Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on Oprah (it was a repeat) the theme was amazing or remarkable things or something along those lines...
Anyway, among other things they had the World's (unofficial) Smallest Dog. This lady brought her Yorkie on that was about as big as a rat. I think they said it was about a pound (maybe even a little smaller). The lady kept it in a birdcage on the floor and they set it next to a coke can and standing up it was smaller. It's structuring looked a little off but I guess that is to be expected with something SO tiny!
At first I thought it was going to be the result of some seriously messed up breeding but she said that the mother was 4 pounds and the father was around 7.5 pounds!

Forget being scared about your small dog being fragile...I would be scared I would step on it and smush it flat!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I think I saw a picture of that dog on some website. I don't remember which one. I agree thought I would be so scared of stepping on it. Lexi was 6.7 lbs last time I weighed her. That is small enough for me. I can't imagine a dog a 6th of her size. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The breeding WAS all wrong! You breed a small male to a larger female, not the other way around...You want the mother big enough to carry and deliver pups and you want the male small so the pups will be (hopefully) small enough for the mother to safely deliver.

We worry about other animals around our pets with the most dangerous animal of all is humans!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
"Rumore does know this: Noki owes his life to Skeels-Hopson, 52, who cared for the dog when it was first born. It weighed just 2 ounces, and no one, except her, thought it would survive. Noki, whose father weighs nearly 4 pounds and mother a gargantuan 7 1/4 pounds, was born in her house."

WOW!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoops...I got it backwards....Dad was the smaller one, not Mom!
That picture is the dog I saw....I went onto the pup's website (Tiny Pinocchio) and the dog did die

It's so sad because the woman that owned him had SO many huge expectations for him.
It said the dog was eight inches from head to tail...I can't even imagine!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
How sad!

What a sweet tiny baby! A miracle that he lived as long as he did I guess.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know, that is crazy that he lived even that long. The article they wrote about him must have just been referring to the standard of regular sized Yorkies because it said he could live to be around 15 yrs old

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't care if he was a "runt" or not, he was still a living breathing dog and Im sure he was very loved by that woman. Im sure she took extra precautions not to step on him or hurt him. It is very sad, he was still so cute even though he looked like a long haired rat! LOL It takes a very special person to be able to alot the kind of time, patience, and love to an animal that you know may not live very long.

I dont think it had anything to do with the actual breeding, they said the mom was over 7 pounds and the dad was 4, so the breeder probably had no idea that something so tiny would come out of that! She was probably looking for pups to grow around 5 pounds or so which is on the larger side for Yorkies (their standard starts at 3 pounds). I bet she was shocked!

My prayers and thoughts go out to the little squirt, he sure made an impact on a lot of people!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts