Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well, in my opinion, it is not nearly enough punishment, but somewhat of a small victory. Now my heart aches for the foster parents, and the dogs.
This is what information I have gathered so far. (from various places-still waiting on the 10:00 news, if I find out anything new there, I will post again)

The judge sentenced her to 10 days in jail.
She is allowed to keep four pets, all of which must be spayed/neutered.
She must serve 1 year supervised probation and 8 years unsupervised.

This is the sad part. All of the animals are to be sold at a public auction on October 16. The funds raised will go to the county shelter for their expenses. I feel for the foster parents that may or may not be able to get their babies. I don't know why they couldn't have just paid an adoption fee and kept their foster kidz! I don't understand it. Is anyone going to insist these furbabies are spayed/nuetered? Who knows that they won't be going into the same hellish like conditions that they came from!? At least going through a rescue organization/humane society of some sort, there is a screening process. This is just going to be whoever makes the highest bid! Unbelievable! I am still in shock over this! There are too many rescue organizations and humane societies in this state that would have gladly helped in placing the ones in homes that were not already with foster parents.

There is part of me that wants to drive down to the auction. It is about 2 hours from me. I am sure it will be packed...with people from all over the country! I wouldn't mind "rescuing" one of these babies, BUT, I would die if I thought I was bidding on one that had been in a foster home, and I was keeping his foster parent from it. AND, who knows the health problems adn vet bills that will come with them? I cannot afford to take that risk, unfortunately. Not at this time. Even if their health report was decent at this time, who knows what might happen in the future? I guess we never know that really, but knowing where these poor things came from really increases the risks, don't you think?

Anyway, my heart is sad. Glad that she will have 10 days to sit in jail-but worried that she will just have quiet time there to be contemplating her next move she will make when her 1 year supervised probation is up. It is hard for me to believe that she will not try to breed again in the next several years.

These poor babies had finally seen some love and affection-and gotten a taste of what life could really be like for them. Now that they are starting to get their trust back and settle into lives as "pets" that are loved and adored, they will AGAIN be shuffled around and passed on to who knows where, who God only knows who! I just pray that the foster parents will find a way to make this work and bid on their own babies. I know they just must be sick with sadness at this point.

I have rambled on enough. I am just in shock and dismay at the auction part! Unbelievable!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The only other thing the news said was that the foster parents must return the dogs by Oct. 13.

That gives them almost a month to come up with a plan. Surely there is SOMETHING they can work out to try and get their dogs back....

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The whole thing is just so sad. I can only hope that all those dogs will go to wonderful homes and live happy lives. -_- And that Siliski rots for what she did to those poor animals.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm disappointed. The judge should have set some sort of price and allowed the foster families to pay a fee. I can understand the need to raise money, but seems really unfair to the wonderful people that have stepped in and helped out. Seems like it would discourage involvement in the future......

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Woops...I guess I was more glad she was banned from breeding and didn't really think about how sad this case really is.

I wonder if there's anything we can do to help prevent the foster parents from having their babies taken away. I'd be crying like you wouldn't believe if I were a foster parent (and I almost did it). I HOPE that they can just pay an adoption fee and that will cover the expenses. I'm so curious that I might call the animal shelter and ask about that. It doesn't make sense. You have to fill out applications to see if you qualify to foster the maltese, but anyone can come to an auction to buy/own them?

Aren't most/all of them spayed and neutered? I thought they did that at the shelter already.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Sep 14 2004, 12:38 AM
Woops...I guess I was more glad she was banned from breeding and didn't really think about how sad this case really is. 

I wonder if there's anything we can do to help prevent the foster parents from having their babies taken away.  I'd be crying like you wouldn't believe if I were a foster parent (and I almost did it).  I HOPE that they can just pay an adoption fee and that will cover the expenses.  I'm so curious that I might call the animal shelter and ask about that.  It doesn't make sense.  You have to fill out applications to see if you qualify to foster the maltese, but anyone can come to an auction to buy/own them?

Aren't most/all of them spayed and neutered?  I thought they did that at the shelter already.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9103
[/QUOTE]

If they already spayed and neutered them, I don't remember reading that. It seems like that would be ALOT of expense...over 200 animals...and not knowing for sure the outcome of the trial. What if she had won and gotten them all back? You may be right about it, I just don't remember reading that. I had thought about calling too, and also writing to that judge. His name is listed somewhere. I know is on The Hollybelle Site. I may try to get on there today on my break. I am SURE the foster parents will be contacting them. Wouldn't hurt for some of us others to speak up in their favor also. I just can't imagine the heartbreeak they must be feeling right now.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R.E. Lee Davies was the judge's name.
The animal shelter is I guess, Williamson County, as well as the court house.
I may try to get some numbers and addresses today.
Will get back toyou.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
994 Posts
good she will get jail time
the only thing i think is wrong is the foster parents should be able to keep the dog they have had these babies forever i wish i could go down there and get another one so i can give them love and a good home but i cant get down there so the ones that go i hope are all nice people

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is just nuts! Williamson County is just so wrong-headed about animal abuse....these babies have been fostered out to properly-vetted homes. Why change that? It is STILL about the money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Honest to Pete, it seems they are STILL abusing those furbabies. An Auction!!! To the highest bidder? How will they have any idea if these sweeties are going to another puppymill, to an abusive home or to a good, loving home?

I'm pretty proud of the way Texas handles these kinds of cases. They recently swooped in on a puppymill near Dallas and within a couple of weeks the dogs were being adopted out by the shelter. We wanted to execute the puppy mill's owner but we're too soft for that:p

Somehow I don't think Williamson County gives a fat rat's ass about our opinion but I think they should still get it. As soon as I calm down, they're getting mine.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
That is just wrong! I am glad she got jail time but only 10 days?! I can't believe they are going to auction off the dogs. Why can't they just have they adopted out? There is no way to screen the buyers if there is an auction.

J

·
0 Posts
I feel so bad for those foster parents. I just hope they can all come up with the money to bid and win so they can keep their dogs. If I had the money I would buy them all and give them to their foster parents - wishful thinking. If anyone finds out anything please post it here. I will gladly donated $ to help the foster parents. These people have paid hundreds of dollars on vet bills, grooming, food and any other thing these beautiful dogs have needed. Not to mention all the time and love that they have had to have given to those dogs. If any of the foster parents are on this site please let us know how we can help you!

Everyone - go home tonight after work and give your baby or babies hugs and kisses. I am so thankful that my Lacey is with me, as I am sure all of you are thankful for your baby - babies.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i hope she goes to one of those bad jails where she needs a girlfriend to protect her.
is that mean?? siliski really makes me mad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts