Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I had just browsed through one of the local mag and saw a picture of a Havanese (little cutie from Cuba). I think that they looks a lot like our furkids, the maltese. Any odds that they are from the same ancestor?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Maltese are from the Mediterranean Region, but yes they do look like them with one MAJOR exception...They are HUGE compared to our little fur babies.

G

·
0 Posts
I guess they do look a little like the maltese... however- our pups are cuter.. haha

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ok, so I am a little into research

The Havanese in the United States today are direct descendants from one of the Bichon groups originating in the Mediterranean area. There are several distinct groups of Bichon, including the Bichon Maltiase (Maltese), the Bichon Bolognese (Bolognese), the Bichon Havanais (Havanese), the Lowchen, the Coton de Tulear, and and the Bichon Teneriffe (Bichon Frise).

Some authorities differ as to the origin of this small breed. Fiorenzo Fiorone, when writing the book 308 Recognized Breeds, states that the Havanese is a descendant of the Italian Bolognese, which were taken by the Italians to Argentina, and there crossed with a small South American Poodle, creating a new member of the Bichon family. The hypothesis advanced by Dechambre is different. He believes the Havanese is descended from the Maltese, brought to the West Indies by the Spaniards, and were at that time called "The Havana Silk Dog".

Now if that is not enough try this very informative site --- with pictures:

Havanese History

Judi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts