Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday evening I had Bella at the emergency room vet for this reverse sneezing problem she has. This time however it was different because when she slept she sounded congested. I could hear her breathing - like a baby trying to breath through mucus. The good news is she checked out fine - no discharge from her eyes or nose and her lungs were clear.

Tuesday she went for her dog training class and the women who works with her called me at work to mention that Bella had been sneezing that day.

So yesterday I took her to our regular vet and gave the whole history of what had been happening since Saturday -- again Bella checked out fine. She gave me an antihistimine(sp) to give her before bed time. Which I did. She still had that mucousey sounding breathing this morning, but only when she is sleeping.

Bella is 9 months. I asked the vet if it could be allergies and she said that Bella was too young for allergies and it was probably just a little cold.

Anyone else have this problem? She is eating fine and playing with her pal Topper and the vets keep saying she is ok. I am supposed to tape her breathing the next time this starts and take the tape in to the vet.

Thanks,

Sharon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jun 2 2005, 09:09 AM
Lexi has done that twice.  Scared the crap out of me!  I forgot to mention it to the vet last time I was there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67969
[/QUOTE]
Her vet did make one suggestion for the reverse sneezing. When it starts, stroke them under the chin, where they swallow. This will help them swallow and stops the honking. I unfortunately had the opportunity to test it out this morning and it did work.

Sharon

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Shareyn@Jun 2 2005, 09:03 AM
Saturday evening I had Bella at the emergency room vet for this reverse sneezing problem she has.  This time however it was different because when she slept she sounded congested. I could hear her breathing - like a baby trying to breath through mucus.  The good news is she checked out fine - no discharge from her eyes or nose and her lungs were clear.

Tuesday she went for her dog training class and the women who works with her called me at work to mention that Bella had been sneezing that day.

So yesterday I took her to our regular vet and gave the whole history of what had been happening since Saturday -- again Bella checked out fine. She gave me an antihistimine(sp) to give her before bed time.  Which I did.  She still had that mucousey sounding breathing this morning, but only when she is sleeping. 

Bella is 9 months.  I asked the vet if it could be allergies and she said that Bella was too young for allergies and it was probably just a little cold.

Anyone else have this problem? She is eating fine and playing with her pal Topper and the vets keep saying she is ok.  I am supposed to tape her breathing the next time this starts and take the tape in to the vet.

Thanks,

Sharon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67949
[/QUOTE]

I don't think 9 months old is too young to have allergies. Massimo has allergies...it gets really bad in the spring and it happens again in the fall. The vet told me to give Massimo 1/4 tsp of childrens benadryl if he starts the reverse sneazing (every 12 hrs or so But I usually give it once a day and he's fine). I get them at the same times and I'm on meds too!! My husband says he must got them from MY side of the family LOL.

-c

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Shareyn+Jun 2 2005, 10:06 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jun 2 2005, 09:09 AM
Lexi has done that twice.  Scared the crap out of me!  I forgot to mention it to the vet last time I was there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67969
Her vet did make one suggestion for the reverse sneezing. When it starts, stroke them under the chin, where they swallow. This will help them swallow and stops the honking. I unfortunately had the opportunity to test it out this morning and it did work.

Sharon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68026
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah that was what I did. The first time she did it was like at 5AM. I was sleeping and heard her making some weird noise. I went running out to her. She looked so scared. Her muscles were all contracted. It did sound like she was trying to breath through a bunch of mucus. I had no idea what to do. It only lasted for a few minutes. I was ready to take her to the emergancy vet when she stopped. She was fine. I kept an eye on her for the rest of the day and she acted like her normal self.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My first Maltese Chumley started with allergies the very first year.

He also had this kind of reaction to a bordatella vaccine......then the next one he had a full blown allergy to bordatella. (kennel cough vaccine). So, beware!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts