Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Caesar is almost a year old and i have about half a bag of his puppy food (Science Diet-the big bites) and thought I would go ahead and buy the adult bag when we were shopping a while ago and then mix it in with his puppy food. Anyway we bought the adult (Science Diet) big bites, not knowing how BIG they are! :D Anyway at first he loved them would pick those out and not even touch the puppy food. Now he doesn't seem to care for the 'big' adult bites as much. The other night he put one in his mouth and spit it out, I am wondering if they are maybe too big. So for the adult food, do you guys use the big bites or the small bites? Thanks :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Dec 7 2004, 10:15 AM
Well Caesar is almost a year old and i have about half a bag of his puppy food (Science Diet-the big bites) and thought I would go ahead and buy the adult bag when we were shopping a while ago and then mix it in with his puppy food.  Anyway we bought the adult (Science Diet) big bites, not knowing how BIG they are! :D   Anyway at first he loved them would pick those out and not even touch the puppy food.  Now he doesn't seem to care for the 'big' adult bites as much.  The other night he put one in his mouth and spit it out, I am wondering if they are maybe too big.  So for the adult food, do you guys use the big bites or the small bites?  Thanks :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20817
[/QUOTE]

I believe Science Diet uses by-products and preservatives that aren't all that safe. I'd go with another brand such as Innova, etc. Their bites are too terribly large. I believe Solid Gold has a new one called, Wee Bites.....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 7 2004, 09:18 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Caesar's Mommie
@Dec 7 2004, 10:15 AM
Well Caesar is almost a year old and i have about half a bag of his puppy food (Science Diet-the big bites) and thought I would go ahead and buy the adult bag when we were shopping a while ago and then mix it in with his puppy food.  Anyway we bought the adult (Science Diet) big bites, not knowing how BIG they are! :D   Anyway at first he loved them would pick those out and not even touch the puppy food.  Now he doesn't seem to care for the 'big' adult bites as much.  The other night he put one in his mouth and spit it out, I am wondering if they are maybe too big.  So for the adult food, do you guys use the big bites or the small bites?  Thanks :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20817
I believe Science Diet uses by products and preservatives that aren't all that safe. I'd go with another brand such as Innova, etc. Their bites are too terribly large. I believe Solid Gold has a new one called, Wee Bites.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20820
[/B][/QUOTE]
Oh wow, thanks. I didnt know that about Science Diet. It what his breeder started him on and we have had really good luck with it for the most part, so didn't try another brand. Can I get any of those at Walmart (I have one of those in town, so if I can I'll go up there tonight) or are they usually sold at the pet stores?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
if it wasnt safe, they couldnt sell it. the food is AFCO tested and food trial tested, which means it is safe, which some of the holistic brands are not, so be careful.

sorry to rent but SCIENCE DIET IS FINE!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 7 2004, 09:23 AM
if it wasnt safe, they couldnt sell it.  the food is AFCO tested and food trial tested, which means it is safe, which some of the holistic brands are not, so be careful.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20823
[/QUOTE]
Okay thank you.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sorry...its my achillies heel...i told my self to stay away from a food post, but i couldnt resist.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 7 2004, 09:27 AM
sorry...its my achillies heel...i told my self to stay away from a food post, but i couldnt resist.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20829
[/QUOTE]
Lol, its okay. I was liking oh no I have been feeding my baby puppy food that has a bunch of additives in it which isn't good for him. Now I dont feel so bad

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
but to answer your question....parker was eating really big bites (t/d) but he would take them all over the house and leave crumbs....he kinda did the same w/ regular science diet bites and small bites. but he did eat it. i finally got fed up w/ all the crumbs, and did something i told myself i would never do. i switched him to can. i figured...im going to be a vet, i can clean his teeth any time i want once i am in practice. so for now i check his teeth all the time.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 7 2004, 10:23 AM
if it wasnt safe, they couldnt sell it.  the food is AFCO tested and food trial tested, which means it is safe, which some of the holistic brands are not, so be careful.

[/QUOTE]

It may be technically safe but who wants to serve their babies food with cow eyes, ears, and gosh who knows what other parts in it. And some of the preservatives that are used aren't the best choice and they use cheap fillers.

IMHO giving our dogs a high quality food is something we should all do. It is usually nutrient dense and the dogs needs less of it so it isn't that much more expensive... and with our little ones... they don't eat that much anyway.....

Look at the human food out there... hydrogenated fats have been associated with all sorts of illnesses and yet it has taken an "army" to finally get the word out and for companies to quit using it in their foods..... Just because something is "approved" doesn't necessarily mean it is the best choice.... Just my two cents!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie+Dec 7 2004, 10:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Dec 7 2004, 09:27 AM
Lol, its okay. I was liking oh no I have been feeding my baby puppy food that has a bunch of additives in it which isn't good for him. Now I dont feel so bad

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20833
[/B][/QUOTE]

yes dont worry...being afco food trial tested is the most important thing about dogs foods....they feed that food to dogs for extended periods of time to make sure it is safe for our pets. it will say on the label that it is afco food trial tested if it is....other wise if it just meets afco standards, then it was just run through a machine to make sure it contains what is needed but might have something eles in it that can harm your dog.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
dogs in the wild eat every part of their prey..its what they eat...i eat byproducts all the time..they taste good. i feed park pigs ears on purpose b/c he loves them

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 7 2004, 09:31 AM-->
@Dec 7 2004, 10:23 AM

It may be technically safe but who wants to serve their babies food with cow eyes, ears, and gosh who knows what other parts in it. And some of the preservatives that are used aren't the best choice and they use cheap fillers.

IMHO giving our dogs a high quality food is something we should all do. It is usually nutrient dense and the dogs needs less of it so it isn't that much more expensive... and with our little ones... they don't eat that much anyway.....

Look at the human food out there... hydrogenated fats have been associated with all sorts of illnesses and yet it has taken an "army" to finally get the word out and for companies to quit using it in their foods..... Just because something is "approved" doesn't necessarily mean it is the best choice.... Just my two cents!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20836
[/B][/QUOTE]

I will look at the other brands you have suggested, where can I find them? If Walmart carries them Ill run up there tonight, otherwise I won't go back to a pet store for awhile.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by LadyMontava+Dec 7 2004, 09:34 AM-->
Originally posted by Caesar's [email protected] 7 2004, 10:29 AM
@Dec 7 2004, 09:27 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20833

[/QUOTE]

yes dont worry...being afco food trial tested is the most important thing about dogs foods....they feed that food to dogs for extended periods of time to make sure it is safe for our pets. it will say on the label that it is afco food trial tested if it is....other wise if it just meets afco standards, then it was just run through a machine to make sure it contains what is needed but might have something eles in it that can harm your dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20837
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh okay, I was just gonna ask you if it said on the bag if it was AFCO tested. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
and im not saying its wrong to switch just make sure it is afco FOOD TRIAL tested, some holistic brands are. just play it safe.

this is all coming from a vet who is a diplomate in animal nutrition...i trust her advice.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 7 2004, 09:39 AM
and im not saying its wrong to switch  just make sure it is afco FOOD TRIAL tested, some holistic brands are.  just play it safe.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20844
[/QUOTE]
Yes I will do that. I will just look at the other ones, cause I am wondering if it is the flavor or hte size he doesnt like. My grandma gives her dog canned food so when we were there a few months ago she gave Caesar some, it was all over his face! He loved it though. :D

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
human drugs they rush through the testing process....keep in mind science diet has been around since 1943. its been through many tests in all those years. but any way i need to stop posting here before i anger anyone and i should be studying for my equine final so i can be a great nonhorse vet. but any ways it will say on the bag if it is food trial tested...just look up afco food trial online. there are two types of statements the one saying "food trial" is the one you want your bag to say.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie+Dec 7 2004, 10:35 AM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 7 2004, 09:31 AM
@Dec 7 2004, 10:23 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20836

[/QUOTE]

I will look at the other brands you have suggested, where can I find them? If Walmart carries them Ill run up there tonight, otherwise I won't go back to a pet store for awhile.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20839
[/B][/QUOTE]

I am not a Wal-Mart fan... only been there twice... but I would not imagine them having Innova, Solid Gold, etc. In my town, I have to get high quality food and treats at a specialty pet supply store. Sometimes PetSmart will have some items. Also, we have an Earth Fare grocery store that carries Innova and the new Paul Newman Organic food.... It has "lovely" ingredients in it!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts