Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I already have beat myself up and know I was a terribly negligent Mommy. We put our tree up last night. Husband put water with treated preservative in the base. I knew he had; I thought I was watching Belle like a hawk. No free roaming, etc. Well I opened my bedroom door to get a blanket and she got out without me noticing. I looked in the room - no Belle. I dashed to Living Room and there was Belle sitting at the base of the tree with a wet face. Don't know for sure if it was the tree water or the GS's water but assuming the worst rushed her to the vet. They induced vomiting. She was supposed to be able to start sipping water a little at a time 2 hrs ago. She has taken maybe 5 little licks. Should I be forcing liquid into her with a syringe. Poor thing, I know her tummy is upset and she doesn't have any idea what has happened to her, she just knows she feels miserable and is hungry but not thirsty. Anyone online that knows if I should force liquids or wait until morning since she took a few tiny sips. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
aww poor girl! she will drink on her own when she is ready..her tummy is prob still upset from having to vomit. give her a big hug and kiss from me and park!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lady M. I was hoping to get a reply from you. I will rest easier now and Belle and I will cuddle all night knowing tomorrow things will be a little bit better. I wasn't sure if I should force her.
To both you and Parker.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
np..glad u took her in and got her treated ASAP. just dont let that be her first drink in the AM hehe.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Poor little angel baby. She'll get thirsty and drink soon. Just don't let her drink a bunch all at one time. No need to have it come right back. Put a little ice in her bowl or hold some in your fingers and let her lick it. Maybe put just a tiny touch of sugar in some water. Hope she feels better soon.

Samsonsmom

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Whenever we had a pup in the house and we had a real tree.. I always covered the "water-base" of the tree with plastic wrap to prevent them from drinking the tree water. I truthfully hadn't even given it a thought till a friend told me to do that.
Sorry your little one had to go thru the vet visit..but better safe than sorry! You're a good Mom!!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Oh poor Belle, I'm so sorry to hear of her little mishap. I hope she is feeling better this morning. Give her a hug from me and Sassy.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. The water is not treated water anymore for the tree. I am also putting the plastic wrap. I wouldn't have thought of that one. Belle is still not feeling good. She will take a couple of licks from an ice cube but only if I hold it in my hand. Otherwise, she is curled up in a fetal position in her little bed. She slept so close to me all night I couldn't sleep but that's ok. She got some rest. Hopefully she will start feeling better soon. She needs a bath after the vet yesterday with all the induced vomiting. I'm hoping to do that today when she perks up a little. That's not a real priority other than she makes a rather smelly bed partner.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spoke with Vet's Tech. If Belle isn't drinking small amount on her own by this afternoon she will go in and receive fluids. I feel so guilty and bad that she has to go thru this.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your thoughts and well wishes. Belle is back to normal almost. She is starting to drink, eat small amounts and wants to play.
She and I will be attached like an umbiilcal cord & newborn baby for awhile. No more free roaming w/o me being there even with precautions taken.
for your thoughts and well wishes.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Gosh Jackie, I don't know how I missed this thread. So sorry to hear that Belle (and you) have had so much trouble. I was real happy to get to the end of the thread and see that she is getting back to normal. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I am so happy that your little one is feeling better........They just don't realize the things that they can get into and what it does to themselves and us!!

My son is 23 years old and this is like having a baby again!! But worth every second of it!

Marie & Pacino

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
So sorry I missed this...but so happy that Bella is doing so much better. Your posting did give all of those with live trees a heads up though so maybe you helped more people than you will ever know.

Give Bella a hug and kiss from Teddy and I

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I too am so sorry I missed this thread and am very glad Belle is doing better
Indy sends nose licks and hugs to Belle
You have had a rough couple of days, I am so glad all turned out well

1 - 20 of 22 Posts