Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few new pictures of Sisse, I uploaded them into the Gallery and changed my Avatar.....she has not eaten well today and I am a bit worried. She's playing and drinking, but she seems to have lost her appetite...I gave her some NutriCal just to be on the safe side. We've been quiet, no bath or messing around with brushing....pottying ok. Anything else I should be looking for please??

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 12 2005, 10:41 PM
Just a few new pictures of Sisse, I uploaded them into the Gallery and changed my Avatar.....she has not eaten well today and I am a bit worried.  She's playing and drinking, but she seems to have lost her appetite...I gave her some NutriCal just to be on the safe side.  We've been quiet, no bath or messing around with brushing....pottying ok.  Anything else I should be looking for please??

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35086
[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel.... when they are so young.... every "little" thing is worrisome... I'm the same way!! Try this: Put her in your lap and put some kibble in your hand and offer it to her.... see if she'll eat it then. If the kibble is large, offer her one piece at a time. What food do you feed her?

If the kibble is too large and too hard for her, you may need to moisten it.

My first Maltese, Rosebud, ate just about all her meals from my hand for quite a while.. wouldn't eat on her own at all.... I fed Catcher this way, too, on those occasions when I saw that he hadn't eaten...

EDIT: I just now took a look at your Gallery photos... she is absolutely adorable!!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
her pics are adorable..i like the piano one :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
I love Sisse's new pictures. They are adorable. She looks just like Izzy, they are about the same age, aren't they? IzzyBella is 10 weeks and weighs 1.5 pounds. She gained One ounce the first week home. I too was worried aout Izzy's lack of food interest. She seems to be getting over it. I put her breakfast (wet kibble with a pinch of NutriCal stirred in. What she doesn't eat before wandering away from her dish, I remove and toss out. Same with her other two meals. She has dry kibble 24/7. She seems to be learning that if she doesn't eat it NOW, she's going to lose it later and that seems to have picked up her eating habits.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Feb 13 2005, 01:03 AM
I love Sisse's new pictures.  They are adorable.  She looks just like Izzy, they are about the same age, aren't they?  IzzyBella is 10 weeks and weighs 1.5 pounds.  She gained One ounce the first week home.  I too was worried aout Izzy's lack of food interest.  She seems to be getting over it.  I put her breakfast (wet kibble with a pinch of NutriCal stirred in.  What she doesn't eat before wandering away from her dish, I remove and toss out.  Same with her other two meals.  She has dry kibble 24/7.  She seems to be learning that if she doesn't eat it NOW, she's going to lose it later and that seems to have picked up her eating habits.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35098
[/QUOTE]

Hi, just a couple thoughts that may help.... If it were me, I would not give the Nutri-Cal unless she is not eating. The first ingredient is corn syrup so she will get used to very sweet meals. The Nutri-Cal is very handy if your baby won't eat or has a stomach upset and can't eat, etc. Then this can be a life saver (literally).

But if she is eating, then I don't see a need for Nutri-Cal. Also, at 10 weeks you are doing the right thing for sure by leaving food out 24/7. She will learn an eating schedule when she is older. Here is the info Catcher's breeder sent me about feeding, which I followed.... Hope this helps.....

"We do not recommend putting young Maltese puppies on a feeding schedule. A feeding schedule of no less than three meals a day can be implemented when the puppy has finished growing...usually at about 6 to 9 months of age. When Maltese puppies are in their rapid growth stage, up to 6 months, we suggest allowing free access to food and water at all times.

"He/she will be more likely to eat when things are calm and quite. It is a good idea to offer several pieces of kibble by hand often for the first few days to encourage frequent meals. If he/she seems disinterested in the kibble, try moistening it with just a tiny bit of water. This will often stimulate their appetite. It is also a very good idea to have some canned puppy food on hand to encourage meals if the appetite is off from traveling or a digestive upset. The dry puppy kibble should remain their main source of nutrition and these yummy tempting things be used only as an occassional addition.

"It is very important that young Maltese puppies eat frequently to avoid low blood sugar/hypoglycemia. They are very much like toddlers at this age and can sometimes be so busy and having so much fun that they will forget to eat."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 12 2005, 10:41 PM
Just a few new pictures of Sisse, I uploaded them into the Gallery and changed my Avatar.....she has not eaten well today and I am a bit worried.  She's playing and drinking, but she seems to have lost her appetite...I gave her some NutriCal just to be on the safe side.  We've been quiet, no bath or messing around with brushing....pottying ok.  Anything else I should be looking for please??

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35086
[/QUOTE]
Something my breeder told me to try when Zoe' wouldn't eat was to boil a egg, put warm water in the kibble let it sit to soften, drain the kibble and mix the two or substitute the egg for cottage cheese, the next feeding put the kibble out again. She also told me to give nutacal 2x a day for 3 days just a little if were afraid she wasn't getting enough, morning and evening. Zoe did very well with this by the second day she was eating her kibble and has been doing well since. But every breeder is different and uses different techniques, I'm sure this is one of many.
This one worked for me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks for the advice. That's why I come to this board every single day. I want to do what is the absolute best for my maltese Izzy. We have noticed that Izzy used to take more time trying to chew the dry kibble but now she chomps it like a pro. I will start to drop back on the Nutri cal, she is probably getting about 1/3 inch of it a day, but you're right, I don't want her to develop a sweet tooth and hold out for that. These little buggers aren't dumb, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sisse is such a cutie!

How old is she? Sometimes, they are able to go for a day or so without eating. I forgot the reasoning, but it's normal. But try everyone's suggestion if you want to try to get her to eat. Does she even eat at all? Does she at least nibble at her kibble? (lol)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, today we are back to eating everything in sight!! At 12 weeks I would of thought she would take a while to get going on her food, but she was eating really well the first few days. I wet her kibble down to help her chew it, well, I found out this morning (after I dropped a few hard kibble on the kitchen floor), she evidently does NOT like the kibble wet. I put a dish down of dry and she keeps coming back into the kitchen to steal a few more off her plate.!! Go figure !! So, no more NutriCal (I never thought about the sweet tooth thing) and dry kibble only. She actually ate a piece of cooked carrot last night that found it's way to the floor!! I about freaked out trying to remember if it was a NO-NO vegetable and then remembered it was not. After reading so much and following everything on the boards here I thought I had a good handle on her!! NOT......it's really different when they are in your lap and not eating and you are worried sick!! I am sure you ALL have been down this road before. Thanks for all the great advice. We seem to be getting along better today !! I am luck in the respect that Joe is retired and is home with her all day, I still work, but at least I don't have to worry about her during the day, basically because he is worse than I am!! Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
She's adorable!!!! If you have trouble getting her to eat, try fresh boiled chicken breast in tiny pieces. That'll do the trick.
The babies digest this well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts