Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try not to be really irritated when I run into someone that remarks on Midis' size, but I really did all I could to get a pup that would be within the 5-7 lb size. Because my last Maltese, Casper, lived to be 14+ years old and he weighed anywhere between 8 and 11 lbs during his lifetime. His weight depended on his hair and his health, plus age. He weighed the least when he was in his prime.

So, I did my homework; found a VERY reputable breeder of show dogs with only champions in their pedigree. And still this baby of mine weighs 9 lbs.

I made a trip to West Tn yesterday to visit my granddaughters. Their mother works (at her convenience) at my mom's daycare. Yesterday I was there and the children and Midis just went NUTS over each other! Midis LOVES llittle kids and they are always mesmerized by him. But then the owner of another Malt had to come and pick up her child and asked "How much does he weigh?? He's a lot bigger than our Maltese."

Well, DUH!??? Does she not know that I KNOW THIS ALREADY? I am so sick of this type of $hit about my little Midis. Isn't under 10 lbs considered a "small, toy dog"? I had him neutered at 4 1/2 mos; who CARES that he is larger than the standard? He is not going to be reproducing at all, ever.

What, in your opinions, are good comebacks to these rude people? I don't want to come off like a bitch, but I would LOVE to make some sort of point; like "Why did you ask that question?" Or "Why do you really CARE what he weighs?" I dont' know what to do but I am pissed off.

I would LOVE some help and advice here.

*hugs*
Cyndi

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Tell her Maltese come in all sizes, from 2 lbs to 10lbs depending on their genetics. No matter how we try to keep the size between 4lbs to 6lbs it's not easy. If you think about it, it is a very narrow goal. I mean there is only 2 to 3lbs variance. You have a very well bred Maltese. He is beautiful.

Tina

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Cyndi, I wouldn't let these people get to you. They are just ignorant and who cares what they think? I find that most people who make these type of comments to me (and my dog is ~7 lbs) are overweight themselves. I have to restrain myself from saying something about their own weight and size, lol. We use to live in southern california, where people are really vain and into tiny dogs. I can't count the number of times people would say...most maltese I have seen are 3-4 lbs!! I just roll my eyes and walk away. I am not kidding!!

Midis is adorable!! That's all that matters.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think that the perfect comeback to any situation is to smile gently and say "Why do you want to know?". That puts the ball in their court and then they need explain why they are asking such a ridiculous question. Just a thought!

Love and Peace

“The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.”

Mark Twain

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I know of Maltese's up tp 12 pds and they are still a Maltese :wacko1:
I am also so sick of people with the stupid weight issue, gimme a break already!!
Not everybody knew at the time when they got their dogs about all this puppymill crap, well I didn't anyway.
Nemo did reach almost 12 but after his patella surgery in Dec 06 he has dropped to 8 and a half pds the pressure isn't good for his legs. To be honest I have seen larger Maltese that are just adorable :wub: and like I said when I get another ( Who knows when :huh: ) it will be at least 6 pds.
Everyone is different so to each his own but people don't realize sometimes with their words they hurt others feelings :( when saying this or that concerning weight. Actually I think people a just have no basic manners , it's sad , but just ignore them and remember you baby is beautiful and that is the truth.. :biggrin:
and by the way a to me any dog under 20lbs is small, but thats just my opinion!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Why are you so defensive? It seems like a natural question to me. I have people ask me how much Scarlett weighs all the time and I don't get offended.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Why are you so defensive? It seems like a natural question to me. I have people ask me how much Scarlett weighs all the time and I don't get offended.[/B]
Who me??? If you are speaking to me, I get defensive cause sometimes well most times, for me anyway it's said in a mean non feeling way. If it is a general question then no I don't get offended, but if it is a nasty comment then yes I do...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Who me??? If you are speaking to me, I get defensive cause sometimes well most times, for me anyway it's said in a mean non feeling way. If it is a general question then no I don't get offended, but if it is a nasty comment then yes I do...
[/QUOTE]

I was speaking to everyone who posted on this thread complaining about people asking how much their dog weighs. I find it silly to get offended over a trivial comment.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I don't feel it's silly if someone is making a nasty comment, how is that silly??
WOuld you like someone making a nasty comment on your weight :shocked: I don't think so :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Cyndi,
The last month or so, I have been learning so much about Maltese by reading these forums and I just want to chime in and say that I think your little Midis is one of the cutest little Malts I've ever seen. I love the picture of him in your signature. You can all but see his sweet personality! I find that sometimes the best answer to a pointless question is "no answer". Just look at them quizzically! If they have any people skills at all, they should catch on that their comment wasn't appreciated.

Hugs to Midis,
Annie

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
My Harry is really tiny and he weighs about 6 pounds. At almost 6 months old, Teddy is much bigger than Harry
and he already weighs about 7 or 8 pounds. Many people say "Isn't he big for a maltese?" about Teddy and I usually respond with something like... "I know... he's so cute isn't he?" and leave it at that. I love both Harry and Teddy and both of their sizes.... they are both perfect to me... and from the pictures I've seen on this forum...
I'd say that all Maltese... regardless of size... are perfect just the way they are.

Debbie

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I find that most people who make these type of comments to me (and my dog is ~7 lbs) are overweight themselves. I have to restrain myself from saying something about their own weight and size, lol.[/B]
Perhaps you could say "Tell us your weight first and let us make a judgment on your genetics"

When my daughter and I have our babies together and see my SIL, she always says Memphis (my grandpuppy) sure is big for a Maltese (he's only a little over 4 pounds!) I aways say, "No, he isn't" and leave it at that.

I chalk it up to ignorance.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I was speaking to everyone who posted on this thread complaining about people asking how much their dog weighs. I find it silly to get offended over a trivial comment.[/B]

I don't think anyone's feelings are silly, including yours. But, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I don't mind being asked how much Bella weighs at all I do however mind the "she's so big" and "mine is so much smaller" comments. Keep in mind she's a healthy six pounds maybe six and a half if she's happy with what I'm feeding her. The rude comments aren't neccessary. You wouldn't walk up to a parent and say something negative about their child so I think it's inappropriate to say that about someone's dog which is most likely like a child to them. I do like the "more to love" comment, I think I'll be using that and a smile from now on.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
First of all, let me say that Midis is gorgeous, no matter what he weighs!

Secondly, I happen to have one of each. I have Cooper who ranges from 8.5-10lbs. And Gracie who is petite at 5-5.5lbs. I will say in all honesty. I was all about getting a 5lb Maltese....and having a little teenie-tiny dog. But to be 110% honest. I actually prefer Cooper's size...lol. Reason being, Gracie seems so fragile, where as Cooper is a bit substantial.....so I dont worry as much with him around kids as I do her.

And yes, people always ask how much they weigh...always. As a matter of fact, I get that w/ Brody too. I think every person that has encountered him has asked his weight. I think its a pretty natural question....try not to get offended, unless they make a rude follow up comment. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
One of the most beautiful Maltese I know is about 8 or 9 pounds of personality plus! She has an amazing coat, black nose and is just breathtaking. My girls are small but when I see Izzy I don't see size at all, I see a beautiful well cared for and loved Maltese. I have another friend who has two brothers that are close to 10 pounds. She has a son so she wanted the larger ones and felt lucky to find Jinx & Kasper. Once again, beautiful Maltese!
A Maltese is a Maltese is a Maltese. Midis is beautiful and I wouldn't let remarks like that bother me. When I have the girls out people ask how much they weigh all the time. I would cringe when someone would say Teacup, now I just correct them and go on.
Give that beautiful Midis a hugs for us.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I just don't see a rational reason to comment on it at all. Just enjoy learning what the other person knows about maltese standards and history. I think you will find it will be a good laugh and a stress reliever lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My LouLou is 3 months and 3 weeks old and weights 6bls. I still love her to death. She gains weight rapidly. At 11 weeks she was 3 bls . I've been having her for about 6 weeks now and she gained the whole 3bls. :wub: The first vet I took
LouLou to, she told me LouLou is not a maltese because of her size and a little bit of lemon on her ears and her shoulders .I was upset and not gone not back there. The vet now i use said LouLou definately is a maltese, just bigger size of maltese. He also said that she will be mature at about 7-8 bls. Sometimes I just curious about other malteses size and weight. Some people asked me how old LouLou is and after I told them her age they said she's big and I don't feel offended at all. I just smiled and said yes she is.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts