Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Smelly face

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jmm 
#1 ·
My puppy's face seems to have started to smell a lot lately. It doesn't seem to be from his mouth but from his eyes. Everytime I try to comb out the hairs around his eyes, my fingers smell and he has thick eye goop. Sounds pretty gross. Any info/advice. Thanks.

#2 ·
I had this trouble with Sadie. The vet even flushed her tear ducts when she was spayed and the smell remained. I wash her face twice daily and use a small flea comb to carefully remove all the eye goop. My vet kept assuring me this was normal for a small dog. I took her in 2 weeks ago and insisted that they at least try an antibiotic eye ointment. He gave me the ointment and said he didn't think it would really help. Well the smell is gone. I can't say that her eyes don't still run a little, but the nasty smell is gone and the eye goop is better. I used the meds for about a week and then stopped. I will use it intermittantly as needed.

#3 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 27 2005, 09:30 PM
I had this trouble with Sadie.  The vet even flushed her tear ducts when she was spayed and the smell remained.  I wash her face twice daily and use a small flea comb to carefully remove all the eye goop.  My vet kept assuring me this was normal for a small dog.  I took her in 2 weeks ago and insisted that they at least try an antibiotic eye ointment.  He gave me the ointment and said he didn't think it would really help.  Well the smell is gone.  I can't say that her eyes don't still run a little, but the nasty smell is gone and the eye goop is better.  I used the meds for about a week and then stopped.  I will use it intermittantly as needed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38325
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice! I will call the vet tomorrow as Nibbles is scheduled to receive his last vaccination. Free at last. I can finally take him out for walks and to the park! The other unfortunate event is that I'm on crutches. Can't really walk him for another five weeks! Uggh!

#4 ·
Welcome Jaker.
There are several brands of eye wash out there that might do the trick. I like the ones that have the little wipey pads, they seem to soap up nicely and don't need rinsed off. My schnauzer always seemed to have goop in one eye and the pads have really helped that. I use them on IzzyBella (our malt) for the tear stains.

#9 ·
I noticed a while back that Peanut's eye area was pretty stinky and I took him to the vet. He had an eye infection and we got Tobramycin eye drops from the vet. Other than that I clean Peanut's face evey morning and I use a flea comb to catch all the eye goobers. He has a tear duct prob, so his eyes are always teary.

#10 ·
I was grooming Catcher last night and smelled "that" smell... yuk. I used a no rinse shampoo on it and combed it real good and the smell was gone. I guess there could be two types of smells... one that is just from tears and dirt and one that might be bacteria or yeast related?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.