Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on in a while but I need some information, if anyone has any to give.

I have a six month old female Maltese. Spayed, up-to-date on shots, all-natural food, mainly indoor and never around other dogs. Today, I came home and she had foul foul smelling vomit in her crate. Maybe four different spots, although some of it may have gotten spread out a bit. It looked almost like undigested food but was much lighter than her food and had a terrible smell. Like feces but way worse... (however, I know she does not eat feces!) She seems to have no other symptoms. She still has energy and wants attention. She hasn't ate since but that's not unusual. She drank some water and kept it down.

I don't know what it could be or what I should do or if I should let her around her sister (same age). Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i hope ur fluff feels better . maybe she ate something different , or got into something without u knowing ?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
being so young and if your gut is telling you this is very odd for her then I would have her checked out by the vet.

Do you think it was urine smelling?

did you have blood work done prior to spay?

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
My suggestion is to talk to vet for sure. Up to date on shots? My experience from working at vet hospital is that a dog can have 2 even 3 puppy shots and still not be protected against parvo which has the most disgusting smell to it. I do not want to alarm you but the vet can explain it best. Most puppies start getting their protection against parvo after 2 shots but there are a small percentage of dogs that the protection won't be effective unless the shots are done at 16 weeks old and older. When I worked at the vet hospital we had a lab get parvo at 6 months old and this dog had had 3 puppy shots done by the breeder. The sooner parvo is treated the better chances of survival. I hope this is not what is going on with your girl, I encourage you to call your vet.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
My suggestion is to talk to vet for sure. Up to date on shots? My experience from working at vet hospital is that a dog can have 2 even 3 puppy shots and still not be protected against parvo which has the most disgusting smell to it. I do not want to alarm you but the vet can explain it best. Most puppies start getting their protection against parvo after 2 shots but there are a small percentage of dogs that the protection won't be effective unless the shots are done at 16 weeks old and older. When I worked at the vet hospital we had a lab get parvo at 6 months old and this dog had had 3 puppy shots done by the breeder. The sooner parvo is treated the better chances of survival. I hope this is not what is going on with your girl, I encourage you to call your vet.
Thanks for this post as I had no idea. My fluff is 1 yr old. Is Sammie at risk still? Sorry I was not clear on this.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,979 Posts
How is puppy today?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Haven't been on in a while but I need some information, if anyone has any to give.

I have a six month old female Maltese. Spayed, up-to-date on shots, all-natural food, mainly indoor and never around other dogs. Today, I came home and she had foul foul smelling vomit in her crate. Maybe four different spots, although some of it may have gotten spread out a bit. It looked almost like undigested food but was much lighter than her food and had a terrible smell. Like feces but way worse... (however, I know she does not eat feces!) She seems to have no other symptoms. She still has energy and wants attention. She hasn't ate since but that's not unusual. She drank some water and kept it down.

I don't know what it could be or what I should do or if I should let her around her sister (same age). Thoughts?
Any chance she ate a toy, anything off of the floor, pieces of rawhide? Did you change her food? Give her new treats, pieces of your dinner? Anything at all, ingested that isn't "normal"?

If you haven't taken her to the vet and she is still vomiting, call them today.

I hope she is feeling better.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Nice to see you again Rebecca! I am so sorry to hear that one of your babies is sick. :( I don't have any advice other than, I would take up her food for awhile and not let her eat (to settle her stomach)...and if she vomits again, to take her to the vet.

Let us know!!! How is your other princess and your wife doing?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
this is true as tech told me they see the most parvo cases in pups and get about one a month due to people taking their pups out before the last shot thinking they are protected and they are not protected fully until the last shot. I think she said most cases of parvo are between 12-16 weeks.

there is a very foul odor and people describe it as an odor you never forget. I thought it was more of a blood odor someone said though.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Thanks for this post as I had no idea. My fluff is 1 yr old. Is Sammie at risk still? Sorry I was not clear on this.
no but did you do one year booster for parvo distemper? Many feel that one year insures the immunity. Many titer after that one year booster as they believe the dog is protected for life after that. I personally titer myself and have since mine were 1.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Just go to the Vet pronto! Puppies dehydrate in the lick of an eye and can become hypotensive. That can kill a puppy alone. There are any number of reasons she could be vomiting. But delaying proper hydration can be lethal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is much better today, thanks. It was just odd because she had no other symptoms. She was still the best temperament and bouncing around and playful. She drank water and ate a bit and kept it down just fine. I made her a nice confined area in the kitchen to sleep in for the night and even though she was "out" she had no accidents and no more vomit, either. And she's completely fine today.

I'm thinking she must have got in to something although I have no idea what it could have been. They've been on the same food their entire lives, plus we only give them a few carefully selected treats. They never ever eat people food... never have so they never even beg for it. We are potty training/crate training them so they are either in their crates or in a confined section of the kitchen or out in the yard with us.

So yes, she is fine and her sister is fine. Wonderful, actually. They are getting big all of a sudden. My wife and I were just saying that they must have hit a growth spurt at the beginning of the month or something because they are outgrowing their clothes like crazy!! And yes, my wife is great, too. :) Thanks for asking.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
no but did you do one year booster for parvo distemper? Many feel that one year insures the immunity. Many titer after that one year booster as they believe the dog is protected for life after that. I personally titer myself and have since mine were 1.
He is just 1 so he sill get it soon. Thanks dee. Hope Dex doing ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts