Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good snack or training treat for Tucker. I am also looking for something he can chew on in his x-pen that is good for his teath and gums. Never have I had a dog that loved nyla bones. They were always a waste of money for me.

I hear Cheerois are great treats.
Yesterday he got a ground roll up rawhidestick. He seemed to break off pieces of that but loved it.

From people on the post that like Greenies, I bought a box of "large" size that he is unable to break off pieces.

I do not believe in giving lots of treats but like to use them in training. With other breeds I am not as picky but with these little guys I do have concerns over changing of stools, choking etc.

Thanks,
Connie and Tucker

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Be sure to supervise Greenies. My breeder bought a bag of them and the dogs loved them but one of the dogs nearly choked to death, so she took them away and threw them in the garbage.

I found a treet that Bijou loves, AKC Lamb and Rice Treats, I purchased the little bag at Petco.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi and Nikki love the Solid Gold Jerky treats. They've tried the Lamb and Turkey ones. They are great because you can easily break them in to smaller pieces.

Here is a quote from Only Natural Pet Store
A bite sized jerky treat made with beef, lamb, or turkey, brown rice, oats, tapioca, cinnamon, and rosemary. Solid Gold Jerky Treats are soft enough for puppies or for older dogs with dental problems. 1 lb. pouch.

About Solid Gold Products:

Solid Gold specializes in the development of "non-allergenic" products, which work together to enhance total health, boost up the immune system and protect against disease. They always use wholesome USDA Choice lamb and beef meal, USDA grade I and II grains, and healthful monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils.

Solid Gold never uses chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin, which may be related to some diseases in pets. They never use wheat, corn or soy, which are often genetically modified and common allergens for dogs, causing them to have uncomfortable skin disorders, chew incessantly at their feet or suffer from chronic problems such as ear infections. They never add animal or poultry fat to our products, as these are saturated fats that may contribute to heart disease and certain types of cancer.[/B]

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jul 22 2005, 09:04 AM
Be sure to supervise Greenies.  My breeder bought a bag of them and the dogs loved them but one of the dogs nearly choked to death, so she took them away and threw them in the garbage.

I found a treet that Bijou loves, AKC Lamb and Rice Treats, I purchased the little bag at Petco.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83547
[/QUOTE]

I agree about the greenies. That is why I bought LARGE dog size. Tucker can't seem to break them like he does other things.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Doesn't matter what size greenie I buy, both dogs eat the entire thing. Sir N will have his finished within minutes. Little C will sometimes take up to an hour, but mainly because she spends a good deal of time sitting with her paw on it and laughing at Sir N who is finished and DESPERATELY wants to "help" her with hers.

They will both do whatever I ask when popcorn is present. And if I take out the bottle of nutritional yeast to shake over the popcorn or their food, they go wild with joy.

Sir N will do just about anything for some raw tofu, raw bell peppers, raw carrots, and seaweed. And they almost turn cartwheels for soy milk.

My kids mainly have whole foods for treats. Greenies are the only dog snacks I buy and they only get one a week.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup loooooves cheerios. she will do anything for even ONE cheerio, lol. she also lately has been getting gerber veggie puffs (sweet potato, please) and bits of gerber wagon wheel treats (apple or carrot flavor, please). they're very small, easy for them to chew (kind of like puffed rice or something), but on those occasions when she wants to savor the treat (and i break it up small, really!), it gets all mushy and in her face hair LOL. gross and gooey, but she is so happy

ann marie and the "ooooh i hear the can of veggie puffs..who's shaking the can of veggie puffs???" buttercup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts