Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this b/c it is commonly asked if a pet is in pain. or people will say their animal isnt in pain b.c it doesnt cry. most people expect a pet to cry out when they are in pain, but most of the time that is the very last thing a pet will do when they hurt. animals try to hide their pain so it takes a little more observation to know when are pets need pain relief.

http://www.ivapm.org/site/view/121680_Dogs.pml

some signs of pain:
Posture
  • Hunched back
  • Guarding (protecting) the painful area
  • "Praying" position (front legs and head on floor, hindquarters in the air)
  • Sitting or laying abnormally
  • Attempting to rest in an abnormal position
  • Head hanging down *
Movement
  • Stiff
  • Bearing no or partial weight on affected limb
  • Any degree of limp
  • Thrashing Restless *
  • Trembling or shaking *
  • Weak tail wag or low carriage of tail *
  • Limited or no movement when awake *
  • Slow to rise *
Vocalization
  • Screaming
  • Whining
  • Crying
  • Barking or growling *
  • Lack of vocalization (no greeting bark or noise) *
Behavior
  • Agitated *
  • Poor or no grooming *
  • Decreased or absent appetite *
  • Dull *
  • Inappropriate urination or defecation, or not moving away from it *
  • Acts out of character (gentle dogs may bite or become aggressive) *
  • Licking wound or surgical site *
  • panting
another list that may have some repeats:
Elevated heart of respiratory rate

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fudge, my long-coated Chihuahua, who has since passed away and will always have my heart, would stand stock-still...as if she were a statue when she was in pain. I was wondering why she was doing this, so I asked my veterinarian. They certainly have varying behaviors for pain. You can't always depend on a squeak or a cry.

Gail

·
Registered
389 Posts
I thought the "praying" position was play bow and meant happy and ready to play. Otherwise, great list and makes me worried about my older dog who does almost all of these:(

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Jamie, Rocky is shaky sometimes, like he's vibrating inside. He also has a slight smell from his ear. I am taking him to the Vet this afternoon. I was wondering if the shaking could be from the ear. He is eating normally, playing normally, don't see any of the other signs. Not scratching the ear either.

I am posting this b/c it is commonly asked if a pet is in pain. or people will say their animal isnt in pain b.c it doesnt cry. most people expect a pet to cry out when they are in pain, but most of the time that is the very last thing a pet will do when they hurt. animals try to hide their pain so it takes a little more observation to know when are pets need pain relief.

http://www.ivapm.org/site/view/121680_Dogs.pml

some signs of pain:

Posture
  • Hunched back
  • Guarding (protecting) the painful area
  • "Praying" position (front legs and head on floor, hindquarters in the air)
  • Sitting or laying abnormally
  • Attempting to rest in an abnormal position
  • Head hanging down *
Movement
  • Stiff
  • Bearing no or partial weight on affected limb
  • Any degree of limp
  • Thrashing Restless *
  • Trembling or shaking *
  • Weak tail wag or low carriage of tail *
  • Limited or no movement when awake *
  • Slow to rise *
Vocalization
  • Screaming
  • Whining
  • Crying
  • Barking or growling *
  • Lack of vocalization (no greeting bark or noise) *
Behavior
  • Agitated *
  • Poor or no grooming *
  • Decreased or absent appetite *
  • Dull *
  • Inappropriate urination or defecation, or not moving away from it *
  • Acts out of character (gentle dogs may bite or become aggressive) *
  • Licking wound or surgical site *
  • panting
another list that may have some repeats:
Elevated heart of respiratory rate

·
Registered
77 Posts
My boxer cross was a resque dog, I had him for 2 months before he had to go to doggy heaven due to major health issues.

My family and I just thought he was an extremelly placid dog, but reading over these 'signs of pain' it is now so obvious that he had been in pain since before we got him.

Miss him every day but am so glad he isnt suffering any more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm so glad to find this postWe had to put our 6 yr old Jack down Monday night after weeks of trying to treat a bacterial infection and vasculitis, which the vets were never able to find the source of. I am devastated but after seeing these signs of pain, which he had many of them, I'm at peace knowing we did the right thing for him. It's still has my heart broke in pieces though.:crying 2:

·
Premium Member
24,098 Posts
I'm so glad to find this postWe had to put our 6 yr old Jack down Monday night after weeks of trying to treat a bacterial infection and vasculitis, which the vets were never able to find the source of. I am devastated but after seeing these signs of pain, which he had many of them, I'm at peace knowing we did the right thing for him. It's still has my heart broke in pieces though.:crying 2:
Robin I am so sorry, I believe Jack is running free at Heaven's Rainbow Bridge no more pain precious Jack.
I know how your heart is hurting, I've been there. Hugs to you

My Miss Bow had so many of these signs, I wish I would have known this thread was here.
I hope this old thread helps others, and for others like me who second guessed themselves this will bring peace to our hearts that we did the right thing in helping our babies make the journey to Heaven's Rainbow Bridge

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you Paula. I think the hardest part of this is the "not knowing" what caused this. His primary vet treated him for a couple weeks for Uveitis in his eyes, then referred us to Metropolitan Animal Hospital in Akron, OH, who were fantastic and had him for 3 days. They also diagnosed him with vasculitis and did everything they knew and still couldn't determine the cause of his problems. I'm leaning towards vaccines destroying his immune system but can never prove it. Just so sad...:(

·
Premium Member
24,006 Posts
Thank you Paula. I think the hardest part of this is the "not knowing" what caused this. His primary vet treated him for a couple weeks for Uveitis in his eyes, then referred us to Metropolitan Animal Hospital in Akron, OH, who were fantastic and had him for 3 days. They also diagnosed him with vasculitis and did everything they knew and still couldn't determine the cause of his problems. I'm leaning towards vaccines destroying his immune system but can never prove it. Just so sad...:(
I'm so sorry, Robin. He was a very loved boy I know. :grouphug:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you Susan and yes, he was very loved and a special boy. We're empty nesters and Jack was like our 4th son. I still can't believe he's gone. :'(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts