Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AKC states that the weight standard for a Maltese is 7 lbs with within the 4-6 lb range being desired. Are your little ones within standard? I think my baby is around 7 to 7 1/2.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Morgan is 8 lbs. 3 oz. A wee bit over I guess...I have read up to 9 is standard and read up to 5 is standard, I really dunno what is correct. All I know is I like his size and my vet said he shouldn't go over 10 lbs, if he does, it is my fault! lol

A

·
0 Posts
Tiki is 5 pounds 8 ounces. He is 10 months old and the vet said if I feed him properly and give him lots of exercise he wont make it to 6. He is just perfect :>)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson is about 9 #'s, he is a big boy but in perfect health, Maggie is about 4.5 #'s

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jazz is just under 4 lbs. as of her weigh in for her spaying (10 months). She is the smallest Maltese we've had. The largest we had was 13 lb. guy named "Rudy". He loved to eat and was a "couch potato".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Below are Shadow's stats... Her father was 6.5 and her mother was 6 - so I'm guessing she should be around the same (or less). Most of what I've read indicates that you take their weight at 12 weeks and double it for their approx. maturity weight.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That worked for us. The vet said told us this only works if you keep the pup active and don't let him/her get overweight
. I have seen some big maltese; I mean "round" not tall

Judi

·
Registered
181 Posts
AKC states that the weight standard for a Maltese is 7 lbs with within the 4-6 lb range being desired. Are your little ones within standard? I think my baby is around 7 to 7 1/2.

This is what I've read also. Colette will be small....probably about 4 1/2 lbs.

Gail

·
Registered
346 Posts
Morgan is up to 9 lbs now. When I got him he was 6 months old and was a little over 6 lbs. I knew nothing about how much he should weigh so I just asked the vet what should I expect for size and he just replied that he shouldnt' weigh more than 10 lbs and if he did, it would be my fault! lol Well, he is perfect to me. He is considered big for a Matlese, but I like him just the size he is. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did a lot of reading B4 i brought Bushi home. I desired a Tiny Toy Maltese not weighing over 6pounds. Ive seen people buy a puppy thinking it would stay small and grow way over Standard, for the same $price$ for a Tiny. So it's so important to buy the "Book" b4 the "Dog".

Bushi was 2lbs at 12wks. He's now 4+lbs at 9months.
I hear Tiny's 2pounders $cost$ so much, but are not healthy long living dogs. Any Comments on the Tiny 2pounders???????

Maltese Rules

xoxo

·
Registered
181 Posts
A tiny Maltese 2-pounder at 12 weeks isn't a problem. Colette weighed in at 1.8 lbs. when I got her at 12 weeks. She now weighs 3.8 lbs. at 6 1/2 months. Both the breeder and the vet feel she'll probably end up being about 4 1/2 lbs........give or take. What a person does have to be beware of are the breeders that sell "teacup" dogs. There really is no such thing and to be under a dog's standard for the breed is unhealthy and not normal. This, however, is standard for a Maltese. All you apparantly did was look for parents that were on the smaller side of the Maltese standard. There's nothing wrong with this. I was just looking for a female Maltese.....when I found out she would be petite, I was delighted! A Maltese at 9 pounds is above standard, but healthy! A 2-3 pound adult Maltese is abnormal. My 2 cents.

Gail

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have two Maltese as of two days ago. The older one is just a year. We just fell in love and wanted her to have a buddy. We thought by the 12 week calulation that she would be just over 4 pounds. Now as an adult she is 3.2 and holding. She just stopped growing. This little guy Chester is 13 weeks now and a little more than 3.2. We think he will be between six and seven. Who knows what kind of growth pattern he will have. They all are so different... and so cute!!! :D

G

·
0 Posts
My pup is 9 months & I'm guessing she's about 6 pounds... we haven't gotten her weighed since she was 2 months (3 pounds)- she isn't fat but she isn't thin either- adorable little round body

·
Registered
939 Posts
She probably won't get much bigger. These small dogs stop growing much sooner than larger breeds. No matter the size malts are all adorable

Judi

J

·
0 Posts
My breeder just emailed me and told me that my 4 week old female puppy weighs 1.5 pounds. Does this sound right? I saw both of the parents and neither one of them are over 7 pounds. According to malteseonly website my puppy should not weigh this until she is 8 weeks old. I just need some feedback. I haven't seen the puppy in person yet, just emailed pictures of her and she is beautiful. Both of her parents are just perfect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
jami: I think that sounds a bit big. Mine were like.....I am going off memory here.....(the papers are at my apt in SA).....anyways I think like 1.7lbs at 6 weeks. Winston now weights 5.3lbs consistantly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts