Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OMG, We just had Sisse to the Vet last night for another round of shots and her check-up.....she weighed in at 4.5 lbs...
I could not believe she weighed that much.....Standard ??? NOT !!! She is going to be a "little over standard". LOL
You know what, she is just the healthiest girl, I always grill Joe every night when I get home, "how did she eat today", I guess I won't worry about that one anymore, he is definantly off the hook!! We just love our Vet, she holds Sisse and cuddles her, talks to her, lets her give tons of kisses. She is a great "teacher", talks to us about everything, asks questions about her behavior at home and if we are having any issues.....does NOT BELIEVE IN LEPTO and won't give it....we started talking about spaying yesterday. Wow, she's only a baby!! I am worrying already over something that won't happen for another few months!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am so glad Sissie is healthy! That's the most important thing, that, and the fact you love your vet.

So Sissie's going to be a plus size girl, too? My Lady is 9 pounds and I love her size (except maybe when I carry her for a long period of time!).

I'm glad your vet doesn't give lepto. Mine doesn't either, not just to her Maltese patients, to any dogs unless they are outdoor farm dogs and potnetially exposed to the disease. Too much potential for a serious allergic reaction.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Glad Sisse is healthy and happy.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Mar 4 2005, 12:39 PM

OMG, We just had Sisse to the Vet last night for another round of shots and her check-up.....she weighed in at 4.5 lbs...

I could not believe she weighed that much.....Standard ???  NOT !!!  She is going to be a "little over standard". LOL <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39855
[/QUOTE]

HOw old is she?
If yours is off standard...how about Brink weighing in at 8+?
I like him being a little more "sturdy"
he he....

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm happy to hear about Sisse's great vet appointment. Don't you feel so much better having such faith in your vet? She sounds like a great vet.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So glad that she is healthy. When Lacey went to the vet in December she weighed 10.2 pounds. Vet said she needed to lose some weight. So no more people food for her. Took her to the vet on Friday and she now weighs 7.3 pounds - Lacey turned one year old on Feb 22. Have a good talk with you vet and see what she thinks when your little one is grown. As puppies I think they need their food and their baby fat. My vet told me that the puppy food was also putting some weight on her so we took Lacey off of puppy food when she was 11 months old and gave her adult food. She is fine and she eats the adult food. I have learned that Lacey eats all day long so I put her food out in the morning and let her eat it all day long. I know some people have their little ones on a food schedule but this is what works best for us. Don't worry if your little one weighs more than the standard. I don't worry about it. As long as Lacey is healthy and happy she could weigh 12 pounds + and I would still love her.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Mar 5 2005, 10:40 AM
So glad that she is healthy.  When Lacey went to the vet in December she weighed 10.2 pounds.  Vet said she needed to lose some weight.  So no more people food for her.  Took her to the vet on Friday and she now weighs 7.3 pounds - Lacey turned one year old on Feb 22.  Have a good talk with you vet and see what she thinks when your little one is grown.  As puppies I think they need their food and their baby fat.  My vet told me that the puppy food was also putting some weight on her so we took Lacey off of puppy food when she was 11 months old and gave her adult food.  She is fine and she eats the adult food.  I have learned that Lacey eats all day long so I put her food out in the morning and let her eat it all day long.  I know some people have their little ones on a food schedule but this is what works best for us.  Don't worry if your little one weighs more than the standard.  I don't worry about it.  As long as Lacey is healthy and happy she could weigh 12 pounds + and I would still love her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40178
[/QUOTE]

That is quite a dramatic weight loss!!! Good for her!!!
I wish someone would put me on a schedule and take my bad stuff away so I could lost weight like that! :lol:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was a little concerned when I saw the weight lost on the scale but Lacey has lots of energy. My husband was feeding her lots of people food when I wasn't looking. Lacey was getting wide in the body. I took him to the vet with us so she could explain to him how Lacey should not be getting the people food. He listened to her, but when I would tell him he would just roll his eyes and say that Lacey loved the food. Men!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It's important to have your vet tell you what her ideal weight is so you'll know whether ot not she's fat or just big. My Lady ballooned up to 11&1/2 pounds when I adopted her from all the "good girl" treats I gave to her to try to train her. I am sure that contributed to her diagnosis of diabetes a year &1/2 later. Just like with people, obesity and genetics are the main cause of diabetes.

She now weighs 9 pounds, her ideal weight. I can feel her ribs, but she's not thin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts