKING... MARKING.... MARKING" ...if you dont neuter.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43051
[/QUOTE]
he does mark a lot,i did'nt know if neutering stopped that,everytime something new comes into the houe he pee's on it,and when i take him for a walk all he does is sniff everything and mark,thanks for the information,i will definately get him done. :D............i got my male cat done because he was marking inside and the smell was disgusting,i just thought dogs may be different.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
HAHAH. Marking SUCKS! Every shopping bag I brought home, Cloud would peepee on it. Or anything white on the floor!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 15 2005, 08:50 AM
HAHAH.  Marking SUCKS!  Every shopping bag I brought home, Cloud would peepee on it.  Or anything white on the floor!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43246
[/QUOTE]
elmo does the same thing,he only pee's in 2 places in the house if i don't put him out,but like i said anything new in the house,he pee's on. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts