Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I just realized that my measurement of Obi's chest was 1/2inch off! Here is the correction:

Dog's Name: Obi
Still growing or full grown: Full grown
Clothes Size: Small (sometimes XS)
Neck: 7.5" to 8"
Length: 10"
Height: 10"
Chest: 12.5"
Weight: 5.5 pounds

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Dog's Name: Leila
Still growing or full grown: Still growing (5 mos)
Clothes Size: S or M (I like a little loose)
Neck: 8"
Length: 10"
Chest: 12 1/4 - 12 1/2"
Weight: 6.4 lbs.

She was so wiggly and I kept getting different measurements, so I went with the largest I got with each one.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
this is very helpful for a newbie. I bought Boo his first little outfit. Daddy's little all star base ball shirt. And of course I bought the wrong size because I had no idea what I was doing. So now I need to exchange it. Now seeing everyone's size charts it gives me a clue on how to measure him and base it against all of yours! Thank you!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi everyone:D I am a newbie lol. It was interesting seeing everyone's sizes and measurements! Makes me wanna wake up my pup to measure her lol all I know is that I got my baby a dress size Small and fits her big>.< She's is 3months and weighs 2.5 lbs, is that a good weight at that age?

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is cool and a fantastic idea!

Name: Toby
Still Growing or Full Grown: Not sure he is 8 mos old (when do they stop growing)
Clothes Size: Small (everything we bought been small)
Neck:9 inches
Length: 21 inches
Chest: 15 inches
Weight: 9 lbs

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Assuming for boys? I bought an xs sweater and a coat or my puppy who's 2 pounds, expected to be about 3-4 tops and it's too big right now. Maybe what you will fit better? Unfortunately, I won't be able to return what I bought--already took off the tags and washed--before I brought him home!

Thanks!

Kim

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Assuming for boys? I bought an xs sweater and a coat or my puppy who's 2 pounds, expected to be about 3-4 tops and it's too big right now. Maybe what you will fit better? Unfortunately, I won't be able to return what I bought--already took off the tags and washed--before I brought him home!

Thanks!

Kim
Whoever told you that a puppy who is already two pounds at nine weeks will only be 3-4 lbs. full grown was not telling you the truth. The general rule is to triple the weight at 8 weeks and add a pound which would put him in the 7 pound range full grown.

A neighbor got a Maltese puppy last Spring who weighed 3 lbs. at 12 weeks. Her breeder aka "greeder" assured her that her puppy would not get over 5 lbs. She won't be a year old until February and is already 8 lbs. She will probably gain another pound before she's finished IMO, maybe more if she fills out after her first birthday as many Maltese do.

I would not buy much for him now or he will outgrow it quickly.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
I was going off an average between his mother and father--mother 6 pounds and father 3.5.
You can't go by average size of dam & sire---the whole pedigree comes into play here!

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I love this thread! Mine is still a puppy of course but I will more than likely have clothes and harnesses that she will outgrow! (I may or may not of gone a bit over board in purchasing things for her) :blush: :innocent:

81 - 95 of 95 Posts