Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you use a slicker brush? And if you use one, what do you use it for?

I've heard so many that are opposed to using a slicker, but I couldn't live without one. I use the very tiniest #1 All Systems slicker.

If I have pin mats, I will comb them out, but then will use the the slicker to remove the loosened mat. I also use the slicker on wet ears to separate the hair before I blow the ears dry. I do not use on the outside of the ears. I turn the ear flap over and separte the fringe at the bottom of the ears. Also if I have pretty short trimmed legs, I will use a slicker on the legs after they are dried, to brush the hair upwards to make the legs look fuller.

I never use a slick on the body hair, but will use as described above -- even for show coats.

What about you?

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I have a slicker brush that I used to use on my bichon (Lacie)....but I've never used it on my malts.....not sure why....just never seemed like the right tool...???? Maybe I'll try it...but with short hair, it just doesn't seem necessary.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I will use a slicker on the tummy, ears, legs and pretty much anywhere I need to (except the face) Even on my show coats, I use it when needed. It doesnt' seem like it breaks hair - it's the mats that are breaking the hair!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I use what Michele uses. Slicker brushes can stretch the hair causing damage and more matting. It was meant for undercoat or removing shedded hair. Just sayin...

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I use them on my cocker for her undercoat,our German Shepherd undercoat and our cat. I used them some on the Malts but I use the Madan and a comb.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would never use a slick to "brush" a fluff in coat, but I do use it as described and I've keep dogs in show coat with the best of them, imho. And I don't believe that it "stretches" the coat, but in inexperienced hands, it can/will damage a show coat.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Lynn, I use a slicker brush. I'm not sure of the brand but it is a small one. I use mine to remove tough mats. It works well and takes out only the mat and very little of the surrounding hair.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Here I go with another silly question...what is the difference between a pin brush and a slicker brush? I use a tiny pin brush on Rocky and a Madden pin brush. I also use a comb.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I will use a slicker on the tummy, ears, legs and pretty much anywhere I need to (except the face) Even on my show coats, I use it when needed. It doesnt' seem like it breaks hair - it's the mats that are breaking the hair!
Ditto ... except I don't use it on ears. I get mine from Petedge and like it very much. Here's a link to it: PetEdge: Millers Forge Designer Series Soft Slicker Pet Grooming Brushes

My first show dog had a lot of coat (that helped hide my mistakes) but it was fine so would break easily. I never used a slicker on him, just a brush and comb. I still broke hair. Then a friend/handler with expertise in coated dogs told me it doesn't matter what you use, you are going to break hair unless you lighten your touch. I didn't realize until she said that just how heavy my touch was and that it was my touch causing hair to break. While I think that certain products and tools work better than others I think a clean coat and a light touch go a long way toward keeping a lovely coat.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I would never use a slick to "brush" a fluff in coat, but I do use it as described and I've keep dogs in show coat with the best of them, imho. And I don't believe that it "stretches" the coat, but in inexperienced hands, it can/will damage a show coat.
I don't think it stretches it either. But if I have a show coat with those little pin mats, I will lightly run the slicker through the coat to make sure I got all those out, rather than a comb. IMO, that is not going to ruin a coat and I don't plan on changing it. I should add though that the coats I use it on are decent coats in decent condition coats - not fragile with really damaged ends. I typically do this before I bathe. I think the key word is gently though. If you start tugging any brush through your dogs coat, you're going to break coat and possibly hurt the dog.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think it stretches it either. But if I have a show coat with those little pin mats, I will lightly run the slicker through the coat to make sure I got all those out, rather than a comb. IMO, that is not going to ruin a coat and I don't plan on changing it. I should add though that the coats I use it on are decent coats in decent condition coats - not fragile with really damaged ends. I typically do this before I bathe. I think the key word is gently though. If you start tugging any brush through your dogs coat, you're going to break coat and possibly hurt the dog.
Stacy -- you and I are on the same page.

Mary -- what you said is sooooooooooooo true. When I started showing Lhasas, I too had a very "heavy hand" when grooming and ruined the coat on my first show dog. He had a very fragile coat anyway, and my approach didn't help at all. So I totally agree with what you said.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Please tell me if this little one is a slicker brush or pin brush. The other one is a Madden pin brush. The little one I bought when Rocky was a baby. Should I be using it on him everywhere? He seems to like it more than the Madden brush. thank you!:)

guess it would help if I linked the pictures, gosh....what's wrong with me...next post, sorry.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
OK, these are the brushes I have...the little one I got for Rocky when he was a baby. I got the madden one when he got older, but he still prefers the little one. Is the smaller one a slicker brush or a pin brush? I've been using it all over his body and just want to know if it's ok to use all over. thank you!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
OK, these are the brushes I have...the little one I got for Rocky when he was a baby. I got the madden one when he got older, but he still prefers the little one. Is the smaller one a slicker brush or a pin brush? I've been using it all over his body and just want to know if it's ok to use all over. thank you!
That looks like a pin brush 'shaped' like a slicker- and not a comfortable one because of the little balls on the end.

But if it's working for you, keep using it! Honestly, on a pet, I wouldn't worry to much about broken coat, esp when they are in a puppy cut. I would try it on your hair though and if it pulls the hair, that is what it is in doing to Rocky. I use the Madan for my own hair so I know it doesn't pull!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts