Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! I try not to use a slicker on Katie too often, but sometimes she just needs it... For those of you that use them, do you wet the hair first or brush dry? Thanks!
Jess

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I would only use a high quality slicker like A#1 All Systems or Chris Christensen makes (I love my new Mark I slicker!) and I always spray Lady with Ice on Ice first.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was thinking of getting one of those Christensen slickers and a butter comb... Katie just went to the groomer, so we'll see if she has any hair left when she gets back.. LOL! If she does, I'll get her a new set of tools!
Jess

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking of getting the buttercomb, the slicker, and the White on White sample package... Katie is managing to turn herself gray (I have no clue what she is getting into) around her tail and ears, so I think she needs a whitening treatment... Have you used the White on White? What about the Ice on Ice? I had that once for Kylie, but their coats are so different I don't know how it would work for Katie...
Jess

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I love the Ice on Ice. (I sound like a spokeswoman for Chris Christensen, don't I?)

Lady has a combination coat. It's okay on her torso, but her chest and front legs are pretty cottony. It leaves a nice shine on her coat. I also like the fact that it doesn't soak the hair. Most of the spray on's left her too wet.

I haven't tried White on White. I try not to use whitening shampoos too often because they are so drying. I have the All Systems whitening shampoo, but the one I really love is Matrix's So Silver. Nicole recommended it and it works great! I usually only use it on Lady's beard and right leg (she lifts her leg about an inch when she pees, just enough to pee on her leg when her coat gets long!)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen the So Silver suggested here before.. I'll have to call my hair lady to see if she has it in stock... Katie gets into everything, so Lord only knows why her tail is gray... It almost looks like the hair is growing in that color, but it's not... I don't know if her hair just attracts a lot of dirt or its oily or what... She is just a mess! LOL!! I don't think she will ever grow up!

Jess

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 25 2005, 01:28 PM
I would only use a high quality slicker like A#1 All Systems or Chris Christensen makes (I love my new Mark I slicker!) and I always spray Lady with Ice on Ice first.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113308
[/QUOTE]
OK Marj, I caved and just purchased three Chris Christensen products...I got the 27mm gold pin brush, MARK I X-SMALL HEAD slicker, and the #008 buttercomb. I really hope these brushes work well. My family is begging me to let Valletta's hair grow long again...so we'll see if these products help! I was going to order the ice on ice, but honestly, I love how Infusium 23 works on her. Maybe if these brushes work well, I'll try it in the future. I'll let you know when they arrive....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Katie still has all her hair! Yay!! They did a fantastic job on her at the groomer... She and Kylie look just beautiful!!!
Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the buttercomb, the slicker, and the sample pack with the White on White, Ice on Ice, and a couple other things... I can't wait to try this stuff out!!! My husband would flip out if he knew how much these combs cost, but that's just too bad..
Only the best for the girls! LOL! Thanks again for the recommendation!
Jess

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty+Oct 25 2005, 01:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Oct 25 2005, 01:28 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113308
OK Marj, I caved and just purchased three Chris Christensen products...I got the 27mm gold pin brush, MARK I X-SMALL HEAD slicker, and the #008 buttercomb. I really hope these brushes work well. My family is begging me to let Valletta's hair grow long again...so we'll see if these products help! I was going to order the ice on ice, but honestly, I love how Infusium 23 works on her. Maybe if these brushes work well, I'll try it in the future. I'll let you know when they arrive....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113339
[/B][/QUOTE]

omg, I used Infusium on Puddles and the next day he smelled like a skunk.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Just want to double check with the experts before I push the button. Sparkey always has short hair. max length will be maybe 2 or 3 inches.

I have in my cart the following:

006- Buttercomb

012- Buttercomb

051- Ice on Ice

A51- Mark 1 X=Small Slicker brush

I will buy the #1 27mm white pin brush somewhere else and Bless the Beast stuff next month.

give me thumbs up if I did good. if not which one should I replace. Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have asked Lisa at CC what they would reccomend for Maltese and this is her reply.

Products I recommend for a Maltese:

White on White

Day to Day Moisturizing Shampoo (rotate with White on White)

Day to Day Mositurizing Conditioner

Ice on Ice

Silk Spirits

A027G – 27mm Gold Series Pin Brush

Buttercomb #008 or #010 Tail Combs

ChrisStix if you need when showing

Kindest regards,

Lisa Christensen

Chris Christensen Systems

·
Registered
354 Posts
I asked my groomer this week what kind of brush I should be using, and was surprised when she said to use a slicker brush. I have a CC slicker brush, but I haven't been using it, because it pulls on Dolce's skin and seems to bother her. My groomer said that she brushes against the direction the hair grows, and that matts come out easily that way. She does a great job and I trust her, so I tried to follow her directions, but it didn't work for me. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what. I just thought it was strange that she said that when I have been hearing that everyone uses a pin brush.

Anyway, I'm even more confused now about how to brush.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
just got everything I listed above in my previous post. I'll be brushing Sparkey tonight if he let me . This slicker brush thing looks kind of harsh. I can't even imagine brushing against the way the hair grows. wouldn't that just make a big mess?
I was surprized how big the bottle is for ice on ice. this should last me for ever I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.