Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was cuddled up in bed and suddenly started doing that noisy heaving that dogs do before they puke. Managed to get him to a clear space on the floor in time. The puke was yellow, so at first, I thought it was just bile. Then I noticed a small green piece. It was the size of a deflated pea and for awhile, I couldn't figure out what it could be. Then I realized it must be a piece of a greenie as he hasn't eaten anything else green in a while. This is Monday morning. He had the greenie Saturday night. Was a piece really hanging around in his stomach that long? I mean, is that normal, or is this something I should be alarmed over?

I have to be at work before the vet opens. Is this something for which a vet visit is needed? I could take him to work, and then at the time when the vet opens, request to dash down there.

Normally, if he'd puke yellow bile, I'd just ignore it...but because of the little piece of greenie and the stories I've heard in the past....

oh, wait, it's not a greenie...it's the nylabone version of a greenie.

Anyway, I tried to get him to eat in case it is just a case of an empty hungry stomach, but he didn't want to eat. I gave him a baby carrot...one of his favorite treats. He crunched down into eagerly, ate the very tip, and then left the rest of it lying there.

How panicked should I be over this?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm...well, he's not acting stressed out. He just came over begging to lie in my lap and when I had the audacity to pet him, he left in a huff, like usual. And right now he is sulking. Guess maybe he's all right?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i wouldnt freak out too much...if he only pukes the one time.....now if he gets to a point to where he cant hold ne thing, then i would worry

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that was my worry...that he'd get like that and I'd be at work and not know or be able to help. I have to be at work in an hour, so I was really worried. But, he's eating food now. Plus, Little C picked up his carrot, walked over to him, and threw it at his feet. He ate it. :D Smart Little C! :D Anyway, he's eating just fine and seems as chipper as usual, so I'm no longer worried. *whew* I think my heart just got its workout for the day!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am so pleased Sir N is feeling better now

Dogs often throw up something in their tummy that they can't digest, it's their way of ridding themselves of foreign matter. Scooby ate the red beak off a rubber duckie he had once and for a day I was looking for it. Later that day he went out to go potty and he puked, and sure enough there was that red beak all in one piece. Apart from that he wasn't sick again nor did he act like he wasn't well so I think he knew it wasn't going through so he got rid of it as best he could.

Perhaps the same thing happened with Sir N, he just fixed his own little problem.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we just had two normal poos during our walk today, so crisis is officially over. :D Guess this was just another typical mommy overreaction.
(I can say that now that's over.) :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Glad all is well...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Glad to hear all is well. Rex pukes yellow clear liquid once in awhile, after he goes on a licking himself spree. He gets the same kind of heaving thing so I can get him to a safe place in time. He does it like once every few weeks.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm glad all is well. Maybe he'd like some durable non-edible chews? We just got a brontosaurus shaped one from Nylabone and it's great. Valletta isn't a really strong chewer, but she went through the flexible on like nothing. So since she loved the nubbies all over this thing, I ordered her the durable one. I had to start it a bit for her, but now she loves to chew on it all the time. She can't break a piece off because it's too hard...it's more like she scrapes it against her teeth and gums while she tries to chew.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.