Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... as some of you know... I took kodie to the doctors today. I have also mentioned a few times that kodie seems to be biting and licking his paws/legs... I had the doctor look at him and she says its a skin infection.
My question is... how did he get this??? Has anyone else ever had this happen? I am always soo clean with kodie too... it makes me feel like i didnt take care of him. I am a big hygiene freak with kodie as it is!
I have two different shampoos I need to use to help his skin... I will give him his first bath tomorrow afternoon... (I would have done it tonight but I am still getting over a sinus infection and just had to lay down
)

Well... Kodie's blood work results are not in yet soo.. after that is looked over by his general doc and the internal medicine doc... we are going to decide if or what we might change kodie's diet to... his doc think this might be part of the problem with the skin prob... but with everything... its trial and error.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I don't think you should be blaming yourself for Kodie's skin problem, it could be an allergy he has developed to something either in his food or from the outside environment. Until it actually happens we don't know how unless an allergy test is done to find the cause. If it is food related there are diets that can control it. I am sure your vet will do the tests and work out how you can control the problem, but don't beat yourself up, allergies are not caused by lack of cleanliness and I am the same with Scooby, we are very particular about his hygene and we try to keep him very clean and he now expects nothing less bless his little heart, it he happens to have anything on him that isn't to his liking he will come to me and let me know by turning around and looking at the offending area

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I am sorry to hear about Kodie's skin infection. I sure hope the medicine will clear it up. Hugs and nose licks to Kodie from K & C.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Did the licking and scratching cause the infection or was he licking and scratching thus causing the infection. It makes a difference. Scratching could be dry skin...but breaking the skin while scratching could have led to the infection....this way you know how to address it. Hope that made sence.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When you say he bites and licks his paws does he chew on it and it gets all wet? Balls does that! I thought it was him cleaning his paws or something! He does this at least once a day, but this WHOLE feet gets wet! I know my other two clean themselves... but not to the extent that Balls does... I hope he doesn't have anything... =[

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I gave him a bath today with his medicine shampoos... two different ones... one is for itching... and the other is for his belly... when hes stressed out these little red dots come out... thats the infection she told me. I think the itching shampoo is also for his dry skin... kodie has dry skin on his paws... i think from licking them to death!
His fur is sooo soft and white now after the bath... more than normal. Kodie has been so tired since going to the doctors... guess they took too much blood from him! haha..
The vet didnt tell me what kind of infection it was...
I will ask more when i talk to her with kodie's blood work results. I'm crossin my fingers that this vet will take care of things like I would like... cause I just have no luck finding a good doctor in south jersey!
So far she is wonderful... but we will see.

Just curious but has your baby ever turned really bright pink at the doctors? Kodie's pigment color got really dark.... hes always pink but he was extra pink while being at the docs... the doctor said that when they are nervous that could happen... is that true? She also said that could indicate a skin infection.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
When I am reading about little red dots I am getting worried. I hope the platelet count is included in the blood work. Did you notice any bruising at the place where they took the blood ?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I am reading about little red dots I am getting worried. I hope the platelet count is included in the blood work. Did you notice any bruising at the place where they took the blood ?[/B]
I havent looked why... what are you thinking is wrong with him?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts