Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and sore
He came through beautifully and should have a healthful recovery.

We felt so bad for him this morning...he was so excited to be going for a ride in the car (jumped in on his own for the very first time), and was so happy at the vet's before being taken in...he reminded me of the "I'm going to be tutored" far side cartoon--remember that? The happy dog being driven in the car, smugly yelling out to the cat: "I'm going to be tutored" (subtext, narnarnarnarna!).

Here are a couple of photos of Shrek at 6 months that we took yesterday:

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Aww, I hope Shrek has a quick recovery!
He's so big now I can't believe it! He looks so dainty in the first pic

Lots of hugs from Peanut, Tic and me!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Shrek is cute!

Hugs and kisses for a speedy recovery!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, he is really beautiful..... Hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery from Kallie, Catcher and me....

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
wow, he's gorgeous. how big is he now? he looks gigantic
in an amazingly adorable way, of course.

glad he's on the road to a GREAT recovery!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the well wishes. We have to keep a close eye on him so he doesn't jump, climb stairs, or lick his wounds -- so he's keeping us busy :D

Yes, Shrek is a HUGE Malt. He weighs in at a whopping 9.4 lbs at six months (hasn't gained in a few weeks, though). My guess is that he'll end up being around 12 lbs. We knew he'd be big when we got him, but that didn't matter to us. We were looking for a good companion for Sylphide.

His mom is a 9 1lb malt, and his dad a 5 pounder...although he has an AKC pedigree and many Malt qualities (including a silky coat), there is something suspiciously Westie like about his face and body stance. I think there's a West Highland Terrier ancestor there somewhere...

He has the loveliest personality. Very, very sweet and obedient. We have hardly had to train him at all...he just observes and follows the rules. I wonder what he thinks about Sylphide and her manic antics, sometimes. The interesting thing is that although he loves to play rough with her and race and wrestle, he doesn't imitate her manic behaviors.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Loved the photos! I hope his recovery will go smoothly and you can keep him quiet for a few days.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww! Kisses and Hugs to Lil Shrek! ButterCloud is 12 lbs and let me tell ya, It is so fun to hug and hold him because they arent as fragile as the standard size maltese. I have a feeling Shrek will be bigger than 12 lbs. I don't think Cloud was that big at Shrek's age. TAKE CARE!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Shrek has passed this milestone with flying colors! How is he doing? Are you taking any special precautions other than keeping him still? Is it difficult? (I'm just gathering as much info as I can because Izzy is going soon!)

P.S. What did Shrek learn at his tutoring?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we've all had a rough night. Shrek is lying beside me whining. He's on pain meds, but that doesn't seem to fully relieve the soreness. He has trouble walking because of the double whammy of the hernia plus neuter. He cries out on a regular basis, and there is nothing we can do for him except cuddle and console.

Beyond that, he's doing well--eating heartily, and all bodily functions working normally.

So far, we don't have to worry about him jumping. But, he will try to go up or down stairs if we walk away, so one of us is holding him or near him at all times.

Waah. I look forward to having him back to his old self. It's heartbreaking to see him suffer.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Poor little guy
Im so sorry he is having a hard time with the pain.Prayers your way that the meds kick in and take his pain away.Please keep us posted.Smooches & Hugs from my gang

·
Registered
841 Posts
Aw poor Shrek we know how he feels Summer just had the chip and hernia, operation last Wed and she's doing great as of today running and almost back to normal still gets tired easy
Get well soon Shrik

·
Registered
894 Posts
Poor baby, Sisse wanted me to tell Shrek that she knows just how he feels!! I hope you guys got some sleep last night!! It is just SO HARD to see them in pain and realize that if it wasn't for YOU they would be fine!! I hope he recovers quickly and he gets back to himself real quick!! Glad to hear your pain meds are working, ours don't seem to be....ugh.....

Sisse sends her love and soft puppy kisses to Shrek....

Melana

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@May 31 2005, 10:26 PM
Yes, Shrek is a HUGE Malt.  He weighs in at a whopping 9.4 lbs at six months (hasn't gained in a few weeks, though). My guess is that he'll end up being around 12 lbs.  We knew he'd be big when we got him, but that didn't matter to us.  We were looking for a good companion for Sylphide.

His mom is a 9 1lb malt, and his dad a 5 pounder...although he has an AKC pedigree and many Malt qualities (including a silky coat), there is something suspiciously Westie like about his face and body stance.  I think there's a West Highland Terrier ancestor there somewhere...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67483
[/QUOTE]

OMG!! LOL. he could eat lucy for breakfast!!
he sounds like a wonderful pet. it's funny that he's already larger than both his parents.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts