Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We totally forgot our last "Show us your" thread. This one is show us your entry or front of the house or back or other spaces we missed thread.

Our house on the outside doesn't look at all like you'd guess on the inside. Never guess we had mediterreanean style on the inside? I did the palladian arches over the window and the front door though,to snazz it up a bit.

This is our landscaping,it's bigger now,this was a couple years ago. I restored the old lion fountain.

Back deck, built retainer wall,filled w/ red lava rock and the grey blobs are faces,flowers,dogs,cats,butterflies,sand dollars and some shells in concrete I cast. I have some in the front too but not in the piccies.

Entry hall.

More of entry after I did the trim work and corbels in plaster.
I love doing that stuff,totally addicting!

Close up of plaster work I did.

Finished my bathroom shelf project I started over the holidays. Did a plaster relief,shelf and trim under shelf.

Laundryroom bath redo. It was yellow w/ a white vanity,so I sponged the walls a different colour,I covered the vanity in embossed wallpaper ,wood grained it and stained it and put new hardware.

Trim over door,shooting for that architectural fragment look.

Framed face I made.

I love doing projects...

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Michelle, I think you would like Greece!
Your home is a surprise at every turn. Plaster work is not for the faint of heart!
Sorry I can't share this one but will enjoy looking!!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I miss the plaster and architecture when I lived in Greece. Might be why my tastes lay in the mediterrranean style.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
michelle thats awesome ! i live in an apt bldg , very normal . lmao i guess i can take a pic when i go home today .. nothing atall nice n fancy like urs.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Michelle - you just blow me away with your talent. I'm afraid to put a nail in the wall to hang pictures.:blush::brownbag: DIY is not I. :huh: Hmmm I'll have to be creative about my front entry area since I live in an apt building too. Let me think on this.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had the same thing when we lived in a rental for a while,weren't allowed to hang piccies,no holes in the wall.
Glad when we moved out!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
We had the same thing when we lived in a rental for a while,weren't allowed to hang piccies,no holes in the wall.
Glad when we moved out!
:smrofl::smrofl:No Michelle - I live in a co-op so we own it and can do whatever we want to the walls and rest of the place, but I'm so inept in doing renovation work that I don't even nail a picture to the wall.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can relate,my cooking consists of making a casserole or lazagna from scratch and or doctering up a frozen pizza! I do love to bake but I'm the only sweet tooth in the house so it goes to waste or should I say waist...mine!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Thanks for putting this up Michelle - I have been having some issues with SM (not the people or anything, but logging in and getting pictures to upload). I hope everyone will post pictures of the front of their homes/entries.

I will make a new list for Show Us Your . . . . this week.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Michelle I just LOVE your interior decor! You really have exquisite taste!

Alright so I'll be brave and post pics of the outside of my home. The outside is nothing like the inside. Our house is a 1960s split. The front door was literally falling off the house when we bought it 3 years ago. Last spring we replaced the siding, windows, roof. The house DESPERATELY needs landscaping and a better designed walkway. It does't have much character at all. Where we live is very woodsy and therefore BUGGY in the summer. I haven't done much with the backyard because quite frankly we don't sit out there because it's so buggy. I really don't think we will stay in this house more than a few more years. I can't see pouring anymore money into this house when we know we want something newer and a little bigger. But we bought our fixer upper because it's in a great town and my commute to work is only 45 seconds!

Ok so onto our home. Come on in!

Front of the house. The siding color is actually a sage green but the photos make it look grayish brown.

Here's the back of the house. The room with all the windows is our sunroom. It's adorable. I don't have any pics of the inside but I put a wrought iron chandelier in there and furniture....it's quite cozy. Like I said we don't sit on our patio because of the bugs but we always utilize the porch.

The yard. It's overwhelming! It really needs a makeover.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Tammy - your house is beautiful and I can see all the hard work you did on the house! I think its lovely and a great testimate to your hard work.....it gets buggy here too in the summer so we have a deck but no patio.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Thanks Erin. It really has come a long way. It was SCARY and in need of some major TLC! I am proud of the house and all our hard work. But I don't think I'll ever buy another fixer upper LOL! If this house had the right yard I would have stayed and expanded, but it's just not practical to be able to put a pool in the yard. Too buggy and too shady.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I love the red ,beveled glass entry door and side lights and all the clean landscaping. We want to change our front door to let in more light but since it's for sale, they're vintage carved doors so hate to get rid of them...let the new owners do that.

We're lucky it doesn't get too buggy but I think it's because we have lots of bats and they pretty much take care of most of the buzzies around.Sometimes the mozzies (skeeters) get a little bad if we get a rain,but the bats take care of most of them. We're not surrounded by trees the way you are,it's pretty open ,but near woods...

When we lived in Naples we had a screened lanai,a must to keep out the buggies and pine needles...

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I don't actually have a front entry as you walk right into my kitchen but here is a picture of the front of my house. Nothing spectacular as its a standard cape.

But we have made big/minor improvements. When we first moved in there were no shutters and the front door was pine green and there were little pine tree shrubs along the front gardens. The driveway was unpaved (pretty common in Maine as pavement leads to more ice) and there was no deck on the back. There was also very little grass!!

So, we added shutters, painted the front/side doors to match, planted a new lawn, paved the driveway, built a deck, and did some landscaping. Its still a work in progress - but aren't yards always a work in progress?!?!

Here is the front:
DSC04785.jpg

I don't have a great picture of the backyard on this computer but the deck is very large (about 2/3 the back of our house and 12 feet deep) and is untreated (until this spring) and has white railings. Here's a picture of the side from this summer. I usually don't take many pictures of the deck because we haven't bought furniture for it as we still need to treat the wood, but you will get the idea.
DSC05082.jpg

Like Tammy, this is not the home I hope to live in for the rest of my life. Its on a busy busy street (in a subpar school district) and while the yard is GREAT for Hunter its not ideal for much else - too many trees and too many changes in elevation. Therefore, while we have agreed to make cosmetic changes here and there around the house and yard, we are not doing any major projects! But still, its our first home and so it remains special and I am proud of the small tasks that we have done.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Erin your house is adorable!!!! It's like a precious Maine cottage! I love it! You and Josh did a great job. It's beautifully maintained. You can tell you put alot of TLC into your home. First homes are very special. I agree 100%. My first home was a patio home but I bought it on my own when I was 24. It was the sweetest home. But I lived alone for about a year before Erik moved in. So it never felt like "our" home. It's nice when you have a home that you have designed and fixed up as a couple.

So since we both know these aren't our forever homes let's go house hunting together when the time comes. We can be neighbors!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts