Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering, what the heck makes the area under Gizmo's eyes ( where they get tear stains) so smelly? The tears? But why so smelly!
When I shower him, I make sure to wash his face real good, and then I clean the area with tear stain cleaner thingy... but an hour goes by, it's wet from tears, and so darn smelly. It's unbearable, atleast to me. Are you're babies area smelly? Is there anything I can do to make it better? Or is it suppose to be like that (I doubt!) Advice please, please, pleaseeee!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
He may have a bacterical or yeast infection on the skin there. You should go to the vet. If he hasn't seen a veterinary ophthalmologist to rule out some eye disorder as the cause for excessive tearing, it would be a good idea.

For my dog who has no tear ducts so drains on his face I keep the hair in the corner of his eyes clipped close to the skin so that it is easy to clean and keep dry. I can also point triple antibiotic eye ointment on it as needed if he starts to get a little yucky.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 1 2005, 11:22 PM
He may have a bacterical or yeast infection on the skin there. You should go to the vet. If he hasn't seen a veterinary ophthalmologist to rule out some eye disorder as the cause for excessive tearing, it would be a good idea.

For my dog who has no tear ducts so drains on his face I keep the hair in the corner of his eyes clipped close to the skin so that it is easy to clean and keep dry. I can also point triple antibiotic eye ointment on it as needed if he starts to get a little yucky.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48285
[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that he's 11 weeks old and he hasn't been to the groomers, not until he gets all his shots, so that's why his area there isn't clipped. I only clip the hair in front of his eyes. But since day one, it's smelled. It looks pretty normal. Of course other than the fact that it's smelly and the hair there gets a bit yellowy looking? He doesn't have any tear staining, barely, hardly! Thank you! If there's no way I can fix this, I'll be sure to take a trip to the vet this week. I actually went today, for his second set of shots, but wasn't even thinking of it and the so called "VET" was in a HURRY, or so it seemed. New vet? Grr.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by gizmo&me@Apr 1 2005, 11:04 PM
I'm wondering, what the heck makes the area under Gizmo's eyes ( where they get tear stains) so smelly? The tears? But why so smelly! 
When I shower him, I make sure to wash his face real good, and then I clean the area with tear stain cleaner thingy... but an hour goes by, it's wet from tears, and so darn smelly. It's unbearable, atleast to me. Are you're babies area smelly? Is there anything I can do to make it better? Or is it suppose to be like that (I doubt!) Advice please, please, pleaseeee! 
Thanks!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48280
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by snuggles07+Apr 11 2005, 12:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gizmo&me
@Apr 1 2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48280
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51268
[/B][/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts