Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do. Over the last couple weeks, skittle has been eating her poop. If I catch her, it's ok bec. I can grab it but during the day when I'm at work, she is in her x-pen and eats it. I know bec. since we've had her, she would poop 1-2 times during the day in the pen. Now there isn't anything there. I've also caught her doing it.

I asked a trainer and she told me it's usually bec. the dog isn't getting enough nutrition. I've switched skittle to a good food the duck and potato Natural Balance. I've done it slowly so I can't figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
It's an instinct that goes way back. You might try making her pen a bit smaller so she will not go where she sleeps or else confine her to one room to see if she will still do it. Sometimes they do it out of boredom. I had a vet tell me to sprinkle meat tenderizer on it one time to make it taste bad. I mean, seriously? What could taste worse than poop!?!?! Anyway, she may outgrow it in time or lessen how often she does it.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Lisa, this is NOT a diagnosis but it would be well to have your vet do a blood check for pancreatic insufficiency---just to be sure. Dogs eat strange things when they have that & enzymes can be replaced that would help. It would give you one more thing ruled out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She basically does it all the time. When I'm home I catch it but while at work she doesn't have anyone to take it away.

She's also making some weird choke type coughing sounds sometimes too so maybe I'll take her to the vet. She was just there 2 weeks ago for shots.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Do have it checked out---she's young---can't be too careful.
Ask the vet to do the blood test for pancreatic insufficiency (does she drink lots?).
Let us know what the vet says!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts