Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
559 Posts
Just to give you wonderful folks a little insight to what everyone has to deal with these days:

Spam has evolved. In the past, it was tech wizards with too much time on their hand and wanting to cause trouble, have some fun or practice their craft. These days, a lot of the spam we see are NOT the work of spambots but real people.

While I don't have proof of who is running them, it's not too far fetched to think that you have organized crime people paying pennies a day to some guy sitting at a net cafe in some developing nation and going onto forums all day, creating accounts, posting spam and being a pain in the neck for everyone.

We can put in filters, extra security to make sure they verify themselves but again, it only slows them down...doesn't stop them completely.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Just to give you wonderful folks a little insight to what everyone has to deal with these days:

Spam has evolved. In the past, it was tech wizards with too much time on their hand and wanting to cause trouble, have some fun or practice their craft. These days, a lot of the spam we see are NOT the work of spambots but real people.

While I don't have proof of who is running them, it's not too far fetched to think that you have organized crime people paying pennies a day to some guy sitting at a net cafe in some developing nation and going onto forums all day, creating accounts, posting spam and being a pain in the neck for everyone.

We can put in filters, extra security to make sure they verify themselves but again, it only slows them down...doesn't stop them completely.
Yikes :blink:
The last time I was a mod on a forum was over 2 years ago so I guess it's changed since then! It was always spambots that spammed the forum I worked on.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts