Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys . .. don't know the forum's rules about posting links to commerical sites but just wanted to let you all know that "Pure Paws" makers of a great show-quality shampoo line (I use it on my show Yorkie) has now posted grooming instructions for Maltese on their website. If the administrator is OK with it I'll post the link, otherwise, you can just "google" them. It's a powerpoint demonstration.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
That was good info. Great before and after in the slide show. Very pretty dog!

Maybe some show people can tell me this...
Do they flat iron the coats? I didn't know that until I read it on that slide show.
Another reason I am a puppy cut fan. LOL

When they talk about the hot oil treatment, do they mean any? Like VO-5 or anything you can get in the store?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Has anyone bought the video? I am willing to try it but any insight will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am having trouble with the part that says "iron" too. How do you iron a Malts coat? I have mental images but I am positive they are not right

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Oct 23 2005, 08:58 AM
I am having trouble with the part that says "iron" too. How do you iron a Malts coat? I have mental images but I am positive they are not right

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112533
[/QUOTE]

Maltese show people will have to answer that. Never heard of Malts coat being ironed. I think they are talking about the Yorkies. I've seen it done on a Silky Terrier preparing for the ring, and Silky's coats are almost the same as Yorkies.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Oct 23 2005, 10:58 AM

[/QUOTE]

i'm having the same images

the buttercup hates being up on the ironing board as it is! i did use my curling iron to add curls to her topknot once. i used the low setting and she looked adorable. the only problem we had was she kept wanting to lick the iron.
"things we'll never do again --- #496"

ann marie and the "d*mn SKIPPY you won't be doing that sh*t again!" buttercup, who would like everyone to know how she REALLY feels about the situation....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup+Oct 23 2005, 12:21 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Angelsmom
@Oct 23 2005, 10:58 AM

i'm having the same images

the buttercup hates being up on the ironing board as it is! i did use my curling iron to add curls to her topknot once. i used the low setting and she looked adorable. the only problem we had was she kept wanting to lick the iron.
"things we'll never do again --- #496"

ann marie and the "d*mn SKIPPY you won't be doing that sh*t again!" buttercup, who would like everyone to know how she REALLY feels about the situation....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112571
[/B][/QUOTE]

OMG!
You CRACK me up!

My husband would TRULY lock me up if he caught me curling the dogs hair with the curling iron!

I am sure they are probably talking about a flat iron/straightening iron...but I had never heard of them doing that, even for show dogs...but maybe they do. To me, that would make it even harder to keep their coats healthy...
I used to straight iron my hair, and I put some stuff like Liquid Silk on it...ok, so a few times it WAS the Liquid Silk
It made it straighten smoother and made me feel better about the heat. I haven't curled my hair with curlers or a curling iron in so many years I can't remember...but I blow dry it every day and home color it, so I am very conscious about trying not to dry it out. Anyway, the Liquid Silk and whatever that other stuff was, (I think it was something by Dove) kept it from getting dried out, and left it silky feeling.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
When dogs are shown their coats are often straightened using a ceramic iron, much like a curling iron only used to straingten. That is one of the reasons you will see the judges part the hair and look closely at the roots ( it is at the roots that you can see the tell tale kink). The type of iron that is used is VERY expensive and not something that most of us would have on had for our pets. I am sure that there are alot of dogs that have genetically straight and beautiful hair but the lovely flowing hair we see on the show dogs is achieved after ALOT of hard work and effort.

Also, when they talk about oiling the dogs hair it's a bit more compicated than just the VO5 hot oil treatment. From what I've read when a dog is "kept in oil" it's coat needs to be kept oiled otherwise it is very easily matted and tangled.

Maybe Jackie or Lucy Lou can give better information. I've been trying to "read up" and have been corresponding with a breeding trying to learn what I can in the hope of perhaps someday actually having a puppy I can show.

A couple things I have recently learned is NEVER USE THE comb and never brush a dry coat. The breeder that I have been talking to recommends never using human shampoo but thinks it's ok to use quality human conditioner. I use a saloon leave in conditioner when brushing, always giving a quick spritz before brushing. In just a month of making a few changes in the way I groom I've noticed a huge difference in the quality of Ty's coat.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I am sure they are probably talking about a flat iron/straightening iron...[/B]
That's what some show people do. The first time I saw them do it was on the Maltese Specialty show in Dallas. I don't know if what they were using was specially for dogs or if they used the thing people use.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Oct 23 2005, 01:26 PM
Also, when they talk about oiling the dogs hair it's a bit more compicated than just the VO5 hot oil treatment.  From what I've read when a dog is "kept in oil" it's coat needs to be kept oiled otherwise it is very easily matted and tangled. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112599
[/QUOTE]

This is a quote from the slide show. They later tell about leaving it in oil...I don't think they are meaning the same thing, b/c this one you rinse out.

Hot Oil Treatment: After bathing apply the following solution: 1 part conditioner with 1 part water. (Blend solution well – do not leave clumps). Pour solution over dog and let sit for 20min. Rinse well and blow dry. [/B]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts