Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a quick question.. I am a new mommy (i got my baby 2 days ago so I have had her for 2 nights).. The first night she whimpered when i had her in her crate during the night.. it lasted about 20 mins and i got frustrated and i put her in bed with me and she slept until 5:00 am... Then last night, the same thing, she slept in bed with me again, until 8:00 am.. I am just worried I am starting off on the wrong foot with her training.. When i go back to work in a couple of weeks she will need to stay in her crate alone during the day so i am worried i am jepardizing that.. Any opinions?? or advice?? thanks

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Lily'smom@Jul 22 2005, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I have a quick question.. I am a new mommy (i got my baby 2 days ago so I have had her for 2 nights).. The first night she whimpered when i had her in her crate during the night.. it lasted about 20 mins and i got frustrated and i put her in bed with me and she slept until 5:00 am... Then last night, the same thing, she slept in bed with me again, until 8:00 am.. I am just worried I am starting off on the wrong foot with her training.. When i go back to work in a couple of weeks she will need to stay in her crate alone during the day so i am worried i am jepardizing that.. Any opinions?? or advice?? thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83632
[/QUOTE]

bring the crate up to the room with you and put it beside your bed that way when she starts whining you can tap the top of the crate. Then she will know you are there. Also you can put one of your t. shirts in there with you scent that tend to help as well.
when she get gets older you can gradualy bring the crate down to the location you want her to sleep in,

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I never crate trained. I'm always home so there was no need. My dogs sleep in bed with me.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well if she is going to be in her crate while you are not there I suggest you get her used to it while you are there. Why not invest in an e-pen and put the crate in there for her bed during the day, that's what we did with Scooby. He slept with us pretty much from the beginning too, and in his x-pen during his potty training time during the day. This worked well for us. I guess the good thing is we were here with him all the time too.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I didn't crate train either. Brink had the run of the kitchen until he was good enough to stay in the living room and den too. He has slept with us since the first night.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Both of ours sleep with us (we don't crate at all). I think quite a few folks on the forum crate their pups in the day but let them sleep with them at night.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki slept with us from day 1 :>)... I just couldn't help it.

He was limited to the kitchen when we weren't home and he had his crate in there but the door was always open.

Judi

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I would love for Lexi and Nikki to sleep with me. Lexi prefers to sleep in her crate. I have let her sleep with me a few times. It seems as she gets older she will sleep in the bed for a longer period of time before she wants to go back to her crate. I let Nikki sleep in bed with me twice so far. Both times were right after I got her. She peed in the bed both times. I'm going to try again when she gets a little older. In the mean time both sleep in there crates. Every so often I will let them sleep in the same crate if they want to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Our little Jolie sleeps with us too. She either sleeps on our head/pillow or between us, makes it vey hard to cuddle with your loved one.... I guess she is #1 now.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by Jolie@Jul 22 2005, 02:45 PM
Our little Jolie sleeps with us too. She either sleeps on our head/pillow or between us, makes it vey hard to cuddle with your loved one.... I guess she is #1 now. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83711
[/QUOTE]
Yeah my babys are number one. When I lived with John we had shiner and prissy in bed. Our bed was in a corner and I got to sleep against the wall with prissy above my head and shiner between my legs. John is a big cuddler
I'm not I like my space. He gets so mad when I tell him to get on his side of the bed because I cant take one more thing laying on me. He always says why cant they move.
It was better towards the end because we crated shiner at night he got into the litter box if we didnt. Shiner LOVES his crate. At first we had to put him in there now we just say crate up and he runs in and lays down.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i had the great idea that i would crate train l.e. but all it took was the first night of her crying and she was in bed with me and my boyfriend at the time. it was actually quite cute because i was willing to get through the night with her in her crate, but he couldn't stand to hear her unhappy

since him and i split up a few months ago, she doesn't want to sleep with me anymore. she sleeps on the floor on her her pillow that i made for her until about 3 in the morning. then she goes potty and wants up on the bed with me. him and i tried to get back together and were staying at each other's houses over night and she would sleep with both of us again. i think she either liked sleeping with him, or felt like she had to protect me while i was sleeping!

when she was a pup and not potty trained i kept her in a playpen during the day while i was at work and then let her run around while i was home.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey had her crate in the exercise pen. I put her bed in her crate and she slept in it at night. Once I could trust her not to have accidents she slept with me. I have her bed on the floor next to my bed. I have noticed that if the central air gets to cold for her she sleeps in her bed, if she isn't cold she sleeps with me.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Until recently, Kallie slept in bed with me and Catcher preferred his crate until about 5 in the morning. Now he wants to sleep all night in the bed, too, so that's what we do. He usually settles in on the pillows above my head and Kallie sleeps next to me.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I had the crate next to my bed with Sunny in it until he got good at going potty ouside, otherwise he wouldnt wake me up to go out we would just pee all over my room. But now he sleeps in my bed and wakes me up when he is ready to go out.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I would be horribly insulted if my dogs DIDN'T want to sleep with me and I get really hurt if they don't come to bed with me immediately when I take out the bed. Little C ALWAYS does, but Sir N will sometimes stay wherever he is for a few minutes before joining us.

Back on the island, an ex once visited me and he slept in the spare bedroom. This was before Little C. I was devastated when Sir N abandoned me and went and slept with my ex. I mean, I knew that he and my ex were really close, but STILL!!!!
Then again, he's always preferred men...sometimes I think that he is shopping for a new boyfriend for me when we are out on walks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all of your suggestions.. I bring Lily's crate into my room at night but she still whimpers and seems to want to cuddle nexy to me.. I have a large glove (leopard print and soft) that I have in her crate for her to lay against.. I would let her whimper but since i live in an apartment complex with VERY VERY thin walls, i hate having her bark and wake up the neighbors. I was told to keep her in the crate unless i could watch her 100%.. I am going to try to get her to sleep in the crate tonight, ALL night!! I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. I got my maltese at two months old and had bought a "port-a-home" that's padded with soft fleece (machine washable) with ventilation panels on three sides. You can roll the two side panels down in case it gets cold, but the back is solid and the front is a completely open ventilation panel. That way, your dog is comfortable during the summer and the winter... and can have a clear view in the front of the dog house. It is soft all around as it is compact. It folds up into a thin panel. He has several places in the house he considers his sleeping spot or napping place. His doggie house is portable and really convenient and easy to wash and care for. He rarely soils "his spots" because he considers them his "haven". When I scold him or when he finds a piece of morsel, he crawls into his doggie house and hides. I don't invade his privacy when he goes in there... I let him come out when he's ready. He sleeps on the couch, and when it's hot he sleeps on the wood floor against the bed or during the day next to the computer where my feet are close by! At night he will sleep on the bed if I let him up. Sometimes he'll jump into his woven basket with his pillow in it next to my bed or duck into his house. I think you shoulld give your dog a lot of options for sleep time. It can bring your dog closer to you or determine certain boundaries if you wish to keep him "unspoiled"!! Some people believe dogs are more easily trained when they are treated as a dog... and "Me human.. I'm in charge" kind of lifestyle. My baby is who he is and what he is... something of a spoiled rotten child that gets away with anything without jeopardizing his health. In consequence, I believe he has some issues with training. I have not shown my dog who is "master"!! My fault. Sleep is an important thing to any animal, and especially puppies. If you don't really mind sleeping with your dog and can spend some time training your pet, I think it is a great gift for both of you to share.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts