Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Smelly poop!

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Buddy2000 
#1 ·
Belle was spayed two weeks ago. After being spayed because of the antibiotics she had some diarrhea.

On Saturday she started doing REALLY smelly poops that are also soft. And she only goes potty in the morning (till last week she would go once/twice a day, sometimes even thrice a day). I’m adding her food journal so you get the gist of her daily eating habits.

I give her home made chicken jerky for breakfast (chicken marinated in peanut butter and soy sauce which I dry for 6–8 hours in the oven)
For lunch she gets 15 grams of Acana puppy kibble and the same for dinner.

She gets either
  • dehydrated sprats
  • Roasted duck breast
  • Roasted venison strips
  • Dried salmon fillets
For snacks, mainly when I’m eating my lunch/ dinner.

And before bed I give her a dental stick

Even though she’s eating well she only poops in the morning.

Do I need to change her diet? (I started her on kibble when I had work going on in my house. She’s still on it because it’s convenient and being a picky eater she’s actually eating it without issues and because it’s been 7 weeks and my fridge still hasn’t been delivered 🙄 getting work done during a pandemic wasn’t my brightest moment).

Should I give her stomach soothers? Normally I’d try giving her some yogurt with psyllium husk or chia seeds, but that’s more for an upset stomach.

Ps sometimes she does get gassy in bed and I do get up and bring her to her pad to do something but she doesn’t go, not till the next morning.

Pps she did have a delicate stomach when she’d come. Through trial and error I figured out what suited her and what didn’t. But this has been going on for 5 days now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. That's a lot of different things and not necessarily a balanced diet. I'd add a probiotic/digestive enzyme - Animal Essentials is the one my holistic vet recommends - right off the bat to restore the good gut bacteria that the antibiotics destroyed. Animal Essentials also has a product called Colon Rescue powder which soothes the digestive system and can make her more regular.

I'd also stop the greenies. They can cause all sorts of problems with blockages in small dogs because they don't digest well, in fact, the company has warned not to give them to toy breed dogs.

I wouldn't make any more changes at this point but see what the probiotics and colon rescue do. I'd also transition her slowly to a balanced raw or minimally processed diet. Many pet owners think their pups are picky eaters but what they're really telling us is there are better options than what we're giving them. I use Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw base mix and add my own protein - either turkey, beef or fish. My girls have never turned down a meal.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Wow. That's a lot of different things and not necessarily a balanced diet. I'd add a probiotic/digestive enzyme - Animal Essentials is the one my holistic vet recommends - right off the bat to restore the good gut bacteria that the antibiotics destroyed. Animal Essentials also has a product called Colon Rescue powder which soothes the digestive system and can make her more regular.

I'd also stop the greenies. They can cause all sorts of problems with blockages in small dogs because they don't digest well, in fact, the company has warned not to give them to toy breed dogs.

I wouldn't make any more changes at this point but see what the probiotics and colon rescue do. I'd also transition her slowly to a balanced raw or minimally processed diet. Many pet owners think their pups are picky eaters but what they're really telling us is there are better options than what we're giving them. I use Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw base mix and add my own protein - either turkey, beef or fish. My girls have never turned down a meal.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. I will stop the greenies and see if there’s an improvement and I’ll look for the probiotic enzyme (I’ll have to see what’s available in my country).

Regarding raw food, I had looked up the diet initially and had even bought raw food frozen patties that a local pet shop was supplying. However I ended up throwing half the packet when I googled raw food on google and was hit with articles on E. coli and salmonella, it scared the living daylights out of me. Though she really did enjoy those patties.

I have seen dehydrated meat mix in the pet shop as well and the owner did recommend it saying it was better than kibble. The protein you add is it raw as well? Have you ever had any negative experience? Do you look for anything specific when purchasing the raw diet?

Again thank you for the input!

#4 ·
I also think that could well be too much protein & or fat for a little pup. I have to limit protein in both of my dogs---they don't do well w/it if it is high. The gas tells us that something is in disagreement w/her system. I would limit her to one protein & work w/that until you know it agrees w/her system, along w/some steamed carrots & small amount of plain white rice until her system settles. Have you done the Bile Acids paired blood test w/your vet to determine what her liver enzymes are like. Many small dogs have MVD so a base line test at about 16 wks. or later is a good idea.

#5 ·
No I don’t think I’ve gotten that test done. They had done an eco because she had some problem with her ovaries which was keeping her constantly in heat, they spayed her within a week of doing the eco. They’d done a blood test to check for parasites and asked for a feces sample when she’d gone for the first time.

Either way I’ll call up and ask. And she does love carrots and cherry tomatoes. We play fetch with the cherry tomato which she eventually bites into (I give her one every 2nd day). I’ll start by weaning her off of her greenies and gradually I’ll start adding carrots to her kibble.

I got a call from the showroom today saying that I might be fridgeless for another month I simply told her that they better have a hefty discount waiting (for the patience I’ve shown) when they eventually deliver the fridge. I’ve been without one for 2 months now so cooking fresh food is pretty much out of the question as any leftover ingredient or food has to be thrown.

#6 ·
K & L both LOVE fresh---esp. snow peas, carrot, asparagus, water-kress, celery, lettuce (esp. ice-berg crunchy part), and any kind of squash in very small pieces. Lisi loves fruit but Kitzi is very fussy (he doesn't really like it but may take a tiny piece if he is starving). When I am making salad each day both come begging for something!
I sure home the fridge gets there earlier than you think! Here in TX one could only go w/out a fridge for a day or two. I have used a container w/ice (bought) to keep some things cool when w/out fridge

#7 ·
K & L both LOVE fresh---esp. snow peas, carrot, asparagus, water-kress, celery, lettuce (esp. ice-berg crunchy part), and any kind of squash in very small pieces. Lisi loves fruit but Kitzi is very fussy (he doesn't really like it but may take a tiny piece if he is starving). When I am making salad each day both come begging for something!
I sure home the fridge gets there earlier than you think! Here in TX one could only go w/out a fridge for a day or two. I have used a container w/ice (bought) to keep some things cool when w/out fridge
Awww I totally understand the begging part! Whenever I’m making something in the kitchen I have Belle sitting on my feet hoping to get something!
I also think Kitzi and Belle would get on fabulously when it comes to turning up their noses on food 🤣 The other day I was at the butcher and thought I’d get Belle a treat so I got milk fed loin the butcher asked me why I only wanted 40-50 grams, so I told her it was for my Maltese. She told me that people had bought entrecôte for their dogs but it was the first time someone was buying milk fed loin. I smiled and said she’s my daughter! Guess what! What daughter turned her nose up at it 😅
I am currently using a camping box to store items but the ice melts within a day or two! Being in the mountains is pretty similar to the desert, it gets hot really fast and cold equally quickly.
I actually made the mistake of getting an inbuilt fridge, so now only specific dimensions will fit in the cupboard🙄 had someone warned me before I’d have stuck to the good old free standing fridges!

#8 ·
Maggie took the words right out of my mouth!! She knows her stuff. Please take her advice.
i def would start a probiotic ( I use Proviable DC )and would limit to just her dog food and one type of snack for the time being, introducing one thing at a time, within weeks apart. This can help isolate what the trigger may be for soft stools.

#9 ·
Yes I took her advice and stopped the greenies. This morning it was less soft but still smelly, I’ll give it a couple of days. Today I’ll pass by the pet store to see if they have probiotics if not I’ll call up my vet and see if they might have something.

#10 ·
Thank you so much!

Who would have thought that one little green treat could cause so much havoc! Belle’s back to doing normal poops. No more difficulty in picking them up and no more need for me to hold my breath.

She’s still a little gassy but I’ve ordered a probiotic (apparently it isn’t something that’s sold here very often but they’ve ordered a bottle for me.)

As for the bile test, her vet said that she looks healthy to him and he doesn’t see the need to run unnecessary tests, so I’ve let it drop for now...

But thank you all again 💕

#11 ·
Belle was spayed two weeks ago. After being spayed because of the antibiotics she had some diarrhea.

On Saturday she started doing REALLY smelly poops that are also soft. And she only goes potty in the morning (till last week she would go once/twice a day, sometimes even thrice a day). I’m adding her food journal so you get the gist of her daily eating habits.

I give her home made chicken jerky for breakfast (chicken marinated in peanut butter and soy sauce which I dry for 6–8 hours in the oven)
For lunch she gets 15 grams of Acana puppy kibble and the same for dinner.

She gets either
  • dehydrated sprats
  • Roasted duck breast
  • Roasted venison strips
  • Dried salmon fillets
For snacks, mainly when I’m eating my lunch/ dinner.

And before bed I give her a dental stick

Even though she’s eating well she only poops in the morning.

Do I need to change her diet? (I started her on kibble when I had work going on in my house. She’s still on it because it’s convenient and being a picky eater she’s actually eating it without issues and because it’s been 7 weeks and my fridge still hasn’t been delivered 🙄 getting work done during a pandemic wasn’t my brightest moment).

Should I give her stomach soothers? Normally I’d try giving her some yogurt with psyllium husk or chia seeds, but that’s more for an upset stomach.

Ps sometimes she does get gassy in bed and I do get up and bring her to her pad to do something but she doesn’t go, not till the next morning.

Pps she did have a delicate stomach when she’d come. Through trial and error I figured out what suited her and what didn’t. But this has been going on for 5 days now.
Maybe just give her one thing for a while to get her tummy back in line. p hucsk, chia etc.I am new to this site but Soy Sause has way to much salt for dogs but maybe you know something I don't. I understand your love and concern. As a child of mine when a toddler she would not eat well. the doc told me that I was giving her too many choices Only two items on her plate...she ate with no problems, it worked. My dogs only poop once a day just fine. Just so your baby drinks water she won't starve. Good days bad days just like us.

#12 ·
Welcome to the SM family Judy! You might be right about the soya sauce I was just following a recipe I’d found on google during the pandemic. With everything closed all of us had become professional chefs and bakers 🤣!
The reason I keep such a large variety of things on hand is because my vet told me to give Belle several meals a day according to her smaller breeds can’t go hungry for long periods of time!
But apart from her treats which she gets when I’m eating something I make sure to give her some fruit or raw veggie or probiotic yoghurt. So far it’s suited her 😊

#13 ·
Wow How do you get Belle to eat fruit, veggies. I have offered yogurt to Mazie with all of her tummy problems but a big no to that. It has been a long time since I have had a dog. All of the new research and importance of
food for dogs and cats(and people). You sound like a great fur baby parent. I will pick up more info. from members like yourself. For now it's trial and error as Mazie is a year old and starting all over again. We will adjust and learn along with the cat who is very upset with the attention the new kid is getting. Stay Safe.
Mazie's Mom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.