Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get your malts to sleep in on weekends? I'm so tired of Yeager waking me up at 6:30 am on a Saturday and Sunday :Bad day: Of course I still go back to bed afterwards but the getting up part is so difficult :(

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Keep Yeager up really late and playing hard will work! I go through this all the time!

A tired puppy is a good puppy! :wub:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I know what you mean. Rocky keeps getting my dh up every morning between 5:30 and 6:30. :blink: My husband says he goes on his side of the bed to wake him up because he knows now that he can't wake Mommy up!:HistericalSmiley:I don't mind getting up at 6:30 but before that, I'm in la la land! I try to get up on weekends to allow my husband to sleep, but he still hears him and can't go back to sleep once he is up.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Julee, We try to keep Rocky up a little later so he'll sleep in a little bit. Even if we have him up at midnight he still gets up early. I think he slept a little bit better when I was walking him every day faithfully. But now it is still too hot. Even when he goes to day care...he still rises early. He's just an early bird I guess, LOL.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep Yeager up really late and playing hard will work! I go through this all the time!

A tired puppy is a good puppy! :wub:

HUGz! Jules
Ah okay! I will certainly give that a try. It's hard though, he just sleeps all day when I'm not home!

I know what you mean. Rocky keeps getting my dh up every morning between 5:30 and 6:30. :blink: My husband says he goes on his side of the bed to wake him up because he knows now that he can't wake Mommy up!:HistericalSmiley:I don't mind getting up at 6:30 but before that, I'm in la la land! I try to get up on weekends to allow my husband to sleep, but he still hears him and can't go back to sleep once he is up.
That's what Yeager does too..he comes to my bed and whimpers next to my ear! I wish he could sleep until 8:30 instead :huh: By the way I really like your new siggy of Rockie!!

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I know what you mean, best part of the weekend is that I can (or hope I can LOL) sleep a bit more in the AM -- especially since weekends also mean longer nights before actually going to bed!

That's what Yeager does too..he comes to my bed and whimpers next to my ear!
awwh!!! I can just picture him saying: "Mama, wake up, wake up, wake up! pwease mama" :wub::wub::wub::wub:

yup try the "play a lot with him before going to bed" idea :thumbsup: all the best!

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Ah yes, the puppy days....I remember them well! :) Also, in time as Yeager gets a little older, they do tend to sleep in a little longer and get into your routine. Hubby usually gets up early and lets everyone out. Then, they come back to bed, snuggle up and sleep in.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Ah yes, the puppy days....I remember them well! :) Also, in time as Yeager gets a little older, they do tend to sleep in a little longer and get into your routine. Hubby usually gets up early and lets everyone out. Then, they come back to bed, snuggle up and sleep in.

Yep, this is what I was going to say. With time Aolani, just began following my schedule.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Ah okay! I will certainly give that a try. It's hard though, he just sleeps all day when I'm not home!

That's what Yeager does too..he comes to my bed and whimpers next to my ear! I wish he could sleep until 8:30 instead :huh: By the way I really like your new siggy of Rockie!!
Thank you...I can't take credit for it though...Sue (momtoboo) made it for me. I love it.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Oh my goodness, I can relate! Bailey does not let me sleep in any later than 6 am every day! He starts licking/jumping on my face...and then he puts his head on my pillow and stares at me until I wake up. He's so cute, I don't mind much. Plus, he's a nice alarm clock....a lot better than being woken up by an obnoxious BEEP BEEP BEEP. On weekends, I just let him out to potty in the morning and feed him his breakfast, and then he lets me go back to bed till late!

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Jodi is almost 4 and the lastest he's slept is about 8am. The closest thing to sleeping in is to let him out at 6 am and he'll go back to sleep for hours, but I may or may not.

Today I was especially tired and at first I didn't realize I was following my white cat down the hall telling her "lets' go pee outside".

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
at first I didn't realize I was following my white cat down the hall telling her "lets' go pee outside".
:HistericalSmiley:

So I am not the only one who can go through something similar very early in the morning after a late night sleep. I swear, physically you see me awake, but mentally, I am asleep :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
When I was still working I got up at 4. Spookie wanted no part of that! Then I retired, had trouble convincing her it was ok to sleep till 7ish. Her nose in my ear got her a NO and go lay down. It helps she can get off the bed by herself to hit the pee pad. Yesterday I woke HER up at 7:30!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I don't! LOL Sophia is like a little alarm clock and wakes up around 7 every morning. I keep a chew bone on my nightstand and give it to her and can get about 30 more minutes or so of sleep. I don't care though I love being woken up by sweet kisses by her :wub: Bailey on the other hand would sleep til noon if I let her LOL

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I guess my husband and I are lucky, as on weekends the dogs will sleep (or at least be quiet) in their crates until about 7:30am. That is plenty late for us. Occasionally we will wake up at 8am.

On weekdays, my husband wakes up first (he works and I am a housewife) around 6:30am, takes the dogs out potty, and then they get to snuggle with me on the bed until about 7:30am when I get up. Sometimes I put them back in their crates and go back to bed, and they will stay quiet.

I can't get upset with the dogs if they wake up at 7am even if I wanted to sleep later...they've been holding their bladders for 8+ hours, and they sleep in crates so I'd be awake & bored too if I had to be in there for 8 hours! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
I've always been very lucky with Milo - since he was 12 weeks he sleeps from midnight(when I go to bed) until I wake him up - if it was up to him he'd stay asleep 'til midday!!

Try playing with him late at night to get his energy out.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am so surprised that many people on here share this feeling!! I thought Yeager is one of the rare early birds haha since my neighbor walks her dog at 9 am everyday:w00t:

I know what you mean, best part of the weekend is that I can (or hope I can LOL) sleep a bit more in the AM -- especially since weekends also mean longer nights before actually going to bed!

awwh!!! I can just picture him saying: "Mama, wake up, wake up, wake up! pwease mama" :wub::wub::wub::wub:

yup try the "play a lot with him before going to bed" idea :thumbsup: all the best!
yes, it does look quite cute once you put it that way :wub: but it's really hard to think like that when the sun's barely up on a Saturday morning and I'm all blurry eyed and light headed xD

Yep, this is what I was going to say. With time Aolani, just began following my schedule.
Aw! That's so considerate of Aolani! Yeager's a lot better now compared to when he was younger, but he hasn't made any new progress over the whole summer!

Oh my goodness, I can relate! Bailey does not let me sleep in any later than 6 am every day! He starts licking/jumping on my face...and then he puts his head on my pillow and stares at me until I wake up. He's so cute, I don't mind much. Plus, he's a nice alarm clock....a lot better than being woken up by an obnoxious BEEP BEEP BEEP. On weekends, I just let him out to potty in the morning and feed him his breakfast, and then he lets me go back to bed till late!
That's true, I wonder prefer him over an alarm clock, but this one doesn't have a snooze button :HistericalSmiley: I don't think Yeager tries to staring method, or I'd just ignore him, he likes to voice his opinions :blink:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jodi is almost 4 and the lastest he's slept is about 8am. The closest thing to sleeping in is to let him out at 6 am and he'll go back to sleep for hours, but I may or may not.

Today I was especially tired and at first I didn't realize I was following my white cat down the hall telling her "lets' go pee outside".
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: haha they do look similar don't they!! Yes the fluffs have all day to catch up on their Zzz's but we don't!! They can fall asleep anywhere and at any time they choose to!

When I was still working I got up at 4. Spookie wanted no part of that! Then I retired, had trouble convincing her it was ok to sleep till 7ish. Her nose in my ear got her a NO and go lay down. It helps she can get off the bed by herself to hit the pee pad. Yesterday I woke HER up at 7:30!
Yeager used to use the pee pad too, but once summer ended he decided, for some reason, that he grew out of pee pads :blink: I still leave a pee pad out for him but he NEVER uses it anymore!! Always waits to go outside now...I guess he thinks it's more fun to go outside and pee on all those trees, and "scavenge" for some food(of course I won't let him succeed).

I don't! LOL Sophia is like a little alarm clock and wakes up around 7 every morning. I keep a chew bone on my nightstand and give it to her and can get about 30 more minutes or so of sleep. I don't care though I love being woken up by sweet kisses by her :wub: Bailey on the other hand would sleep til noon if I let her LOL
That's a good idea!! Maybe I should start bribing Yeager with chewy treats, but I'm afraid he'll just learn that whenever he whines next to my ear he'll get a treat haha!

I guess my husband and I are lucky, as on weekends the dogs will sleep (or at least be quiet) in their crates until about 7:30am. That is plenty late for us. Occasionally we will wake up at 8am.

On weekdays, my husband wakes up first (he works and I am a housewife) around 6:30am, takes the dogs out potty, and then they get to snuggle with me on the bed until about 7:30am when I get up. Sometimes I put them back in their crates and go back to bed, and they will stay quiet.

I can't get upset with the dogs if they wake up at 7am even if I wanted to sleep later...they've been holding their bladders for 8+ hours, and they sleep in crates so I'd be awake & bored too if I had to be in there for 8 hours! ;)
Yes you make an excellent point. I even have to get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom sometimes when I drink too much water before bed. So we definitely can't get upset at them...

I've always been very lucky with Milo - since he was 12 weeks he sleeps from midnight(when I go to bed) until I wake him up - if it was up to him he'd stay asleep 'til midday!!

Try playing with him late at night to get his energy out.
You are SO LUCKY!! :w00t: How does Milo do it?? I guess he doesn't take naps during the day? I guess Milo's just a heavy sleeper haha gotta get enough of his beauty sleep!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Well in our home, I'm the early riser and even the twirps don't wanna get up when I do. Well they want off the bed AFTER I've had my first cup of coffee ( smart pooches LOL ) , but the simply head for my office and go back to sleep in their beds on the floor.
Only on a rare occasion has Naddie awakened me very early when she needs to go out to potty and since it took 'forever' for her to even 'ask" this I really don't mind being disturbed. Something in her history caused her to be a 'secret-pottier'... she wouldn't 'go" if anyone was watching, so 'asking' was out of the question for her. It's assumed she was severely punished for 'accidents' thus her need to be secretive. Though when rescued from shelter she was so severely matted she couldn't even "go' ( rectum was matted over).. and huge mat where she had to pee into and caused urine burns.. so maybe this had something to do with her potty issue.
Soooo her rare early morning potty calls are no problem and actually a 'celebration" LOL

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I'm usually an early riser every day, but if I'm really tired...the kids will sleep until i'm ready to get up.

But if they're really getting figitey and have to go outside, I'll get up and take them out. i can always get back into bed if i want. We don't usually ever have a problem with sleeping in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts