Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a lump on my 5 1/2 month-old puppy after I took him for a rabies vaccination. Is that possible? It's been there for almost 3 weeks. I thought it'll go away after a while. But now, I'm really worried. I took him to the vet on Saturday. But th vet doesn't know what it is and told me to wait for another month to see if the lump will disappear.

If any of your puppies have the same experience, please share with me. I'm so worried I can't sleep on Friday, before I took my pup to the vet!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hi

chester also has a lump i think it eventully went away. Our vet told use they may develop a bump. So we did ot worry about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Chelsey@Jun 13 2005, 01:49 PM
Hi

chester also has a lump i think it eventully went away.  Our vet told use they may develop a bump.  So we did ot worry about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72028
[/QUOTE]

Do you remember how long did it take? I don't think the bump hurts, he doesn't seem to feel it when I try to feel it and did some investigation on it.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Massimo had a lump too...the vet said it would go away in about 6 to 8 weeks... I'm not exactly sure how long it took though....

-c

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@Jun 13 2005, 06:51 AM
Massimo had a lump too...the vet said it would go away in about 6 to 8 weeks... I'm not exactly sure how long it took though.... 

-c
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72034
[/QUOTE]

Same here, Indy had one and it was a little over a month for it to completely go away. He only got one from his rabies shot not the others and the VET said it does happen sometimes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yep Summer has one too got it right after her rabies shot. and still has it my new vet looked at it an said it sometimes happens when they give vacs. I thought it would go away but it hasn't yet. and she's 6 mos. it was right behing her shoulder but its moved down as she's growns my new vet. said it's like calcum or scare tissue that builds up he could take it out if it bothered me ( same time he did the hernia) but it doesn't hurt her so i said no. its about the size of your thumb nail and hard you can kinda of move it around its like a knot. I think I heard somewhere that when they give the vac. they like stick it in wrong or something like if you get blood drawn and the nurse misses the vain

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is very common for a local reaction to occur with the rabies vaccine forming a lump. It usually takes about 6 weeks to go away. If the lump changes, enlarges, or starts bothering the dog another vet visit is in order.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Jac+Jun 13 2005, 02:28 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Chelsey
@Jun 13 2005, 01:49 PM
Hi

chester also has a lump i think it eventully went away.  Our vet told use they may develop a bump.  So we did ot worry about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72028
Do you remember how long did it take? I don't think the bump hurts, he doesn't seem to feel it when I try to feel it and did some investigation on it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72029
[/B][/QUOTE]

I honestly don't rember how long it took to go away, because the vet put my mind at rest. If they tell me stuff before hand, I know what to look for and what not to panic about. I guess they know me... I ask lots of questions and will call back right away if something is not right. So they give me all the information while i'm there most of the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your assuring messages. I'm sure Angel will do fine. I'm glad I found this site full of Maltese lovers. May God continues to bless more people with these wonderful angels.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
or your baby could have a lump from the rabie shot for close to 1year like kodie. It seems everytime I tell people that they dont believe me... but let me tell you... it took FOREVER for the lump to go away.
Maybe Kodie is just weird.
He is due for a rabie shot now... as you prob can tell... i'm scared to give it to him...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 14 2005, 05:50 AM
or your baby could have a lump from the rabie shot for close to 1year like kodie.  It seems everytime I tell people that they dont believe me... but let me tell you... it took FOREVER for the lump to go away.
  Maybe Kodie is just weird. 
  He is due for a rabie shot now... as you prob can tell... i'm scared to give it to him...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72432
[/QUOTE]
omg Summer's is still on her back , seems like its been there for 1 to 2 mos. a year thats so long .an yes I will be nervous too next time

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lump on Angel's back is gone. The vet took some cells from the lump for some test 1 week ago. And she said not to worry about it. YEAH!

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">Peaches had a lump on her back as well
but it went away in a couple of days
</span>

·
Registered
23 Posts
almost a year and still counting...it kinda went away but i can still feel some of it. lola use to scratch at it so it turned into a scab... bad situation.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Another Maltese owner told me that the Rabies shot isn't adjusted for the size of the dog, could this be true? If it is I may decide not to have Bijou get one when he has his Neutering next month. I'm not really sure why a Maltese needs one anyway, its not like I would let him outside alone, even with a privacy fence.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jul 21 2005, 03:57 PM
Another Maltese owner told me that the Rabies shot isn't adjusted for the size of the dog, could this be true?  If it is I may decide not to have Bijou get one when he has his Neutering next month.  I'm not really sure why a Maltese needs one anyway, its not like I would let him outside alone, even with a privacy fence.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83407
[/QUOTE]
All i have to say is I said some of the same things before and people didnt like my opinion...
Everyone tells me that a rabie shot is the same no matter what size the dog is... it doesnt matter.... i'm not a doctor but i dunno about this fact... it seems to be powerful! When kodie got his for the first time... he was like a crazy man! He NEVER acted that way before for a vaccine. It hurt him A LOT... and then his lump that he had for about 1yr...
I dunno.. its a touchy subject with people... vaccines. People are going to warn you that a mouse could get into your house and bite your little one and give him rabies. (I'm not trying to offend anyone... i just think vaccines are a touchy subject..)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts