Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i went to the pet store to grab some food for Sunny he usually eats science diet puppy small bits, but when i got the food i was like hmm well he has gotten a lot bigger maybe he dosnt need the small bits.....i was wrong very wrong he can hardly eat the normal sized puppy food i had to take some and smash it with a hammer to get him to eat it lol i think i am gonna get to bag of the small bits and mix then together and if that works i would hate to say i wasted a whole bag of dog food.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lilly
That is sooo funny about having to hammer the dog food. I can totally understand though.
I cannot begin to count the bags of dog food that I have given to the neighbors' dogs over the past years!
Sassi is such a picky eater.
BUT.....I have FINALLY found a dog food that she has eaten EVERY time I have fed her...Solid Gold 'wee bits'. I could not believe she was eating every bowl.
It is adult dog food, but it is very small bites and she loves it. Solid Gold is one of those dog foods that only use human grade, no filler, no preservatives, etc.
We pour a little warm water over it and then pour it off and she loves it.
Her eyes look better, and she isn't licking her feet anymore either.

So, consider yourself very lucky if you only throw away ONE bag...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Nov 24 2004, 05:13 PM
Hahahahahaha!  I'm not the only one!  Whew!  Back when Noodle and I were in the States, he was still on commerical kibble.  I was buying him canine t/d.  The first time we bought it, we bought the biggest chunks available.  I had to break it all up with a hammer....down to the last piece in the bag.  And those pieces were HARD!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18462
[/QUOTE]

Isn't t/d the Science Diet version made for dental health? If so, it only works if its in the whole shape. The way it works, according to the folks I spoke to at Science Diet, is that when the dog bites in to it, it "grabs" the tooth and pulls the tarter, etc. off of it. So that is why it was so hard... it is part of the reason it works so well on their teeth. My first Maltese, Rosebud, ate that formulation for a period of time. Most kibble isn't nearly as hard as t/d. Oh well, since yours are on the raw diet now, I don't guess you have to worry about kibble, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With 6 Maltese, finding a food they all liked and was chicken or lamb was a real horror... Many time I have given food food to the local shelter, because they wouldnt touch it....Thank Goodness for Science Diet small bites (puppy) they HATE the adult.

If you have a close shelter around they will take donations...

Joy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Joy@Nov 27 2004, 08:57 PM
With 6 Maltese, finding a food they all liked and was chicken or lamb was a real horror... Many time I have given food food to the local shelter, because they wouldnt touch it....Thank Goodness for Science Diet small bites (puppy) they HATE the adult.

If you have a close shelter around they will take donations...

Joy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18870
[/QUOTE]

Joy, have you tried the Royal Canin Small Breed Mini? It is teeny tiny flat triangular shaped kibble and is great for Maltese puppies. It has no by-products and is supposed to be easy on their stomachs. Catcher is 6+ months and he loves it and he stools are always nice and hard... important when potty pad trained!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Nov 28 2004, 12:27 AM
Kallie/Cather's Mom,

Yes, that is true, but that one time I had accidentally bought the large pieces instead of the small pieces.  I used the hammer to break the large pieces into the same size small pieces as what they sell for smaller dogs with smaller mouths.  He still had to do a lot of chewing.  After I had switched him to raw (years later) I had a half a bag.  I didn't want to throw it out and Cookie ended up teething on pieces of it.  She LOVED gnawing away at it.  Neither of them will touch it now, though, back before raw, it was Noodle's favorite food.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18914
[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, I see......

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Have you tried taking the food back? Most pet shops have a money back guarentee if the food doesn't work out for some reason. I know Science Diet is one of those companies who gives refunds to the retailer.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well he seems to be eating it just very very very slowly lol i think he figured out that pouting wasnt gonna get him differnt food, smart boy, i wont buy it again but it looks like i wont have to throw the bag out.

from the sound of it i am really lucky with sunny eating most of what i have giving him he came eating purina one but i though science diet would be better for him so i switched him to it he hasnt giving me any trouble with them aside from this with the big peices and one other time when he turned out being sick

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 29 2004, 07:27 AM
Have you tried taking the food back? Most pet shops have a money back guarentee if the food doesn't work out for some reason. I know Science Diet is one of those companies who gives refunds to the retailer.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19137
[/QUOTE]

I think PetSmart lets you return dog food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts