Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I have a 4 1/2 months Maltese and she spends a lot of time sleeping. She sleeps all through the night (I know because she sleeps with me), goes potty in the morning and sleeps about another hour after that, around 11am takes another nap, another around 2pm, 6pm and the last one at 8:30. Day naps sometimes are really long, night one are usually short (1hr). She's perfectly healty and she doesn't runs around much so it's not from exhaustion. I'm concerned that she might me depressed, but she carries herself very well and has all the attention of the world. Is this normal for a puppy her age (to be tired all the time)?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I dont know that she is tired, dogs sleep alot, if I slept 24 hours a day, Sampson and Maggie would sleep that long, except for getting up to go potty, I would however try to increase her exercise, an active puppy is a happy puppy, and also get her checked out at the vet, i always say if its enough to worry you, find out why

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi dcsgirl!

I agree with Joe, if you are worried take her to the vet.

That said: Puppies, like babies sleep and sleep and sleep, eat, go potty and sleep some more! :lol:

Tiki has always slept alot. He will get up early with me and wants to go for a walk and play for a while, then it is nap time... I usually run errands before lunch, when I return he goes out quickly and it is back to sleep, often on my lap or at my feet. This is repeated throughout the day. He will want another walk around 3:00 or 4:00. In the evening, when the kids get home, he will play off and on with the family.... but at 10:00 he is ready for his last walk and straight to bed. He always sleeps through the night (he has since we brought him home)

As long as is eating well and is having fun playing (along with all that sleeping) she is probably fine.... she is a growing puppy after all and needs lots of rest

Judi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took Fay to the vet and he told me not to worry. She's perfectly fine and very happy. He explained to me that some puppies just sleep too much and that I should encourage her to play a lot. Take her for more walk and buy new toys (she gets tired of toys very fast). Thank you all for your advise and wisdom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts