Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brinkley has slept with us since the day he came home. He was right at 4 months then. We had a few bed accidents until I got steps for him to get down on his own...but he has been in there with us every night, even though now he sleeps in his "laundry basket bed" that I made him in the closet.
He usually starts next to us, and ends up in there sometime after we fall asleep.

Anywhooo....
For the new pup, I am thinking that I don't want him in/on the bed to begin with...(part of letting Brink know that he is still our lovey
). I am thinking I should move the smaller crate into there and stick it on the other side of the closet. Our closet is VERY small and doesn't have a door, so the pup's crate and Brink's bed would be side by side. That way both could be back there with us, but Brinkley would still have bed priveleges. When the pup is older and a relationship is more established between him and Brink, I can try letting him sleep with us too...

Concerns I have with my plan...

1- I have never had luck with crate training...and we didn't even try with Brinkley. I don't plan to crate the pup in a small crate like that any time except at night...will he learn to hold it? Will he tell me he has to go? My lab just peed on herself. She didn't care.

2-I am a softy and know that it is a strong possibility that the first time the pup whines he will end up in the bed with me.

Suggestion?
Experiences?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Traci, here's my experience when I added Catcher to our family. Kallie was sleeping in bed with me and I continued that. Catcher slept in a small crate. I would wake up in the middle of the night and would take him to his potty pad and then again first thing in the morning. That was our routine for quite a while. From the very beginning, he could hold it for a loooong time. He didn't seem to mind sleeping in the crate while Kallie was in the bed with me. I had his crate positioned where he could see me. He slept in his crate for quite a few months and it was his routine. At some point, I decided it was time for him to get in bed with us but he would naturally head for his crate. It actually took a little while for him to get used to getting in my bed.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I guess it would depend on the pup's personality. Day 1, my pup whined all night in his crate. Day 2, I tried the kitchen with a puppy gate (he could see me from the kitchen, I am in a studio) he whined ALL night. Day 3, he slept at the foot of my bed = very happy. He is also ok sleeping on the floor near me, but not confined.

The result is, we aren't getting potty trained very well. He goes on the pads, but we have accidents all over the apartment.

Also, once Max goes to sleep, usually about 9 pm. He can hold it all night till morning around 7ish. There was only one day he had to wake me up at 6 by licking my face, so I took him to his pad and he had to pee.

Does vineger and water work on neutralizing the urine so they don't smell it?? Some say it works and some say it doesn't. :new_Eyecrazy:

I did read though, if you don't teach them to be confined early, it will be VERY much harder later. They will cry louder and harder.

Hate hearing him wimper, too.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Set a clock, take him out probably twice for a while, then once until he is potty trained. By OUT I'm meaning outside on the lawn. I guess if you are in a place where there is no lawn I guess the pads are the answer. I just can't understand teaching a dog to pee in the house. I've always had a yard. It's inconvinent to get up at night but just part of the drill for babies. Skin or fur, and doesn't last for ever. (No I didn't make the skin kids pee on the lawn!)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by MaxMommy@Nov 8 2005, 11:58 PM
The result is, we aren't getting potty trained very well.  He goes on the pads, but we have accidents all over the apartment. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118166
[/QUOTE]

Maxmommy,

Have you tried the potty training spray that you spray on the pads so it makes the puppy know that is the spot to go? It really worked for us, and that is how we were able to pad train without confinement.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Nov 9 2005, 01:26 AM
Set a clock, take him out probably twice for a while, then once until he is potty trained. By OUT I'm meaning outside on the lawn. I guess if you are in a place where there is no lawn I guess the pads are the answer. I just can't understand teaching a dog to pee in the house. I've always had a yard. It's inconvinent to get up at night but just part of the drill for babies. Skin or fur, and doesn't last for ever. (No I didn't make the skin kids pee on the lawn!) 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118178
[/QUOTE]

Frosty's Mom,

We live in the Northeast, and when we got Sylphide we had a major cold spell and it would have been dangerous to take her outside. Her little tootsies were getting very frozen. That's the primary reason we decided to cross train to pads/outside. We get some cold spells that last for weeks at either extremely low temperatures or extremely high snow, and that makes pad training so much easier, and safer for them. It can certainly be an incovenience, though. I miss the days when we had a large fenced yard in Texas

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by Sylphide and Shrek's Mom+Nov 9 2005, 12:30 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MaxMommy
@Nov 8 2005, 11:58 PM
The result is, we aren't getting potty trained very well.  He goes on the pads, but we have accidents all over the apartment. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118166
Maxmommy,

Have you tried the potty training spray that you spray on the pads so it makes the puppy know that is the spot to go? It really worked for us, and that is how we were able to pad train without confinement.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118180
[/B][/QUOTE]

I do have the liquid immitation pee that I put on the pads, and he does use the pads when I take him there or put the baby gate up in the kitchen. It's when he is playing around the apartment, I guess going to the kitchen is not convenient enough for him....because he won't go in there on his own....except to eat.

I will chalk it up to, he is still a baby at 11 weeks.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I use the crates only at night. Jolie slept in a crate for the first seven years, but now sleeps with us. Sadie was 14 weeks and Sassy was nearly 6 months when we got them. Neither had a problem "holding it" all night. I put Sadie's crate up on a piano bench right by the bed. If she whimpered I just put my finger in there and she was fine. Sassy never made a sound, but she was older. They really like their crates. I was in Jackson last week at my daughter's condo and I left their crate doors open all night (on the floor) and they slept in them and never once tried to get in the bed with me. I really believe that it is all about how you start them out. The thing about the crate is that even if you don't lock them in it, it gives them a special place to go. At our house crates are sacred. Jolie still sleeps in hers during the day and the puppies love having their little den.

PS. Jolie was 8 weeks when we got her (accepted timing for Bichons in those days) and I did have to get up with her in the night for the first 2-3 weeks. I would try not to talk to her when I took her out. I quietly praised her for "going" and then I put her right back in the crate and she soon learned that at night the crate was her place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.