Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember me? I picked up my Maltese on Thursday and at the beginning he was very shy, but ever since then he's been very happy, playful, eating and going on his pee-pee pad. Because I'm trying to train him, I have him confined to one room, and therefore, for the last two nights he's been crying. Otherwise, he's been very playful. During the day he's been napping (awake one hour, asleep one hour). Now for the last two hours, he's been sleeping. I try to wake him, he seems okay, but then goes back to sleep. Is this because he's just exhausted or should I be concerned? Oh, and don't forget, he's only 9 weeks. Please help!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
have you checked his gums? are they white? if they are...give him a little bit of karo syrup. its because of sugar levels are low. it is also possible that he's just a puppy and needs to sleep.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
With him being so young I would definitely make sure he is OK... Yes... check his gums and if they're not a healthy pink then rub some Karo syrup on them and also give some Nutrical. Do you have Nutrical? If not, you should keep both that and Karo on hand with such a young baby. How much does he weigh?

Also, he probably is lonely sleeping away from you. Dogs are pack animals and they especially like to sleep in the room with the rest of their pack. Can you put him in his crate in your bedroom and put him where he can see you... he'll be much happier that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow that sounds exactly like my puppy. When i bought her she was sooo shy and scared i was a little worried but now she's happy and eating and playful too. we have her confined in one room also (laundry room blocked off by gate) and the first two nights she cried all night. now, she's perfectly fine. what we've done was put her in there whenever we're not feeding, grooming, playing, training her, and sometimes we go in there with her to play with her in her room. everytime we walk by that room, when we're not inside, we try not to look in her direction and we NEVER go to her when she cries, only after she's quiet. now, if she does cry when we leave her there, it's 15 seconds of crying at most and then she plays by herself and she never cries at night anymore. do you close the door to the room? most dogs panic when they're behind a door and are confined that way in a room.

I wonder about her sleeping too much too...she takes about 3 big naps a day (2-3 hours) and one time she slept for 4 hours! but when she wakes up from her nap, she's extremely hyper and active. so i didn't really think it was bad she was sleeping so much, just a puppy thing. i asked my vet about it and he said that every puppy's sleeping habits will differ and there's no "set" amount they sleep everyday/night. maybe you should have her checked out by a vet just in case??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Make SURE the gums are REDDISH PINK!!!!! 6 weeks ago I rushed Cha Cha to the emergency animal hospital! She was in "hypoglycemic shock"! Critical condition!!!
CHECK HER GUMS!! Karo syrup is great. You don't need nutrical if the puppy is eating, because she's getting good nutrients from her food. Nutrical contains MANY nutrients and is great, but at this point could upset her tummy! Trust me.... Been through allot...Cha Cha is great! I give her a bit (Karo Syrup)
on my finger 3 times daily now! (After her feedings). She "LOVES" it!! It's candy for them!
Jellybn1

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by jellybn1@Apr 11 2005, 10:41 AM
Make SURE the gums are REDDISH PINK!!!!! 6 weeks ago I rushed Cha Cha to the emergency animal hospital! She was in "hypoglycemic shock"! Critical condition!!!
  CHECK HER GUMS!! Karo syrup is great. You don't need nutrical if the puppy is eating, because she's getting good nutrients from her food. Nutrical contains MANY nutrients and is great, but at this point could upset her tummy! Trust me.... Been through allot...Cha Cha is great! I give her a bit (Karo Syrup)
  on my finger 3 times daily now! (After her feedings). She "LOVES" it!! It's candy for them!
                                    Jellybn1
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51316
[/QUOTE]

You're on the right track regarding Karo for when they are in hypoglycemic shock.... my vet suggests rubbing it on their gums to get it in their system fastest.

However, I do question giving Karo on a regular basis as a preventative. I'm thinking that it could actually bring on an attack because sugar in general raises blood sugar and then causes it to drop fairly quickly. I would check with your vet to make sure it is OK to give Karo on a regular basis.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I agree with keeping the puppy's crate around you at all times. They want to be where they can see you all the time. Sis use to hate being in the bedroom at night on the floor in her crate, we finally put it up on the dresser and as long as she can see us, she's great!! Even now, she does NOT like to be in a room alone. If your puppy is eating regularly I would NOT give it any Karo syrup. It is just calories they do NOT need if they are eating well. If you are super concerned about your puppy sleeping to much I would call your Vet and have a chat with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 11 2005, 12:28 PM
I agree with keeping the puppy's crate around you at all times.  They want to be where they can see you all the time.  Sis use to hate being in the bedroom at night on the floor in her crate, we finally put it up on the dresser and as long as she can see us, she's great!!  Even now, she does NOT like to be in a room alone.  If your puppy is eating regularly I would NOT give it any Karo syrup.  It is just calories they do NOT need if they are eating well. If you are super concerned about your puppy sleeping to much I would call your Vet and have a chat with them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51350
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had just asked this question a couple of days ago about my 12 week baby, Tristan. He'll sometimes nap for 2-4 hours and then only be active for an hour before napping again. I wouldn't describe his behavior as ever being hyper. Playful yes, even does the Indy 500 thing but mostly just shaking toys and running about with them. Took him to the vet and still has clean bill of health-- guess he's just a bit more of a sleepy baby. Hope nothing is wrong with yours!

·
Registered
144 Posts
                                    Jellybn1

I can only tell you what has worked for us. She plays ALLOT! SO SWEET!!! But she naps allot during the day, which I like as I'm working. Good luck!!
Jellybn1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts