Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I spay Brit'ny? Since the time I got her, I thought I knew I wanted to spay her. But today a lady who claimed to be a vet assistant or something said that spaying a female makes them; crazy, hinders development, makes them fat, lazy, and stunts bone growth. Is this TRUE? I thought it was beneficial to spay or neuter a dog! I thought if you do allow them to go into heat is when there personality changes... I don't want brit brit to be fat lazy and crazy and underdeveloped....

Please help, any real vets out there?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I would spay her. I have never heard about "spaying a female makes them; crazy, hinders development, makes them fat, lazy, and stunts bone growth." What I have heard is that an unspayed female has a greater chance of getting cancer of the uterus and also breast cancer than that of a spayed female.

Did this person work at your vets office or was it someone you met elsewhere? If it was some you met elsewhere I would talk to your vet. If you are not planning on breeding her there is no reason not to spay her. Since Lexi was spayed she is more cuddly but she is still VERY energetic. If it was someone in your vets office I would definitly talk to your vet about it. If it is not true they should not be saying that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had never heard that either! I heard that female dogs are more tempremental after they have babies... but I just got worried

No, she is a lady that I work with from time to time. I was telling her that my vet had said to spay Britn'y just a tad earlier than 6months because smaller dogs usually come into heat a little early.

Maybe she just didn't know what she was talking about....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, he recommended she gets spayed in the next month or so so I will stick with that!

She was really trying to argue me down! She said its going to mess up Brit's hormones and make her short and fat and lazy! She said its cruel its like giving a young child a historectomy (sp?) before they fully mature.

I just want what is best for her ya know? But Ive never heard any of those things before... this lady said she worked for a vet for Xnumber of years.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I just spoke to my breeder about spaying Chanel and I also talked to someone else's breeder about spaying Maltese. And I think the woman you spoke with cheated on her vet assistant test!!!!
For pete's sake!

My breeder told me to wait until she is "at around 7 or 8 months. This way if she has retained baby teeth they can be pulled at the same time. No need to put her to sleep twice. She will probably not go into heat till around 7 to 8 month of age. That is the usual time for Maltese." She has been breeding Maltese for 20 years.

Also, I spoke to Brittlot's breeder (who is very nice and informative) and she said, "It is better to have one heat than to lose her under surgery,,,, I have had many many have one heat and with NO repercussing's,,all my fermale I recomend that they dont have her spayed till at least 9 months old, most toy breeds dont have their first heat till around a year of age". She has been breeding for atleast 20 years as well.

So, I have concluded that Chanel will get spayed when she is about 7-9 months old. I spayed my Rottie at 6 months and she recovered quick, but these are such tiny little dogs...I still need to get more information. I was going to get her spayed at 6 months, but maybe 8 months is a good average?

Also, the VCA near my house charges $225-$250 to spay her. Absolutely ridiculous. I need to look around and price compare.

Hope this helped a bit!

~Elegant

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm interesting guys.... my vet told me that maltese come in to heat EARLIER because they are toy dogs.

I guess I will go see other vets, I mean when people do major surgery they go to more than one doctor....

And I need to read up on it, and call my breeder and see what she says.

Thanks guys! Im excited about learning more! Ive never had a female dog before, and I just want the best

Oh and I got quoted 263 for a spay at one place, and 95 at another, but the 95 didn't include pain meds and blood work so it will probably bring it to about 165 or so.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
When I got Lexi I held off until she was almost done teething so that I could have any baby teeth pulled that had not fallen out. My vet charges $25 for one tooth and $35 for 2 or more teeth. The spaying was $90 and pain meds (to take home) were $12. I also had her microchiped which was $45 plus the $12 you send in.

Lexi had just turned 6 months when she was spayed. She is just as energetic as before (maybe even more so).

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i dont know if maltese heat earlier cuz they're toy dogs. i heard that they grow to be adults at 1 yr (like they're full grown, and they're mentally matured) and it seems like that with our dogs. like right when sprite and ellie turned one yr....they're attitudes were different (they listened more) and they stopped play biting and most of those puppy problems. gruffi is a year and a half and JUST started to stop bothering the girls, and he hasnt grown all the way yet.

im glad you've decided to spay your baby. i think its the healthiest thing to do.

and the cool thing about this site is that most of the people here research their information. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts