Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im planning on starting showing my new fluff next year, but iv never kept a long coat malt! can anyone give me tips, what to buy, things i'll need to take to a show, how to wrap the coat etc, all hekp greatly appreciated!:ThankYou:

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Hi,

I see you're in the UK :)
where is your malt from?

My boy is from then Uk :)

You don't need to wrap the coat but I think most do it.
here is a great picture tutorial on wrapping:
Wrapping A Maltese

Things you'll need to buy:
a silk show lead - I bought 1 here HUB Int. Catalogue & 2 on ebay.

show bows - I get the majority of mine from www.myladysdogbows.com
I prefer the single looped ones with backing but everyone has their own faves :)
In the UK and Ireland, usually puppies and adults are shown with 1 topknot, however I prefer doubles and have started showing my boy in doubles but for now you should stick to single ones - much easier :)

- a good pin brush. I use the pink madan and the light blue madan :)
Topdollar Grooming - Brushes

a pin tail comb - I got one in boots.

a small face comb - http://www.topdollar-grooming.co.uk/Images/Combs/Small_metal.jpg

a good grooming spray - I use Plush puppy OMG spray.

good shampoo and conditioner - it really depends on your dogs coat.
I use plush puppy at the moment but have bought pure paws to try.
Lots of people use Wampum - Topdollar Grooming - Wampum

grooming bands - I use 1/4 light weight ones - you can get whatever colours you like but I use clear ones for shows. HUB Int. Catalogue

Plush puppy protein balm - I really like this - its a nice finishing touch to the coat before the ring.

I always bring my grooming table to shows - but I'm not sure of the set up in the UK.

Other things I bring to shows are:
His crate - show days are long and he needs sleep.
a small towel - good for raising his head when doing his topknot and if there is any accidents/muddy show grounds.

powder(talc or plush puppy powder) good for muddy paws, messy faces etc.

water - I use a hamster bottle on normal show days to keep his face dry - however if it is a really warm day I will use his bowl and then use powder to dry his face.

Bait - Milo gets chicken or liver cake only on show days - its tasty(to him!) and holds his attention. If I am doing ringcraft training during the week at home I use Fish4Dogs stars - but at shows they don't hold his attention.

arm band for ring number - if you're stuck you can use a saftey pin.

Try to find a ringcraft class near you and they will teach you about stacking etc. :)

·
Premium Member
17,460 Posts
:goodpost:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi amby im in the north east (durham) and im not getting my malt till december when he will be 6months old im getting him from Tania Eades, Sedae maltese in west yorkshire. Thanks for all that info! Iv ordered a baby blue madan pin brush already and clear bands but i didnt want to get sprays etc till i knew which ones to get :)

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Lucy Just to add to the already good advice you have received. From my experience.. All coats are not the same.. and the key is to know your dog's coat. Some matt easily.. and some are amazing resiliant. Either way the SAFE thing to do is be faithful to brush, comb that coat EVERY DAY and sometimes it should be checked twice a day. Some dogs need their beards banded early because they for some reason break beard hair easily. I personally don't like to wrap because it can cause problems with breakeage but I may end up doing it if I every have a special to show. I have heard too many horror stories with oil.. but you should ask your breeder about that and maybe someone else will post about it. I have heard of it ruining a good coat. Many do it and I may need to just be educated about the positive points of it. A clean coat will ALWAYS be better and so get to know exactly the best time table for baths. I usually bath every 5 days for show dogs. Another mistake that can be easily made is just the training of a dog. Not all show potential dogs are "natural" to the show ring. I have a beautiful bitch that was eager to walk with a lead at 4 months and then I had a very serious health issue in my family and was not able to work with her for about 3 months.. When I went back to class she (Miss Glory Girl) had decided to be EXTRA stubborn and I was never able to get her trained. She is my siggy picture and now she will hopefully make me some nice show dogs when she is bred. A well trained dog will for sure catch the judges' eye. And a stubborn dog esp. at a older age is overlooked sometimes because judges expect the dog to be trained. Hope all goes well for you. .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh very good Breeder!

Tania should be able to give you loads of help with the showing and grooming!

She is a fantastic breeder and a lovely woman, I will be asking her for all the inside secrets! I was at Leeds show on saturday and she had 4 maltese all of which looked fantastic! she does a brilliant job :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts