Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been feeding my 9-year-old Maltese Hill's prescription Digestive Care dog food. We adopted her almost a year ago and she is doing fine on this brand. She was throwing up semi frequently when we first got her, but that might have been due to stress (she had been in a hoarder situation with 22 other dogs for 8.5.)

The problem is I have to get the food from chewy or from the vet by the case and I've yet to have a case that didn't contain some dented cans (which I won't use.)

I need to find a high-quality dog food that comes in the 5.5 or 6oz cans since we like to go camping and travel a lot. I don't always have a way to refrigerate the cans after opening.

Can anyone recommend a quality canned dog food that comes in small cans?

·
Super Moderator
10,377 Posts
There are two great resources for quality dog food. One is online called Dog Food Advisor and the other requires a subscription but you can pay and access online - Whole Dog Journal. I personally prefer WDJ because DFA favors high protein and fat contents which one of my girls can't tolerate. WDJ is more than just their dog food recommendations, and is a great resource for other information as well.

Re Hill's prescription - it's not a "magic formula" and most dogs who do well on it can also do well on other high quality brands. When you start shopping, look at the ingredient list and the fat and protein content and see if you can find something with better ingredients (won't be hard to do) and similar fat and protein content. You may try to avoid chicken as that's a common irritant for our little ones' digestive systems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been experimenting with food for my Maltese for a year and tried different brands, but it didn’t make big difference. Then I found the Multivitamin complex by Kinpur, and began to see changes for the better. I've been giving the chews for half a year now, my Max eats them with appetite. Besides the jars are pretty small, it seems to be perfect for you.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,095 Posts
Just to be clear here---this is a vitamin & not a food. The OP was asking about food recommendations.

Reactions: mss
1 - 4 of 4 Posts