Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really annoyed by this whole topic. I know that you really aren't supposed to bring dogs to restaurants. However, we have done it many times now. I know its wrong, but on weekends we are out for a whole day and we have Miko with us and he stays so quiet in his Juicy bag that we just do it all the time. Why is it so wrong? Someone on another forum suggested its not "fun" for the dog. Well, I disagree. We always put the bag on a chair and he either faces the window or some other view that he finds entertaining. I always feed him before or during our meal. If he didn't enjoy it, he would let us know (as he does with plenty of other things). Although its a health violation, so is not washing hands for employees at restaurants or what about all these restaurants that get a grade of "B" or lower? That implies they have some violation. I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm kinda biased because my family owns restaurants. I've never taken my dogs into a restaurant, even ours. I guess all the health code stuff has been drilled into my head since I was a little girl
. We even had complaints because a woman had her guide dog with her just recently...that's allowed but lots of people just don't like having dogs around. I mean, the guide dog was just sitting at her feet but it gave a lot of customers the heebie jeebies...

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have done it, though in most cases the other customers and the owners were not aware that my bag had a dog in it. Tiki loves to go in his bag and he will just lay there and chew on a bone or sleep. I often feed him little treats while we are eating and he stays quiet. Most often I do this because we are traveling for a day or more and I don't want to leave him in the car.

In most of Europe dogs are allowed most anywhere people are. They are well behaved and well cared for.

I believe most people who want to take their dog into a restaurant or other public place are doing so because the animal is well cared for and very loved. My dog behaves better then most children in public places. People often let their kids run around restaurants, climb on the booths and crawl on the floors. I have also witnessed parents putting their child on service counter, wet diaper and all. These actions are much more disturbing and unsanitary than my dog sleeping in a bag that I carry into a resteraunt.

Just so other moms and dads know I am not against children, I have two of my own and I never let them behave in the manor I mentioned above.... both of my children and my dog are very well trained :D :D :D .

Well, I will get off of my soap box now... sorry for the long winded post,
but this is one of those "pet" peeves I have.

Judi

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I've done it....
I haven't done it recently though. My husband HATES it when I do...he hates it when I bring him into stores too..

-c

·
Registered
408 Posts
Vinny goes everywhere with me. In our town it is common to go for coffee every day, so we use the don't ask don't tell. He is much happier being in his bag beside me than being left alone. So he has been to coffee shops, fancy restaurants, malls, grocery shopping, you name it he has been there. He is clean, quiet and content.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Zoey goes everywhere with me: restaurants, movies, grocery stores, libraries, etc.

She is quiet and clean and the bag is completely enclosed. I don't see any germs 'leaking' out of her bag.

So people think I am crazy. The way I look at it, she with me. Period.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I would not do it unless they allow it. My reason for this, I have a friend that is very, very allergic to dogs and cats. Some people just have very bad allergies to certain animals. It kind of the same thing as now they do not allow peanuts in schools.
I have been to a few restaurants that allow dogs but that was in Collinwood , Ontario.
Mind you I have taken our puppies in block buster for 10 min. I run in and out.
I don't leave them in the car.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Boy, a lot of it must depend on where you live. Here, people bring their small dogs with them everywhere. I take our puppy all over...to lunch, shopping, the mall, etc. I have never been told not to bring her in, except for the post office! I do always check before I go somewhere new. and if they say no, then I usually don't go. I think it's one thing to bring a large dog into a restaurant....and quite another to have a small dog in a carrier with no potential for escape. If you are comfortable doing it, and the establishment doesn't object, then by all means go ahead and bring your pup in!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@May 6 2005, 11:23 AM
I would not do it unless they allow it.  My reason for this,  I have a friend that is very, very allergic to dogs and cats.  Some people just have very bad allergies to certain animals.  It kind of the same thing as now they do not allow peanuts in schools.
I have been to a few restaurants that allow dogs but that was in Collinwood , Ontario.
Mind you I have taken our puppies in block buster for 10 min.  I run in and out.
I don't leave them in the car.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60413
[/QUOTE]
I have a bigger problem with cigarette smoking in restaurants....I can handle dogs (I too am highly allergic) but cigarettes are in a different category all together!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I do not do it unless I have the permission of the resturant. My thinking is this, in an area food is served having a non-service dog can be a violation. I would not want to be the reason a resteraunt is fined. Who knows who is there while you are eating. The other reason, my dogs aren't allowed to be around the table at home while we are eating so....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@May 6 2005, 12:24 PM
Boy, a lot of it must depend on where you live.  Here, people bring their small dogs with them everywhere.  I take our puppy all over...to lunch, shopping, the mall, etc.  I have never been told not to bring her in, except for the post office!  I do always check before I go somewhere new. and if they say no, then I usually don't go.  I think it's one thing to bring a large dog into a restaurant....and quite another to have a small dog in a carrier with no potential for escape.  If you are comfortable doing it, and the establishment doesn't object, then by all means go ahead and bring your pup in!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60414
[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. In collenwood it was so cute. They even gave the puppy a plate and he was sitting at the table. It was a very cute little dog.
We were kind of upset cause when we called the hotel they said no dogs and then when we got there people had there dogs with them.

Cigarettes bug me a lot too, my eyes start to water badly and then burn.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one sneaking Miko into restaurants. We usually use the "don't ask don't tell" policy too.

As far as people being allergic, I don't think our clean baby completely covered in a bag and very far from most people in the same room would cause allergies. On the other hand, second hand smoke will cause lung cancer.

I am done with the other forum. I used to still check posts there sometimes, but the people there are completely rude and nasty. On this topic, I was called "he" (not sure why) and that I was trying to be like "Jessica Simpson" (who I have never even heard of until recently) and that I was so "pretentious". Of course this is the same poster who said buying distilled water for your dog is wasting too much money. This forum is so much better. I realize that this is a controversial topic, but why the personal attacks?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I used to do it ALLLL the time!

I cant anymore because kodie barks!! When kodie was still really young he wouldnt make a sound... so it was easy to take him anywhere in a bag. He would just sleep while we ate.

·
Banned
258 Posts
i take canaille everywhere and most of the time she's not even on a leash let alone a carrier. she follows my every step and never barks. the butcher shop (her favorite), the fruit store, the deli, pastry shop, hardware store, grocery store (she sits in the grocery cart in the kid's spot), pharmacy, the bank, the post office (dogs are not allowed but they love her there, they even weighed her on the scale: 4 pounds), the dentist, doctor's office (turned out the dr. wanted a maltese and we talked about maltese for half an hour!), planes, trains, boats, buses, subways, scooter. i even took her to the movie theatre although that was not planned, spur of the moment type of thing.
she always travels on my lap in public transport, including planes. we have never had any trouble in hotels and restaurants except in USA. never have i encountered such intolerance towards dogs. no dogs allowed in parks, on beaches, on boardwalk let alone restaurants and/or hotels. canaille was not even allowed in the gated community where i was staying (i had no choice about that location), so i had to hide her everytime i went through that gate (every single day for 3 months). needless to say, she is an expert at laying low although outside of USA this particular skill rarely comes handy anymore.
do i understand the no-dog restaurant law? when i consider the filthy hygiene of so many of these establishments, i have to scratch my head. personnally, i'm more concerned about cockroaches, rats, flies and foods left out on slimy restaurant counters than i am about a lil dog sitting in his/her carrier. and don't fool yourselves, you'd be surprised at what goes on even in these fancy restaurants kitchens. oh well, as long as dogs are not allowed on the premises, we must be safe.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
No way would I do it. Puddles would smell the food and bark or hear kids and bark. I don't want the hassle of being asked to leave or making me mad.

We have taken Puddles on day trips and prior us going in a restaurant he would get to potty, water and several treats. Hubby will sneak out and check on him, hes always laying in his bed sleeping.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by suzanne@May 6 2005, 12:21 PM
do i understand the no-dog restaurant law? when i consider the filthy hygiene of so many of these establishments, i have to scratch my head. personnally, i'm more concerned about cockroaches, rats, flies and foods left out on slimy restaurant counters  than i am about a lil dog sitting in his/her carrier. and don't fool yourselves, you'd be surprised at what goes on even in these fancy restaurants kitchens. oh well, as long as dogs are not allowed on the premises, we must be safe.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60502
[/QUOTE]

This is my point exactly. Although wedo eat out, I am fully aware that restaurants aren't always following health code violations...meats being left out, employees washing hands, etc. Its hard to believe that a little dog would really compromise the cleansiness (or lack of it) in a an establishment.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't understand the logic behind the no dog here in the US either. I come from France and there you can take your dog almost everywhere you want to. You can even sit him on a chair at the table and they will bring a plate for him. And nobody will be annoyed by it.

I don't take Alex here anywhere because my husband does not want to brake the rules. And anyway, he is more comfortable at home then in a bag. But we sure would appreciate being able to take him inside a restaurant when we are on the road.

My daughter is general manager at a restaurant and she will let people sit with their dog on the patio. She personally would not mind inside but cannot risk the business being fined if someone will complain.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i did it ALL THE TIME!!!

screw what everyone says....the only reason i stopped doing it is because we couldnt fit gruffi in the carrier anymore.
seriously...when we got gruffi when he was 5 weeks---we took him EVERYWHERE with us and the girls...it stopped by the time he was like 7 weeks old. ....just because he didnt fit!

ellie didnt really like it, but sprite LOVED being with me at all times. we took sprite shopping, to restaurants, the movies...everywhere!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i can kinda see both ways on this issue.

on one hand, i take lucy into restaurants all the time and she is always welcome even when she is visible. yay melbourne!! i'd be a little angry being asked to leave

on the other hand, i do respect that some people just have big problems fathoming a dog in a restaurant. like, there are just some things that are hard to overcome, and a dog, regardless of whether its in a bag, just might BOTHER certain people.

that being said, i'll continue to bring lucy w/ me when i go out

1 - 20 of 46 Posts