Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer sits just fine not for long but she will sit, but as soon as I tell her to stay she goes crazy
I've tried the treats I tell her to sit and make her sit for at least 15 to 20 sec. give her treat ,tell her to sit ,stay and I back up just a little and she follows me all excited wanting more treats.
I can't get her to sit long enough .What am I doing wrong
She knows sit ,wave,down, and starting to come back on command, will fetch her babies and bring them back I know its me just giving the wrong signals..

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had HOPED it wasn't just me!!!
Jack can do sit, shake, down, roll over, come, fetch, let go, yucky, ... etc! but... He just doesn't really get the "STAY"... I did the whole treat, back up, "stay" and back up more... he will stay as long as I keep eye contact with him. But as soon as I turn my back he RUNS FOR ME as if I"m going to leave him forever!! What should I do??

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My trainer had me practice with Lexi in a corner. I was to have Lexi sit in the corner, I was to stand in front of her, and tell her to stay. If she got up I was to take a step towards her. Basically we were reproducing something wolves do in the wild. It worked. Overtime I was able to get farther away from Lexi.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm not sure how old Summer is but this may take a little longer to teach. These are what are often called controll commands. Some dogs need to become more mature to learn and master control commands. Shiner is a very smart dog but always on the go. I kept working on the stay and he just didnt understand why he had to sit still. I gave up for a while and then at about 1 year old I started working on it again and it was no problem. He is a master at all controll commands now.

I would recommend keep trying but you have to understand that control commands can often come with age.

Just MHO

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are 2 criteria you are working on here - time and distance. I usually start with time.

Sit her, stand right there, and pick a new word or hand signal (like wait), and stand calmly for just a few seconds, then use a release word (like okay), and excitedly back away from her so she'll get up. Treat after okay. Once you get the time up to more than a few seconds, treat in the middle calmly and repeat your wait, wait a few seconds then release. Slowly build up the time but vary it. 1 second one time, 5 another, 30, then 10 the next, ect.

Once she's consistent with this, then you work on distance, one step at a time and also varying that with varied time.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advise. Will keep working on it I know it takes time
And She is only 9 mos..

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley will stay as long as I am facing him...if I turn my back, he follows me. I have even got him to stay as I go around the corner, as long as I am still saying "stay" repeatedly...he will stay at the door when I say it soon enough and at the gate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts