Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I have said before I'm a college student and I LOVE MALTESE!!!
I have always been interested on dog showing and I would love to get involved. Shiner (min pin) and I are about to start taking agility classes as soon as I join this local training club. They also hold handling classes from time to time that I hope to get involved in. How could a person like me with extreme $$$$ limitations get into showing. I would love to purchase my own show quality maltese and start out that way. however we have a hard time finding a home to rent with two dogs I couldnt really get another one now. Much less I sure cant afford 3000+ for one. I thought about looking into finding a local Maltese breeder who would mentor me about the show world and handling and perhaps let me play around by showing a prospect of theres when I'm ready. I live in Austin very close to the queen of the maltese showing world. I go to school in Lubbock and there arent very many Maltese around here much less show quality breeders. I thought if I could get into doing agility or obediance with Shiner that might open some doors in the conformation area. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by sassy14830@Feb 9 2005, 12:17 AM
Like I have said before I'm a college student and I LOVE MALTESE!!!
I have always been interested on dog showing and I would love to get involved. Shiner (min pin) and I are about to start taking agility classes as soon as I join this local training club. They also hold handling classes from time to time that I hope to get involved in. How could a person like me with extreme $$$$  limitations get into showing. I would love to purchase my own show quality maltese and start out that way. however we have a hard time finding a home to rent with two dogs I couldnt really get another one now. Much less I sure cant afford 3000+ for one. I thought about looking into finding a local Maltese breeder who would mentor me about the show world and handling and perhaps let me play around by showing a prospect of theres when I'm ready. I live in Austin very close to the queen of the maltese showing world. I go to school in Lubbock and there arent very many Maltese around here much less show quality breeders. I thought if I could get into doing agility or obediance with Shiner that might open some doors in the conformation area. Does anyone have any advice?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34357
[/QUOTE]

I didnt get a response from anyone so I thought I would try one more time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is to start going to as many conformation dog shows as you can. It's a good way to start networking and getting to know some of the breeders/handlers. You also might want to consider taking your current maltese to conformation/handling classes. Even though she is not show quality, she is a good canvas for you to begin learning on and once again you will have the opportunity to network. Be prepared though...maltese are a super-competitive breed to show and you will get both positive and negative responses....the trick is to not get discouraged. You will definitely need to find a mentor who is open to the thought of "new blood" in the show ring. Most show breeders breed for themselves first and foremost so your chances of acquiring a show-quality pup without any prior experience and no mentor are not that great....not saying that it won't happen, just that the odds are not in your favor. I really can't comment on the financial aspect of showing, I am not actively showing yet but hope to be by the end of the year.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't know too much about it either. I know that you have to find a mentor and it seems like the way to do that might be to hang around dog shows, talking to people. Maybe even to try and meet up with some handlers and see if you could apprentice with them. They'd probably start you out cleaning cages, walking dogs, etc. If you want to actually show and own dogs yourself then you are going to be talking about some serious money. Maybe the way to start is just to get acquainted with a breeder or a handler and offer to help them and learn while you watch.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Our local Kennel Club has a program for handlers that includes several levels of training. They also offer a junior handler's program for kids under 18. I think you've gotten some great suggestions, and certainly follow through with your local dog club or breed club (if there is one in your area).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts